Wives/girlfriends and new lights-keeping peace

richpalm

Banned
"You got ANOTHER FLASHLIGHT!?"

Pretty much enough said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif How do you all deal with this when the latest Super Surefire shows up at the door or when you want the same?

I don't quite know how to explain away why I *need* an M3 or whatever. Anyone got any input on this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My apologies if I put this in the wrong forum-not quite sure what category this falls into. How about "dilemma?"

Thanks all,

Rich

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If she likes jewelery buy her some at the same time. Or shoes or clothes...

And get her a turquoise Photon II. I don't know what it is about that color but women like it.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Very true DavidW....my daughter took one look at my ARC AAA tq and I have not seen it since! Loves tht color! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
My wife has gotten used to my growing collections of compasses, flashlights and knives. As long as I keep it in moderation everything is fine. She also collects things so we stay fairly even with each other expense wise. Of course I'm lucky that my latest purchase (An Ultra Stinger that was at her request for daylight in a tube /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif )

Chris

Tomas

Banned
I was married for 26 years and there were a lot of things that
each of us just ignored when the other got the urge for another
trinket.

I never challenged her about new lingerie or shoes or books,
and she did the same for my tools, electronic gadgets, and books.

Some things just are and can't be rationally explained ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

(edited to add "trinket" in the first sentence - thanks, Brightnorm)

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
I was married for 26 years and there were a lot of things that each of us just ignored when the other got the urge for another.

I never challenged her about new lingerie or shoes or books, and she did the same for my tools, electronic gadgets, and books.

Some things just are and can't be rationally explained ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not currently married but my longtime girlfriend and I have come to the same arrangement, though she does show some positive interest in my hobby.

Unless financial pressures are severe, live and let live sems to work best.

BTW Tomas, your first sentence could be misinterpreted by those with evil minds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

Viper

Newly Enlightened
Have them shipped to your work, so there is no "package" at the door that says "Tactical Warehouse". Another trick is get every light in HA green color. (E3e, M3, M2, A2, L4, etc). They look similar, and some wifes may not notice the difference.

richpalm

Banned
Mr. Bulk: Thanks.. some interesting points there. I gotta figure out which ones might work.

Viper: Can't ship to work-we both work on the same floor at the same hospital!

Thanks to all-this is interesting and entertaining. Keep 'em coming!

Rich

MicroE

Enlightened
Find a way to make your toys useful around the house.

My wife and I just finished diagnosing an electrical problem in our refrigerator. She pointed the Surefire C2 inside the freezer while I tested the circuit components. (A 6V Surefire really makes appliance repair easier than a 2D Maglite.)

"Nice flashlight" was her only comment. If she had to hold a big 4D Maglite over her head for several minutes I'm sure that I would have heard comments about its weight.---Marc

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Tomas -

I have explained to my wife that all lingere purchases
(of any and all dollar amounts)
are pre-approved by me without question! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif
(I hope that this does not constitute TMI - Too Much Information)

I have a monthly "Flashlight Budget". As long as I do not exceed my limit,
there are no questions asked. She just
shakes her head and smiles when UPS/FedEx, etc. show up!

It also helps that she is hooked on Longaberger baskets . . .
She understands the collector "need"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

grnamin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chris T said:
As long as I keep it in moderation everything is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
That reminds me of a Hagar the Horrible cartoon where he's confronted by his wife about his drinking. He then claims that he always drinks in moderation. Next scene shows him stepping into a bar named "Moderation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
My wife liked my Arc LS so much that I gave her one for Christmas. It's now her EDC. So it was easier to explain the newest Arc LS-P as "they may not make it much longer and this is the premium model!" Sometimes I use the don't ask, don't tell approach, but you have to head off the Fedex person or buy in a store. Chuck it under your workbench and when it comes to light just say "Oh, I've had that for a long time." They never remember, since they don't know one light from another. My new Vector spotlight, a six pounder, is harder to slip in.

When the 12-steppers come for you they will cluck their tongues at all the flashlights stashed around the house, confirming your addiction . . .

pal251

Newly Enlightened
My long time girlfriend usually doesnt have a problem with my lights. I usually just say uh this is for work. Oh this goes on my nylon duty belt....this g2z will go on my leather duty belt......this is for home...so on so on. hehe.

On another note when I visit cleveland Ohio on the 28 of this month I cant wait to visit brightguy.com store in person

Lara

Newly Enlightened
I went to a nightly barbecue in the woods last weekend and the guys actually admired me for having the coolest lights of the pack! (M2/HOLA, L1)

(Though that might change once they'd have to pay for them, I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Lara,

You da man! (oops, sorry, you Da Gal!)

Now why can't my wife be like that so I don't have to skulk around and figger out all those clever schemes to explain new stuff?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Good question Mr Bulk... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
If ever you come up with a plausible answer, please let me know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Banshee

Enlightened
How does a modder like Charlie explain the reels of LED's or the case of 144 Legend's that arrive on the doorstep??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent point, Banshee. Of course, it helps if the modding is turning even a smidgeon of a profit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif