Should I even buy a LED flashlight?

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
For a few weeks I have been trying to narrow my search down and buy a LED flashlight. I can't decide between Nitecore, Fenix, or 4Sevens. What I have thought I decided on was a flashlight that uses AA batteries for reasons I am not going to go into.

I was planning on just using alkaline batteries. Maybe Energizer primary lithiums when I have a little extra money. I wasn't planning on buying rechargeable batteries unless I have extra money to spend in the future but probably not for at least a year. It also was discouraging when I looked at some battery charger threads and a lot of members are recommending chargers that are $50+ !!!!!

So I then read that some people have had their alkaline batteries leak when in their flashlights and ruin the lights.

I just want a nice EDC flashlight that I don't have to spend another $80 to get rechargeables and a charger. I just want to use your everyday battery.

Should I even buy a led flashlight??

Also I only experienced 1 alkaline battery leak in the past 31 years. Why all these reports of batteries leaking??

foxtrot29

Enlightened
lol @ you explaining why you wanted an AA battery light after you said you weren't going to explain why. :whistle:

But seriously, a lot of members decide on AA lights for the same reasons you've specified. It's hard to make a good decision with so many great choices out there.

I only have a Quark 123 R2, but I love it... It's been dropped onto concrete and our wood floors a bunch of time now, no issues yet. Why not try the Quark AA R2 or R5?

I have the Nitecore D10 Q5 as well, from the first production run, it's also never let me down, good output on a single AA...

Przemo(c)

Newly Enlightened
I'm digging through this forum for a good few weeks now (in free time, of course - not all the time, however it's at least 1 hour a day) and still could not decide what light should I buy. The more deep you go into the woods, the more trees grow there... My last discovery for the EDC light is Jetbeam RRC-0 - small, nice looking, giving you the hell of a light when you need it (as for EDC, of course) and super-saver mode of 1 lumen, when you don't need a flood of light. That's my recommendation for the EDC. But:

What I can advise is just narrow your needs as much as possible: by price, by throw, by spill, by size, by your actual needs, etc. Everytime even more narrow. Otherwise you'll go crazy, there are just too many lights on the market; you'll be circling around and eventually go mad. I said it in different post, but will repeat it here: in my personal opinion buying your perfect light is one of the most difficult things to buy! You consider the look of light, build quality,throw, spill, ratio between throw and spill, battery size, general size, emitter type and then multiply it by the manufacturers number which are on the market!

Finally - you won't get everything in one. The flashlight is like a tool. A proper tool is used for specified work. You can't have searchlight and keep it in you keyring, as well as you can't demand your EDC throws for 1.5 mile. You wont cut glass with a srewdriver, however sharp it may look, and is very unlikely that you would chop vegetables with an axe... That's where all frustrations / endless searching come from; people want to have keychain ring size maxabeams, while every tool is for it's own task. So what can I say. Collect flashlights as you're collecting screwdrivers, spanners and kitchen knives :D:grin2::welcome:

Last edited:

LightChaser

Newly Enlightened
I picked an AA light as my EDC because I figured I could easily replace the battery in a pinch. I carry a spare, but it's in a bag that I bring everyday, but sometimes leave in the car.

Anyway, should you get an LED light? I think so, but I'm not the one making the decision here. I can, however, explain why I would stay away from alkalines.

I have an LD10 (1AA), and I keep an L91 lithium cell in it as opposed to an alkaline because:
- The L91 can handle larger currents than your typical alkaline. I find I use low and medium most of the time, and alkalines can probably handle those modes. Still, I also use the high and turbo modes on occasion, and I don't know if alkalines will get overwhelmed and sh*t themselves (leak) when the current draw is that high. I think a high current draw, something that most modern LEDs require, is the main cause of alkalines leaking. If I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure somebody 'round here can correct me.
- I'm pretty sure the L91s have a longer shelf life than alkalines. Since I use low and medium modes most of the time, I could find my battery could last me quite some time. I know it'll probably be only a couple of months before I replace my battery, but I'd still prefer a cell that won't self-destruct while sitting on my shelves - there have been stories of "brand new" alkalines doing that.
- My brother had a MM 2AAA that he thought he lost, but actually left somewhere in my car. I found it a few months after, and the alkalines cells inside had leaked. It was a pain to clean it up.

That's my 2 cents.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's a sickness. Escape while your mind is still intact! Once you buy one you're hooked. So when you ask if you should even buy one? Noooooooo....but they're wicked fun! LOL

Warp

Enlightened
I stopped having alkalines leak when I did two things:

1) I stopped leaving them in a vehicle. Temperature swings from winter to summer-in-the-sun are not good for batteries.

