The little superlight people just can't believe

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The little superlight people just can\'t believe

Well, technically it's a mod but I put it here because it's 99.9% SureFire. Some of you may know it. It's Nascar's mod inspired by Don (McGizmo) that puts a P61 (120 Lumens) into a standard E2E bezel with a few clever alterations.

By now my friends and colleagues have grown pretty familiar with and rather blasé about my lights since many of them have been pressed into observer duty for my "Urban Throw Tests". Certainly they're still impressed by the Tigerlight, SN II, MagCharger, US, M6!, 9P/SRTH/N2 and the three 2x123 super-long throw lights, but they no longer register that first "shock of disbelief" at seeing lights capable of seemingly impossible performance.

Except when I demonstrated this mod one evening recently. I showed it to them, even let them handle it (locked out of course) , then aimed it at a building wall of solid travertine, slowly panning vertically to approximately 60 feet. The universal reaction was "That's not possible!" They were simply unable to reconcile the tiny size and 3.2oz weight with the wide floodlight beam that illuminated a large swath of the admittedly light colored building.

The P61 in its appropriate standard bezel projects a beam approximately 2x the diameter of the P60 for twice the lumens and therefore is not "brighter" but impressively massive and still relatively focused. The P61 altered to fit the slightly changed E2E bezel throws an even wider beam, reminiscent of a MN03 on steroids; many steroids. Despite its increased diameter there is somehow an impression of more total light than the normally-bezeled P61, perhaps because of its perfectly blended beam.

It is surprising how long the P61 will remain white if it is used judiciously, in which case heat buildup is not an issue.

Brightnorm

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The little superlight people just can\'t believe

Nice observations Norm, will it never end? , our ability to see something new in something old?

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
Nice observations Norm, will it never end? , our ability to see something new in something old?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicely put keithr and no, it will never end!

BN

scuba

Enlightened

Any beamshots available on the forum?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm,

Great review! Where'd you get the instructions to get a P91 into the E2E?

Bucky

Enlightened

I completely agree that this mod makes for one amazingly bright small light. I have my Nascar bezel on an E2e body with the smaller non-LOTC E2 tailcap and yclo clickie switch. The E2 tailcap makes the E2e even shorter and the clickie allows for more utility for non-tactical use. The E2e truly has become a platform for many mods and multiple uses and applications. Nascar's mod certainly is a great example of that.

Bucky

alberto

Enlightened

I'll just add my kudos to Nascar for his excellent E2e/P61 mod. What a great light. Doesn't give a hint of being a mod, installs in seconds, and has the best incandescent pattern (smooth, uniform, no artifacts) I've seen. And did I mention, VERY bright. It blows away my only other 100+ lumen light, an ASP Triad II.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The little superlight people just can\'t believ

I asked Nascar to do one of these for me, too. Sometimes when I turn it on I surprise myself! I don't think that beamshots alone will convey what this light is. It's value is in the surprise that erupts when such a tiny little light is turned on.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus said:
Brightnorm,

Great review! Where'd you get the instructions to get a P91 into the E2E?

[/ QUOTE ]

From Nascar. Actually it's a P61, but he altered another E2E bezel fo me and a P91 for my UBH 3x123. This of course is extremely impressive, but heat buildup is much faster and the UBH doesn't make for convenient EDC.

BN

jcciv

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Bucky said:
... with the smaller non-LOTC E2 tailcap and yclo clickie switch...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that? Where did you get it?

Thanks,

John

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
JohnCrighton said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bucky said:
... with the smaller non-LOTC E2 tailcap and yclo clickie switch...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is that? Where did you get it?

Thanks,

John

[/ QUOTE ]

He may be referring to the SureFire Z57 clickie that comes as standard equipment on the L4, possibly orderable as a separate item from SF.

Brightnorm

B@rt

Flashaholic

Try here for mor info about YC's clickie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
fd2d7c85.jpg

E series clickie again?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hadn't heard about yclo's clickie either, a pointer would be greatly appreciated. I was about to order a Z57 or whatever the new clickie tailcap is for the E-series, but if there's something better or smaller, I'm all for it.

BTW, agree with everyone above on the McGizmo-inspired Nas mod. Actually, the other nice thing about the mod is that while I'm too mentally deficient to have put the thing together from scratch, I know with Nas's original in front of me, I could create another one. Once you have the working model doing more will be no prob (I think!).

Joe

Brock

Flashaholic

Oh Man something else I HAVE to buy now.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I've tried different 123's in this light: Sanyos, Duracells (regular) and Surefires, and my *very* unscientific observation seems to confirm previously stated results, that the SFs appear to do better than the others with very heavy loads.

Brightnorm

larryk

Enlightened

Can this mod be done to a E2e satin gray or just the E2e HA. The reason I ask is the bezels look different on the E2e SG verses the E2e HA on Surefires web site. Also on Surefires web site they say it has a lexan lens. Larry.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
larryk said:
Can this mod be done to a E2e satin gray or just the E2e HA. The reason I ask is the bezels look different on the E2e SG verses the E2e HA on Surefires web site. Also on Surefires web site they say it has a lexan lens. Larry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry,

Nascar is the one to answer these questions.

BN