Garmin eTrex Vista GPS

K A

Enlightened
I have been debating on whether to get a GPS, and if I do, what kind to purchase. I noticed that Garmin has a $50 rebate which expires this coming Sunday July 6th. It covers the eTrex Summit, Legend, and Vista GPS units.

I have looked around online at the Vista model, as it has the most memory (24mb) and hence able to store more information. Though it has no external antenna hookup.

The cheapest price I have seen for this is online at BassPro Shops website. They have this unit online for $299.00 (doesnt mention anything about an after rebate price). This is the cheapest price online I have come across for this unit. All the other prices going over $320.

Does anyone have any opions about this model? Or perhaps another brand to look at?

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Garmin is the best!

Only thing would be though it has the most memory
it also has the shortest battery life.
You may want to go a unit or two down. (I.E. Legend)
Also the new Geko301 is almost the same thing only smaller
(and even less battery life)

Also keep in mind the right model for Long-hikes or
GeoCashing or CarTravel will be the wrong model for the other two

Also check on the Rebate it only work if buying from a Garmin
Dealer (I think) make sure who ever you buy from is if you want
to use that rebate. E-Bay normally has the best deals
(Esepcially on the Mid-Range models like the Legend or Geko 201 )

Let us know what you think of it as I think I'll be
tradeing out my Lowerance someday soon.

K A

Enlightened
Rebate is not good for purchases made at online Auctions. So Ebay is out. I checked Garmin's webpage and BassPro is a listed dealer so buying it online should hopefully still qualify.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I have a Vista and love it. Great for my backpacking trips though, as mentioned, battery life is only about 8 hrs with 1800 mAh NiMH cells. Garmin routinely has firware updates, too. See USENET sci.geo.satellite-nav for lots of discussions.

I bought mine at Oshmans. They send out 25% off one item coupons in the newspaper pretty regularly. I've had mine for about a year and they were pretty hard to find discounted.

Also, you will need to spend more $$$ on map software; the initial investment is just that. For example, I have Topo USA, Garmin Metro Guide, and Garmin - another $100 each.

avusblue

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the Garmin GPS, I own an eTrex Legend. I bought mine from an eBay seller, back in summer of 2001. I posted the following a couple weeks ago:

GPS's are very fun toys that happen to have some utilitarian benefit as well. Sound familiar to us flashoholics?

My max recorded speed is 622 mph, in a descending Northwest Airlines Boeing 727 on September 10, 2001. I've never reset that field, as its unlikely to be beat and its also a warm reminder of pre-9/11 aviation and of a now departed classic of the skies, the B-727.

I highly recommend the eTrex Legend. To me, it has the perfect blend of features -- not too many that it's cumbersome or overcomplicated, yet with sufficient detail on the mapping features. It's very easy to scroll thru the screens and set up & use the features. I've taken it all over the world, but most of its use is when it's clipped to the handlebars of my road bicycle, where it serves as my trip computer . . . its fun to watch one's altitude so I know exactly the vertical lift I just sweated through as I crest each hill!

Enjoy and good luck,

Dave

And I had posted this back in January:

I have owned the Garmin eTrex Legend for about a year and a half, and have been very happy with it. I've used it with success in cars, bikes, and airplanes. The user interface is easy and intuitive and it has the right blend of features (incl. mapping) and ease of use. Also it's a compact, palmable size and is durable and water resistant. The operating system is well supported and upgradable. Lots of accessories available. And, it's a reasonable value. Overall, I give it an A.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have the Vista model as well and really like it. It is the "Big" brother to the GPS III+ that lives in my Jeep. It is a good unit and I think the electronic compass and barometer features are what set it apart. The electronic compass keeps going even when you are still and when you can't see any sats. It could be a real life saver. The cost of the unit along with additional CDs is a factor, but, I wouldn't buy a GPS that didn't have mapping and the ability to add and delet detailed maps as needed.

jtice

Flashaholic

Willmore

Enlightened
They don't sell GPSs themselves, I think, but they do sell tons of accessories. I've purchased from them a half dozen times and been very happy: www.gpsgeek.com or [email protected]

I had a defective cable, once and they replaced it with no problems and they tested the replacement to ensure it was good. I'd recommend them.

OBdisclaimer: I don't work for them, I don't own them, etc. I just like them.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I have a Vista too which i use mostly for cycling and walking.
I'm quite happy with it, but there are some niggles: the joystick can be balky, the screen is a bit small for cycling, and reception is poor under trees. And it's a pity it isn't yellow, like the base model. Otherwise a fine product, and my third Garmin, so I guess I like their stuff.
I did manage to finally "drown" the display on my 12map though, in a 2 hour rainstorm (I was on the bike, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ), and I believe that's more waterproof than an eTrex.

You could consider the Magellan Meridian too: I've heard it has better sattelite reception, and there's a model with more or less the same features as the Vista.

K A

Enlightened
Thanks to all that have given their suggestions. I decided to pass on the Garmin for the time being. It is not a mission critical item for me so I figure I can wait a while.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vista is inuse with several spec ops units because of its feature packed small package. I have also thought about the vista but the GPS 2+ is still running strong.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Vista does seem like a very cool device, and a useful replacement for the more traditional compass, especially since it's so small. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One question though... and you folks seem like you'd know. My wife is... how do I put this politely... sometimes navigationally challenged when driving. For a long time I've been thinking of buying some sort of GPS system that I could use to program where she intends to go at the start of a trip, then it could give her driving directions along the way, complete with some sort of prompting (beep would be fine, doesn't necessarily need to talk) when a turn is approaching, and of course it should be able to reroute her on-the-fly when she goes off course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

But as I'm not Bill Gates' nephew, I need to find something that could do what I need at the most reasonable price.

I assume the Vista won't do this. (Might get a Vista as a toy for me, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) What would you folks recommend as a GPS at a good value pricewise to accomplish the navigational needs for my wife?

BTW, the device gets brownie points for being easy to move back-and-forth between our cars.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Street Pilot III. The newer fancy touch screen is coming out but the Street Pilot III should do just fine for her. Because the fancy touch screen unit is coming out, prices should go down on the III.

Skyline

Enlightened
Yup, the SP3 has nice audio prompts and directions. I can't tell you how many times it saved me from getting lost. LOL.

jtice

Flashaholic
You will need something like the SP3, with a larger screen.

The etrex series are great, but not for in the car. You cant operate it well while its on the dash, or see it well. Its for outdoor use.

zorba

Enlightened
I second what jtice said. I have an emap and the etrex vista and use them mainly on my car or motorcycle and the emap is like ten times more user friendly for these uses. If I had the cash though and more importantly, if there was a garmin CD map for my country I d buy the SP3

ewick

Enlightened
If anyone's looking for a good price on a Vista, go here

$249.75 plus shipping. Mine is supposed to be in today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Blikbok

Enlightened
mhejl:

Your battery-life quote is for the WAAS-enabled mode, with barometer and compass on?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now I've got to save for yet another purchase... Can't wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One question. Does the SP3 come with the maps built-in, or will I need to buy additional software to load onto it?