2. I only bought Duracells for my alkalines.

The Energizer lithium AAs are not all that expensive. IIRC Walmart and the like have them for $10 a four pack and they are pretty darn good batteries. They support a higher current draw/brighter light, have a greater capacity, longer shelf life and won't leak. And if you are strapped for cash or at a location that just has real generic stuff available...say for example any random gas station you can find in the US...there will surely be AA alkalines you can use in a pinch.

There are far more quality choices for a 1xAA EDC light than I am aware of. Right now it is hard to say no to one of the new Quarks with the XP-G R5 emitter, if they are in your price range. $40-$65 or so depending on specific model. But I am surely bias towards Fenix and 4Sevens.

And it is a controllabe sickness. You just have to limit your time spent on CPF. Whenever I start getting involved in this site I buy something. Or multiples. I have only purchased three lights for myself in the past year, as well as $60 or so in batteries, total. Unfortunately my Quark, at about $65, was the least expensive of the three lights.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that was a sizeable amount of money for me. Over $300 in the last 12 months on flashlights and batteries. But I upgraded pretty seriously. Brand new EDC, nightstand and truck lights.

Last edited:

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
lol @ you explaining why you wanted an AA battery light after you said you weren't going to explain why. :whistle:

But seriously, a lot of members decide on AA lights for the same reasons you've specified. It's hard to make a good decision with so many great choices out there.

I only have a Quark 123 R2, but I love it... It's been dropped onto concrete and our wood floors a bunch of time now, no issues yet. Why not try the Quark AA R2 or R5?

I have the Nitecore D10 Q5 as well, from the first production run, it's also never let me down, good output on a single AA...

I didn't realize I explained why I wanted a AA flashlight :oops:

I was thinking of the Nitecore D10 R2 or the SP D10 (doesn't ramp and has strobe). It seems the D10 is well liked but not the brightest. Is your Quark 123 R2 a whole lot brighter than your D10?

I think Nitecores look very nice but the Quarks have a 10 yr warranty.

I wonder if I go from a cheap $5 Husky LED (has several little LED lights) to a Nitecore D10, or a Quark AA, will I be blown away with how bright these lights are.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Well, this is what I do.

I find some good flashlight makers. My list is Surefire, Fenix, Jetbeam, Olight, Streamlight, 4sevens. There are more but this is my list right now.

Go to each of the flashlight maker's web sites and look at their new flashlight section and look at each of their lines of lights. Pick a few lights from each flashlight maker, then narrow your list to one from each. Then choose one from that list.

It's a lot of work but there is no way around it. You can't just pick one company and stick with their flashlight lines because everything changes over time. That doesn't make me happy but it's the way our world works.

It's perfectly fine to choose a light that uses AA batteries. Look carefully at the Jetbeam RRT-0. It uses a CR123 or a AA.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with one of those new Quarks. If you choose a CR123 light, order those online in packs of 12. I would never try to buy those at Walmart or such.

Last edited:

Warp

Enlightened
I wonder if I go from a cheap $5 Husky LED (has several little LED lights) to a Nitecore D10, or a Quark AA, will I be blown away with how bright these lights are.

Yes, you will. Total output, quality of the beam, runtime, overal build quality of the light, etc.

Of course, for the "blown away by brightness" factor, especially in a small pocketable light with non-rechargeable batteries, the CR123 lights have a significant upper hand.

BUT you can't buy them at just any store and many of the places that do have them charge $5 a cell or something similarly ridiculous.

I doubt your $5 Husky is anywhere NEAR the ~80-100 lumens a current 1xAA light can put out the front. Hell, today I received my Quark 2x123 and it blew me away with how much brigther it is than my 2.5 year old Fenix that runs on the same batteries....and those two lights are MUCH closer to being equal than a cheap husky and what you are shopping for now.

hotlight

Enlightened
I think Nitecores look very nice but the Quarks have a 10 yr warranty.

I would advise against the Quark AA even tho its a great light(when it was working).....

had mine for 3-4months and worked great.... then one day no worky. Sent it back beginning of Jan 2010, and just yesterday got a email saying its being sent back to the factory and I should recieve it within a couple of months.... hmmmm, 10 year warranty is good and I know I'll get a working light back after "a couple of months"-but I will not be able to trust is as an EDC now.

