Noticed something strange....

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
I assembled a 'TW4' today to build a dedicated low-med 1 level general purpose light for auxillary EDC, complimenting the C2 listed in my sig line, and the D2 as well.

When I assembled the light I used the stock tailcap that came with the E1e, and while not as bright on one primary cell as on two, obviously, is still pretty good. Well I thought, the crenalated tailcap from my E2DL would make a good addition to the package for it's tailstanding qualities, so I swap them out and there is a difference in output using this tailcap! Probably ~25% less bright. There is also some noticable flickering that is not there when using the L4 body or running the stock incan bulb and the old style Z57 tailcap.

What gives? Would this increase or decrease runtime? How do I stop the flickering?

Thanks in advance,

J

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a bored 6P body that does the same thing with 18650s. With every drop-in that supports 6v and 3.7v I get a low, flickering output using my brand new 18650s, but not with primaries. When tested in another 18650 compatible light, the same drop-in works fine with the same 18650.

I feel ya. I'm stumped myself.

My E2DL tailcap works great on my E1B, I don't know why it would be any different with the E1E body. The size and threads are identical are they not. :thinking:

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the E2DL tailcap fits fine, (it doesn't match though), it just flickers at turn on, and is quite a bit dimmer than the old style Z57.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took the 6P apart and cleaned EVERY part that touched. Where the drop-in touches the bezel, the inside of the body, the tail cap, everything with alcohol.

It's fixed now. See if taking the tail cap apart and cleaning fixes anything. They are too easy to take apart to not too :)

Last edited:

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I should've thought of that!

The 'KISS' principle should always be looked at first!!

The flickering is almost completely gone, and the light is equally bright with both tailcaps.

Thanks again,

J

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still some flickering? That's odd. I mean the problem has been isolated to the tail cap. A cleaning only partly fixed the problem.

I would probably let the tail cap sit in some acetone at this point lol nah

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
It seems to flicker now only when I press the tailcap switch to it's max inward travel, when I release it, the flickering stops. I think I can live with it now, but it does seem weird. I have a newer style Z57 it does the same thing with, even with the incan MN01. The old style does great!

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe the tail cap is on too tight? Fiddling with it might yield a result.

This is the first time I've seen two people carry on a conversation with no other idea :poke:

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the tail cap is on too tight? Fiddling with it might yield a result.

This is the first time I've seen two people carry on a conversation with no other idea :poke:

Tried that too! But once it clicks on it's fine. So I've seen improvment anyway!

Thanks for the pointers Search, they were a big help.

J

Now I need to get some RCR123's!!

knightrider

Enlightened
TW4 - now that's old school lego cool!

I put one together about a year ago when I got a E1B. Wanted to see how the TW4 was by todays standards. Mine did the same thing. Would like to think it's a battery thing since the head is really supposed to work on 2.

Just tried my setup again, but with the E1L body I have now. When it first turns on flickering occurs, then it goes away pretty quickly after turning on. Probably stops flickering after 1 sec, normal light after that, no flickering at all. When turning light off, it flickering when the tailcap is just starting to be pressed.

Not sure how the TW4's functioned 'back in the day' when it was a fashionable setup...

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
It could be battery related I guess, but when the old style Z57 is installed with the KL4, no flicker. I guess, I just won't be able to tailstand it, or deal with the flicker when it's installed.