ULTRAFIRE HELP!!?!?!?!

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hello CPF,

This is my first post in the LED flashlights section (usually I go over to headlamps section). Basically, I'm using my headlamp as a main 'light source' but I want a cheapish flashlight thats good quality and a good thrower, and I was just looking at Ultrafire lights on DealExtreme and they are seem so bright and high-quality yet they are so cheap!! Is there any reason for this, or should I go ahead and buy one? There has to be some sort of catch right?

p.s. I know that it's much better to buy a few expensive lights now than to buy many cheap flashlights then buy expensive lights, to save all that money, but please understand that this flashlight is just for 'fun' use, I'm not planning to use it as a primary light source. It's just for playing around with

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Poor build quality is the "catch". I have had to do a part by part teardown and rebuild on 4/7 of my DX lights.

If you are mechanically inclined and handy with a soldering iron... they area GREAT value. If you just want a tool that works without thinking about it, look elsewhere.

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for best built quality or if you need an absolutely reliable flashlight (because you need it for your work as a security, police officer, fire worker, for diving etc) then you better go with surefire/fenix/eagletac...

I'm wondering why built quality is so important for many of you here in cpf. I think that most of us use flashlights as a toy. So most important would be that your flashlight is working and has the required output.

And for this purpose ultrafire offers some interesting toys. Try this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26497

Cheap and indeed very bright. For its size a great thrower.

radar45

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have 3 Ultrafire lights, 1 x A10 runs single mode 1 xAA or 14500 recharcgeable lithium. 2 x Ultrafire C1, 1 is single mode which is used for a rifle light and the other one has 5 modes . both use CR123 or 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries. All 3 lights are ok and work fine, I got them from DX

wingnut86

Banned
For inexpensive, and fun, lights, I and quite a few others have had good luck with Romisen lights. They can be purchased with more up to date emitters at shiningbeam's website. I've never had any quality issues with them.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build quality is a lottery at DX. I ordered an Ultrafire WF500 and had to send it back. I had one of the stainless steel C3s that died after one fall to a tile floor.

If you really want a just for fun light, check out shiningbeam. Budget lights with very decent quality.

how2

Enlightened
I have the small light as Amaretto. This is an excellent light. I did not have to clean out the threads or anything like that. I got a five mode version from BOB. Hi-Med-Low-Strobe-SOS. Memory mode works and you only have to wait 1 second. On RCR123 it lasts 35-30 min on high.Only paid $12.90. It is light weight.

If you want something a bit more heavy weight the my i recommed this light

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32948

It can take aa, 123 and 14500, i will purchase it when i get some money together.

If you're looking for best built quality or if you need an absolutely reliable flashlight (because you need it for your work as a security, police officer, fire worker, for diving etc) then you better go with surefire/fenix/eagletac...

I'm wondering why built quality is so important for many of you here in cpf. I think that most of us use flashlights as a toy. So most important would be that your flashlight is working and has the required output.

And for this purpose ultrafire offers some interesting toys. Try this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26497

Cheap and indeed very bright. For its size a great thrower.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello CPF,

This is my first post in the LED flashlights section (usually I go over to headlamps section). Basically, I'm using my headlamp as a main 'light source' but I want a cheapish flashlight thats good quality and a good thrower, and I was just looking at Ultrafire lights on DealExtreme and they are seem so bright and high-quality yet they are so cheap!! Is there any reason for this, or should I go ahead and buy one? There has to be some sort of catch right?

p.s. I know that it's much better to buy a few expensive lights now than to buy many cheap flashlights then buy expensive lights, to save all that money, but please understand that this flashlight is just for 'fun' use, I'm not planning to use it as a primary light source. It's just for playing around with
You are about to make two very common flashlight newbie mistakes: buying Ultrafire and buying it from DX.

mfm

Enlightened
You are about to make two very common flashlight newbie mistakes: buying Ultrafire and buying it from DX.