I did just order the Jetbeam RRT-0-but can't recommend it yet(havent tried it out yet).

if you don't want to use recharge-able batteries and worried about alkalines leaking- use the lithiums(L91)..... Ive never had alkalines leak. not even in my TK40.

as far as LED vs. other- LED will be the most efficient(I think), so, with HID or INCAN you'll have to worry more about your battery selections.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I stopped having alkalines leak when I did two things:

1) I stopped leaving them in a vehicle. Temperature swings from winter to summer-in-the-sun are not good for batteries.

2. I only bought Duracells for my alkalines.

The Energizer lithium AAs are not all that expensive. IIRC Walmart and the like have them for $10 a four pack and they are pretty darn good batteries. They support a higher current draw/brighter light, have a greater capacity, longer shelf life and won't leak. And if you are strapped for cash or at a location that just has real generic stuff available...say for example any random gas station you can find in the US...there will surely be AA alkalines you can use in a pinch.

There are far more quality choices for a 1xAA EDC light than I am aware of. Right now it is hard to say no to one of the new Quarks with the XP-G R5 emitter, if they are in your price range. $40-$65 or so depending on specific model. But I am surely bias towards Fenix and 4Sevens.

And it is a controllabe sickness. You just have to limit your time spent on CPF. Whenever I start getting involved in this site I buy something. Or multiples. I have only purchased three lights for myself in the past year, as well as $60 or so in batteries, total. Unfortunately my Quark, at about $65, was the least expensive of the three lights.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that was a sizeable amount of money for me. Over $300 in the last 12 months on flashlights and batteries. But I upgraded pretty seriously. Brand new EDC, nightstand and truck lights.

Only 3 lights a year? I don't know how you do it. I admire your will-power. You are buying top of the line though. Maybe that's the secret.

daytec

Newly Enlightened
talk to brian at shinnigbeam,tell him you want a romisen rc-n3 , buy a cheap 4 cell aa charger ,4quaility cells and life will be differant.......more babes, more money and people wanting to talk to you....the boss will even like you....one time.....worked for me!

Warp

Enlightened
Only 3 lights a year? I don't know how you do it. I admire your will-power. You are buying top of the line though. Maybe that's the secret.

It helps. I got a Streamlight Polystinger LED C4 with both chargers and mounted it in my SUV, the new R5 Quark for EDC and an Olight M20 R2 for the nightstand. The Quark came today the others actually came nearly a full year ago, so I went 10 or so months without buying any lights, batteries, chargers, etc.

I did, however, buy pocket knives. Emerson CQC-8 ($170), Zero Tolerance 0200 ($125), Spyderco Tenacious ($35), Spyderco sharpmaker ($50), Leatherman Squirt P4.....yeah, maybe I just bounce around from one thing to the next. Flashlights, knives, guns, home entertainment/video games, books.....

What helps the most is not visiting CPF without a good reason and closing it when you start to think "That looks like a great light, I wonder what I could do with it...."

Edit: Crap, I forgot, I also bought my Streamlight TLR-1 weapon light for my Glock in the past year. Better up the count to four and money spent on lights/batteries to over $400 the past year. Damn....

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
It seems the D10 is well liked but not the brightest.

Give it about a year. You'll stop worrying about the brightest and start thinking about user interface (UI), tail-standing, titanium quality, efficiency, and whether or not your light will leave you in the dark without telling you the battery is running out of juice first. When, not if, you do, get yourself an RA Clicky. It's the only light I have that tells me when to change the battery without leaving me in the dark. I know this because I was in your position about 8 months ago and decided against Henry's lights. I've since spent much more money and could have saved a bunch of it if I'd just gone for it instead of worrying about the newest and brightest and defining that as "the best." Maybe everyone has to go through that stage, though? Either way, good luck on your decision. For a long time, my two Nitecore D10's were my only EDC. I outfitted them with tritium and a clip, though. The only other thing I carry now is a Lunasol 20 and an RA Clicky.

Warp

Enlightened
Give it about a year. You'll stop worrying about the brightest and start thinking about user interface (UI), tail-standing, titanium quality, efficiency, and whether or not your light will leave you in the dark without telling you the battery is running out of juice first. When, not if, you do, get yourself an RA Clicky. It's the only light I have that tells me when to change the battery without leaving me in the dark. I know this because I was in your position about 8 months ago and decided against Henry's lights. I've since spent much more money and could have saved a bunch of it if I'd just gone for it instead of worrying about the newest and brightest and defining that as "the best." Maybe everyone has to go through that stage, though? Either way, good luck on your decision. For a long time, my two Nitecore D10's were my only EDC. I outfitted them with tritium and a clip, though. The only other thing I carry now is a Lunasol 20 and an RA Clicky.

