Solarforce L2 questions

jimbo231

Enlightened
I was thinking of buying a solarforce L2 with a cree r2 in it. I was wondering how you guys like them and if there are any problems with them. I also wondered if they use a 18650 or a 17670? How does the brightness and throw compare to the eagletac t20c2? It says 300 lumens but I know thats not true.

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
I think an L2 is a good start - I like all 8 of mine!

Brightness and throw depends on your drop-in's characteristics. I have Malkoff M-60 and DX cheapies. MC-E and P7 is readily available as are SSTs if you have coin.

bogey out

rje58

Enlightened
The R2 dropin that comes with the Solarforce has a generally good reputation. They average about 210 lumens OTF with CR123 primaries and about 190 lumens OTF with 18650s, according to posts of other users here on CPF who have the ability to measure - I don't.

Note: Not all Solarforce hosts come with Solarforce dropins! Some dealers put cheaper dropins in Solarforce hosts that they sell.

I own several Solarforce lights and I've never had a problem with any of them except one tailcap switch (on an L2-R) which the dealer I purchased it from quickly replaced at no charge.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like my L2, got it with the 5 mode R2 drop in and an extender so that i can use it with 2x18650s for longer runtimes. The new clips that enable bezel down carry are also nice.

I'd recommend getting Solarforce from here service is good and very fast too. I'd stay away from eBay sellers.

CPF member jake25 is an authorised dealer for Solarforce and you can see his threads in the marketplace.

edit: when choosing drop ins, make sure you get the correct voltage range, 2xCR123s or 2x18650s is going to be 7.4v

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
There very good value at there price point ... Problems ? What problems ? If you like to LEGO , then Solarforce is the way to go .
300 Lumen , yeah , the actual emitter can do that ... But factor in battery , Driver , how well the emitter was mounted to the star , and pill assembly . And the rest , like lens loss , bezel loss , heat sag , and then ask the question again .
As for throw , minimum would be 100 meters , expect 150 , and if you get a outstanding one , closer to 200 meters throw . Again , depending on the variables . There is no hard or fast rule , just buy a ticket and see what you get .

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two in a beautiful sand colour and they are great with the 18650s ... I know the adverts say 300 lumens but as some others have quoted/tested at 190 lumens, I'm happy with that ... I am very impressed with the quality of construction and finish for the money.

Why spend $100 on a torch when you can get four of these for the same money ... I might spend £3-00 on a new plain stainless screw-in bezel to make it about 6 or 7 millimetres shorter and more kind to the pocket when carrying.

I don't think you will regret buying the Solarforce.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
There very good value at there price point ... Problems ? What problems ? If you like to LEGO , then Solarforce is the way to go .
300 Lumen , yeah , the actual emitter can do that ... But factor in battery , Driver , how well the emitter was mounted to the star , and pill assembly . And the rest , like lens loss , bezel loss , heat sag , and then ask the question again .
As for throw , minimum would be 100 meters , expect 150 , and if you get a outstanding one , closer to 200 meters throw . Again , depending on the variables . There is no hard or fast rule , just buy a ticket and see what you get .

What is that tailcap, fifth from the left?

Arnulf

Enlightened

Is that second one from left green?
You ever buy from this seller?

http://www.solarforce-usa.com/

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second one from left is actually Gunmetal/Gray in colour - it's a really nice colour.

PB280066C.jpg

reeso

Newly Enlightened
old4570, where did you get the red switch cover on the far right stubby one? I need one for my stubby L2 with red XP-E :wave:

Lightfoot

Newly Enlightened
I've had a solarforce L2 R2 for some time now, fully recommend them. bought it from kmnw if your in the UK. Not sure about the 18650 though heard some rumours that some of the solarforce ones wouldnt take the 18650 as there a bit wider than the 16340's (maybe someone else knows more) I went for the 16340s as i wnated to be able to throw in CR123s if I was ever caught short.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
old4570, where did you get the red switch cover on the far right stubby one? I need one for my stubby L2 with red XP-E :wave:

DX or KD , forget which , but its fluro orange .

I put it on as the switch is a triple clicky , once its off , you need to click it 3 times to turn it on .
Light is a L2micro with XP-E R2, so I wanted to make sure it would not turn on by accident .
Sort of a lock out , sort of . That way the tail cap stands out from the pack of stock tail caps .

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX sku 5498. Comes with some black, some orange and some GITD green. I'm a big fan of the orange and it's what I run on my L2 now.

jake25

Enlightened
Jake , seems to be a stand out guy .. But HK is closer to me ..
I would buy from Jake if I was in the USA , but being on the other end of the world and much closer to HK ...
No hard feelings! I just cannot match the speed/price of ITC which is fine, as long as the name gets out there.