Restored Streamlight Baton Lite

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
I got this Streamlight Baton Lite included as a freebie from a BST I made on CPF. It was kind of beat up from being on a key ring and didn't have a light engine either. Original was 3 5mm LEDs vintage ~2003 used 3 N cells and frosted lens.
batonlite_orig.jpg

I restored it by first dismantling it and sand blasting it with aluminum oxide. Sorry no pic of that (forgot)
Then I anodized it
100_0628.jpg

100_0624.jpg

after anodizing and dyeing OD green, I didn't remove the original anodizing from the threads. Still can see the black and shows the OD green better.
100_0629_cr.jpg

Then I got 3 new 5mm LEDs from CPF member Grumpy, (thanks Grumpy they are great!) I used some perforated electronics board to hold the LEDs and soldered the positives together to form the battery contact and the negatives wrapped around the outside to contact the barrel of the light.
100_0638.jpg

installed a o-ring between switch and barrel to prevent accidental turnon of light and covered with shrink wrap for some protection. Painted a red stripe for something a bit different. Saw that on a light called the Spear!
100_0647.jpg

100_0645_cr-1.jpg

some beam shots
100_0644.jpg

100_0643.jpg

I think it came out great, pretty bright, the 3 N cells really overdrive the LEDs and they are nice and white. I hope they last, as near as I can tell this is the same configuration Streamlight used in the original without any resistors, so I guess it will be alright. Don't need a :poof:

Last edited:

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
there is nothing to doing anodizing except for the initial investment which is power supply, dyes, sealer, deox solution and some battery acid. The rest is pretty common like plastic tupperware tank, some aluminum wire, stainless pot to heat up the dye and sealer. You can get everything from caswellplating.com and for small stuff you don't need that big of a power supply.