^^^He has a point. I went with latest/brightest for my first REAL EDC light purchase 2.5 years ago. And I stuck with that light for that period of time even though multiple newer and brigther models cam out. Why? Well, truth is cost....as with most things in life...but I was perfectly happy with my light. Besides, I never came across somebody that had the newer version/model so I didn't REALLY even know what I was missing and still had a higher tech light than any of my buddies or co-workers.

About the low battery....My Fenix always told me, in a way. I simply ran it on max/turbo once in awhile and if the batteries were getting low it would flicker, just as it was programmed to, in order to notify you. The lower modes would still work in regulation as usual, though.

Stop talking about the damn Clicky I can't afford another light!

Last edited:

Rocketman

Enlightened
...I got a Streamlight Propolymer LED C4 with both chargers and mounted it in my SUV...

Did you mean to say Polystinger LED? Dude I LOVE MY POLYSTINGER.

Am waiting for a new aluminum Stinger LED release. I won't be able to help myself. And I never hear anything about them, I don't know why.

Warp

Enlightened
Did you mean to say Polystinger LED? Dude I LOVE MY POLYSTINGER.

Am waiting for a new aluminum Stinger LED release. I won't be able to help myself. And I never hear anything about them, I don't know why.

Yes I sure did.

My PP is pretty old now. Definately a Polystinger....I'll go edit that...

And yes, I really like my Polystinger C4. It is in my vehicle but I would define it as my single go-to light if it was available and it didn't have to be tucked away in a pocket, potentially. Not that it won't fit, it can be stowed in a back pocket short term, but it obviously isn't a pocket light....and I love my pocket lights. Bright, throws far, FAST strobe, variable output, guilt free lumens that charge at home or in the vehicle....yeah, I love it.

I'll stop rambling off topic now.

Last edited:

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
I would advise against the Quark AA even tho its a great light(when it was working).....

had mine for 3-4months and worked great.... then one day no worky. Sent it back beginning of Jan 2010, and just yesterday got a email saying its being sent back to the factory and I should recieve it within a couple of months.... hmmmm, 10 year warranty is good and I know I'll get a working light back after "a couple of months"-but I will not be able to trust is as an EDC now.

I did just order the Jetbeam RRT-0-but can't recommend it yet(havent tried it out yet).

if you don't want to use recharge-able batteries and worried about alkalines leaking- use the lithiums(L91)..... Ive never had alkalines leak. not even in my TK40.

as far as LED vs. other- LED will be the most efficient(I think), so, with HID or INCAN you'll have to worry more about your battery selections.
Wow a couple of months! That is crazy. I wondered about the 10 yr warranty. I was hoping it would be a no questions asked here is a new flashlight or let us try and fix it and you will get it back in a few weeks.

Anyone else here about 4Sevens "warranty".

talk to brian at shinnigbeam,tell him you want a romisen rc-n3 , buy a cheap 4 cell aa charger ,4quaility cells and life will be differant.......more babes, more money and people wanting to talk to you....the boss will even like you....one time.....worked for me!

I will check it out. Thank you.

I also will check out the RA clicky.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question "should I get an LED light" makes no sense in the absence of alternatives; are you considering:
  • Get an LED light or stumble about in the dark?
  • Get an LED light or get an incandescent?
  • Get an LED light or carry a stick with an oily burning rag on the end?

It seems you've discovered that alkalines are a poor choice for providing power (though they're not all that bad for providing energy, at low discharge rates and with proper maintenance) -- if you're thinking to go with an incan, that makes no sense, because alkalines are just as bad at supplying power to a bulb, and the bulb will produce less light at the same power. Yeah, you can use alkalines effectively in a low power incan designed for them, but you can do the same with an LED, so that's no argument for not getting an LED, just for (maybe) getting a different one.

The good thing with (many) LED lights is that you can hit it up to high/turbo and either beat the snot out of your alkalines for marginal gains or get real brightness from Lithiums or rechargeables, but you still get decent runtime most of the time with cheap alkies and a medium mode. With incans, at best a bulb swap is required, and often that's not even a real option, so you're stuck with the penalty of alkalines, even if you splurge on some better cells.

OTOH, if you really want a smoking burning thing, I must point out that oily rags are the alkalines of thee torch world; what you really need is at least a Mg flare, or better yet a multi-emitter build with three flares and duct-tape! :D