Replacement 100 Watt light bulb max Lumens

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
I've a real problem with Florescent light, if I can make a lamp so bright the flourscent bulbs can be turned off that would be great.
Can someone please make me a bulb equivalent maximum lumens, for a screw in bulb maximum 100 Watt fixture? please.

Or tell me how to make one :)

Stephen

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
lumens and watts are not equivalent between Fluorescent/Incandescent/LED
Can you give us some more information besides 100w?

Conte

Enlightened
What like a desk lamp ? Or a flashlight ?

What problem do you have with Fluorescent lighting ?

I know a few things about Fluor' lighting. I collect and mod fluor' fixtures like I do flashlights.

Chances are if you have a problem with then it's because its and older fixture with a old worn out lower quality bulb.

You may just need update your fixture with a modern T8 ballast that does not hum of flicker, then put some new 5000k "Sunshine" or 6500k "Daylight" bulbs.

If you are running those cheap 4300k "Cool White" Fluor bulbs of yesterday, in an old noisy T12 fixture. I dont' blame you for having a problem.

Fluor' lighting has come a long way since the turn of the century.
I'm currently running a single 24watt, 6500k, T5HO fixture, I bought at a hydroponics dealer (it's suppose to be a greenhouse grow bulb) over my desk and workspace. It turns on with the flick of a switch, without flicker, is perfectly silent, and has more then enough light for me to work under without any headaches or eyestrain.

6500k seems blue and harsh at first, but one you get used to it, your eyes will thank you.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
If you're talking standard household incandescent bulbs of the type you put into ceiling fixtures etc. I believe they're around the 1500-1800 lumens mark, and a lot of them are around 3500K tint. Obviously that can vary a lot with brand, style, shape etc. That figure is from an interior design booklet, so may not be critically accurate.

I don't like flour' either, but I live with it. I find my eyes get sore from quite a few types of flour' sctrip lights, and even the so-called 'instant on' energy saving bulbs seem to take a while to warm up.

I'll probably replace my 'energy saving bulbs' with LEDs... or just hang my flashlights on the wall and control them with a remote. :)

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
I have ME (otherwise known as Chronic fatigue syndrome) I wanted to do an evening Spanish course, however as it is in evening and dark, there is no natural light and the flourscent lights give me a bad headache for 4-5 days (maybe it's a migraine?!). I have no real control over the lights in the ceiling other than maybe smashing them into small pieces hahah ! However, I thought people maybe be agreeable to turn them off if I provided and easy alternative.

I do hope one day they disappear for good. I don't know what it is about flourscent lights that aggravates me but I do know that high frequency whiter lights seem to have a worse affect on me.

Thanks for your time.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Have you tried sunglasses in artificial office lighting? They work quite well for a friend of mine that also has CFS. She has the headaches issue with artificial lighting in general but it's really bad under strip lighting, even high frequency. The shades made a huge difference, although they didn't solve it. We also discovered that she is more likely to be sensitive to lighting if she has had dairy products that day.

You also have rights - if your health is preventing you attending the classes then the equal opportunities legislation in Europe and the US to the best of my knowledge says they are legally obliged to make provision. It would be worth asking a local support group about what you are entitled to.

You might also want to look at Cognitive Behavioural Therapy if you haven't already - quite a lot of the problems that CFS triggers can be managed if you learn the right techniques, but this varies massively between individuals so many doctors are unwilling to suggest it. You might be able to find a way to 'distract' your brain (sorry, I don't know the correct term) when you encounter the problem lighting.

Apologies if you've heard all this before, but if you haven't then I hope it helps.

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
Thanks I'm in Dorset UK by the way so no too far away. They have paid lip service to the Equal Opportunities thing :)

AlexLED

Enlightened
As Matt stated, common household 100w incandescent bulbs generate about 1600 lumens.
To get this from LED, two or max 3 MC-E or SSC-P7 would be sufficient, but the problem with those is heat: the (much greater) heat created by the incan. bulb does not do much harm. But the semiconductors of the LED can not handle similar heat, not can the power-supply (creating heat by itself). Thus you need to dissipate the heat into the surronding air.
With a common metal flashlight, this is barely possible, but not from an object the size of a common household bulb.
:(

So, we either need to increase the lumens/watt for LED even more or need to accept other forms of "bulbs".

Currently, the LED "bulbs" only produce lumens somewhere in the range of 10-40 watt incan. bulbs.

And btw: the color rendering with many current LEDs is even worse than good flour' bulbs.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were to plug into a mains driven unit, would the addition of something like a peltier module not enable that to be drawn away effectively enough?
Look into Nuventix
Sounds like a medication doesn't it.
They make a blower heatsinks and its available through Avnet

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the Acriche does run on 220vAC and the new versions will run on 110vAC
But it runs on a simple resistor and diode. It is on only during the peaks of the AC wave. This means it has a flicker, at 60hz it will be on half the time. It resembles low PWM levels.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Yes the Acriche does run on 220vAC and the new versions will run on 110vAC
But it runs on a simple resistor and diode. It is on only during the peaks of the AC wave. This means it has a flicker, at 60hz it will be on half the time. It resembles low PWM levels.

Very, very interesting. It will be good to learn more about the voltage and current limits, and power that can be dissipated :devil:

Conte

Enlightened
Oh god, if Fluorescent light bothers you, led isn't going to be much better.

It sounds to me like the guy just needs a common desk lamp with a normal bulb.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
Oh god, if Fluorescent light bothers you, led isn't going to be much better.

Flickering LED light possibly, but there's no reason that should be the case with an LED light on a steady DC source. In some cases, the problem is caused by sound rather than the flickering itself; a lot of commercial type installations are not maintained unless the bulb flickers badly or stops working, and high-pitched noise (from the ballast) can be a problem if you are very sensitive to it. People that suffer from CFS can be far more sensitive to sounds.

It sounds to me like the guy just needs a common desk lamp with a normal bulb.

Possibly. Unfortunately with this type of condition, you need to experiment with different things to find out what works for you. That's one of the reasons it can be so hard to manage.