Dorcy/Element AAA battery holder fix????

Farnsrocket

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I am a newbie here and tried searching but couldn't find any answers.
My Sams Club 2 pack of Element LED lights and my single Dorcy LED are identical. They all have this battery holder:

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-243-41-4275-battery-holder-cartridge.aspx

Well, one of the battery holders broke into pieces for no apparent reason other than age. So I went to check my other two and sure enough, they are cracked and coming apart. :mad:

I tried to epoxy one together and failed. :mecry:

I found the link above and realized new ones are $1.00 apiece, but then I got to thinking, are these just gonna break again and again? :thinking:

Any input or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Jon

ragweed

Enlightened
I sure hope my Metal gear battery holder dosn't have this happen! Mine is a clear plastic holder is yours? They might have improved them I hope. At only a buck its worth a try I guess.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think replacements would eventually crack too. Most of us flashlight crazies have gotten away from three battery lights, but there might be some better alternatives. Maybe try a search in the battery section.

Welcome to CPF, Farnsrocket.

Geoff

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, guess I should check on element. Havent used it in a few years, but it was a good light, first light I ever owned that actually satisfied me. It was amazingly durable. Drop test? 30 feet a couple times, and 6-8 feet many, many times. Mine is so dinged up, there is hardly any anodizing left.
I have since moved on to other lights, but my element still holds a happy place in my heart.

Farnsrocket

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, and thanks Flying Turtle!
Yeah, I think the replacements will crack too.....maybe I can reinforce them when they are new, add some strategically placed epoxy or something like that........makes me mad. Oh well.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Quadrifoglio

Newly Enlightened
To help the carrier end from breaking, buy a pack of 3/8" nylon washers (Crown Bolt) in the odd parts drawers at the big box hardware store. Drill the washers (5/64" bit) at the three indents (push pin marks). They are spaced correctly for the screw holes. If you have it, use an unbroken end to mark the washer. Remove the screws and screw the washer on over the end piece. It is a bit of a tight fit in the body but it works. A person could sand down the washer for a better fit.

I also replaced a completely broken end. The only problem is that the longer wire pickup needs to be glued in place with a silicone adhesive.

As noted in other posts, turn the spring around so that the broad end is against the carrier.

It is cheap and easy.

dglang

Newly Enlightened
I just visited the Dorcy site and they have a special on the battery holders. They are currently FREE with FREE shipping. I ordered five of them so I have a few spares.

I have received confirmation from Dorcy for my order saying it has been approved.

I don't think you can beat that price anywhere:thumbsup:, lol.

Once I receive them, if they work in my Element flashlight which is almost exactly the same as the Dorsey models, I will probably order a few more as long as they are still free.

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Could you provide a link to the Dorcy free battery carrier offer? I have been all over the Dorcy site and can't seem to find anything about it. Thanks.

RichardO

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I am a newbie here and tried searching but couldn't find any answers.
My Sams Club 2 pack of Element LED lights and my single Dorcy LED are identical. They all have this battery holder:

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-243-41-4275-battery-holder-cartridge.aspx

Well, one of the battery holders broke into pieces for no apparent reason other than age. So I went to check my other two and sure enough, they are cracked and coming apart. :mad:

I tried to epoxy one together and failed. :mecry:

I found the link above and realized new ones are $1.00 apiece, but then I got to thinking, are these just gonna break again and again? :thinking:

Any input or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Jon

A $.16 Fix!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a number of Dorcy 41-4259 LED flashlights and about half have battery clips have broken (top circular connector piece to the body holding the batteries ).

Here is the process that works every time and is a cheap and easy fix for the inept design weakness in a great flashlight (where the two major pieces connect - screws they used were to short). Go to a harware store like ACE and buy two #2 by 1/4 inch screws for each broken battery clip. If you have drills bits that have small graduated increases, find one that just opens the two holes on the top piece just enough for the #2 screws to be inserted. I skipped this on one of the tops and just inserted the screw and it worked fine. After the hole is open, assemble the parts together making sure the contacts are properly aligned and then hold it together very tightly. Insert and tightened the #2 screws. Replace the batteries, test and enjoy your expertise at fixing your prized flashlight.

I tried epoxy, but that is much more difficult and doesn't work every time. The replacement screw approach is cheaper and easier and saves you from ordering the $3 replacement. Dorcey should be giving away a newly designed clip with no questions asked because of their design/assembly problem. Otherwise, they have great products!