It is certainly better to buy Ultrafire lights at DX than to buy an expensive light that that you don't like for some reason (which is likely to happen when you are new).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is certainly better to buy Ultrafire lights at DX than to buy an expensive light that that you don't like for some reason (which is likely to happen when you are new).

a light that is known to be reliable and a quality light can be re-sold easily and at little loss. I think that it would be a lot easier to sell a Fenix than an Ultrafire.

the thing is, i might LIKE the Ultrafire light i bought and i do (stainless steel 5 mode Ultrafire C3) but the thing just drove me nuts, flickering issues etc and after i dropped it, it refused to work.

woodentsick: the choice is really yours, there are proponents AND opponents of DX lights. All i can say is that the lights may be cheaper but quality is a hit and miss thing, you may get a light with no problems or you may get a dud. NO GUARANTEES is what i am saying. Their customer service is decent and will respond to your complaints and act on them, but it may take a veeeeerrrrryyyy long time.

Good luck with your purchases and hope you get good lights wherever you decide to purchase from.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah , be prepared to fix it , when you buy cheap ..

*.*Fire can be good , and they can need fixing/trouble shooting .
I own several *.*fire's , and most have been quite good .

*.*fire , 501B / 502B with 5mode R2 pills have been very good value for me .
Then expensive lights can give problems as well , it's a lottery , buy a ticket , and see ...

If you have DIY skills , there hard to beat for value .. Even if it needs 5 minutes of your time to fix a small problem some would throw a hiss'y fit over .

woodentsick

Enlightened
a light that is known to be reliable and a quality light can be re-sold easily and at little loss. I think that it would be a lot easier to sell a Fenix than an Ultrafire.

the thing is, i might LIKE the Ultrafire light i bought and i do (stainless steel 5 mode Ultrafire C3) but the thing just drove me nuts, flickering issues etc and after i dropped it, it refused to work.

woodentsick: the choice is really yours, there are proponents AND opponents of DX lights. All i can say is that the lights may be cheaper but quality is a hit and miss thing, you may get a light with no problems or you may get a dud. NO GUARANTEES is what i am saying. Their customer service is decent and will respond to your complaints and act on them, but it may take a veeeeerrrrryyyy long time.

Good luck with your purchases and hope you get good lights wherever you decide to purchase from.

Hey Hyperloop, you live in Singapore right? I do too, and I'm looking for a place where I can buy good quality budget flashlights (other than online), do you have any suggestions?

stallion2

Enlightened
Hyperloop basically gave you the best explanation...DX + their suppliers' quality control = lottery. i've lucked out, everything i've gotten from DX has worked...no failures yet (knock on wood) and for the most part i've been pleased w/ what i receive. if its just for fun then i say go crazy...buy 5-6 lights that have decent reviews and your bound to have at least one well rounded light to serve a variety of different applications. if anything you receive doesn't work then normally, w/ a little self education, you can fix it yourself. the most common problems are poor sodering and thats not a hard problem to fix. If you have a wide range of potential applications then you might be best off w/ some sort of P60. That way you can purchase one light and then swap different lamps in and out of it as your application dictates. as far as inexpensive AND reliable brands go your two best bets IMHO are Romisen or iTP...FYI, iTP is a division of Olight (or vice versa...the point is they share technology).

DM51

Flashaholic
Recycle1copy.jpg

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Hyperloop, you live in Singapore right? I do too, and I'm looking for a place where I can buy good quality budget flashlights (other than online), do you have any suggestions?

singapore is a flashoholic wasteland, the only outlet for surefires is Sheares and IMHO they are overpriced, i bought a surefire A2 online and am getting it delvered via vPost cos he only ships CONUS.

why not PM me your query, i know a guy who lives in bedok who has supplied me every jetbeam that i own and has a selection of lights to suit many needs. i got my Jetbeam M1X warm tint from him, and i am not going to let it go :D

for budget lights, i have no worries about buyin from shiningbeam, shipment is FAST! quality is decent.

have also ordered from 4sevens, no complaints there either.