Help With My First CR123 Light

C

charge

Hi Folks,

I need some help from you all. I currently carry a Fenix L2d-CE. I was going to upgrade to a newer 2xAA light but then I started researching 123's. I am kinda convinced its the way to go. My main reason for the AA batteries was availability. I now see that I can get bulk 123s online and only have to hit one of the big box stores in an emergency. I was also happy with the online prices for 123s

I plan to purchase this light from 4Sevens. I am looking at the Quark 2x123 Tactical first then the Regular 2x123. I am looking to go with Quark or Fenix for right now. I will pick up a 10 pack of 4sevens 123s as well I think.

I like the programming of the Tactical, but I am worried about the exposed tailcap. I somehow find a way to get my L2D-CE turned on while in the holster. Does the flap on the Quark Holster help that?

Is there a Fenix light I should look at?

I am looking for opinions/insight into these make/models

Thanks in advance for your help

charge

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know I'm going to catch Hell for this, but what the heck . . . Since you mentioned that you've researched CR123s, I'm assuming you've read all the nightmare stories regarding CR123 cells that are Made in China. While PMing a Seller on the CPF MarketPlace about possibly buying his slightly used Quark, he mentioned that 47s CR123 cells are Made in China. I found this to be very disappointing. It's true that the best bargains are found online with regards to CR123 cells. Also true that it's best to buy in bulk. But buy only Made in America CR123 cells. It's not about national pride, it's about Q.C. and being sure that your multi-cell CR123 light doesn't accidentally become a pipe-bomb.

As far as lights go, my Fenix P3D Q5 is one of the most compact 2xCR123 lights out there. Despite having a reverse-clickie, I love mine. Check out the updated PD30 as well. If you really prefer a recessed tailcap, I believe Lighthound.com has the older P3D version in stock.

One way to avoid accidental activation is to use a twisty model. The Fenix PD10 is worth a look. Runs on one CR123 cell. No tailcap at all, handy pocket-carry clip, and can tailstand. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Charge,

I have a Quark 123 (NOT 2x's), which is the tactical version. I've worn it in the standard holster since buying it and haven't had it turn on. The UI is easy too.

I cannot comment on your model consideration but I can tell you the Quark 123 has been great for me, and the service at 4-7's has also been top-notch.

Christian

C

charge

Thanks for the help. I may have overstated the light turning on in the holster issue. Its happened less than 10 times in two years.

Thanks for the info on the Chinese 123s

I have never gotten into rechargables. I have been buying Energizer E2 AAs for my current light. I have been haappy with the cost to runtime ratio. Now I need to find a good source for bulk 123s

I am now trying to decide between the Quark Tactical 2x123 and The Fenix PD30 R4. Can anybody elaborate on these two lights?

How many of you are happy just using Primaries and not rechargables?

Thanks,
charge

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I've been carrying some 2xAA torches, including Quark AA2 (and L2D) and I have to say that for everyday use for me I think the 2 x 123 appears to be a much a better size body. So much so that I've ordered a 2 x 123 body and a single 17670 rechargeable for it so that I can fit it to my current Quarks to test out my belief that it's the perfect carry size.

There was available from Quark a "turbo flat tailcap" that was tactical but not with an exposed button. It could be just the thing for you though it currently lists as out of stock on the 4sevens website.