SF P6+Malkoff M60 or . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
SF LX2? Everyday and vacation use. New to this and have to get the stupid questions out of the way!

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Having both high and low level makes it very versatile and being 1" by 5.4" it is easily pocketable.

The LX2 is a great light for everyday... and if I ever have a chance for a vacation it would be great for that too.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are excellent lights, and cannot go wrong with either. Another possibility would be to buy a Malkoff MD2 flashlight with the high/low ring, and a M60 drop in. You get Hi/Lo modes which the 6p will not have, and a top notch drop in. Gene is out of the old style full power M60's right now, as he is updating to the new reflectored XPG style instead of the optics. If you email him, he may make one just for you. You should come in around $120.00 give or take after the cpf discount.

wild_mn

Newly Enlightened
The problem is you cannot find a Malkoff anything right now. I have been looking and coming up empty handed. Anyone have any alternative suggestions? I have nothing to recommend to the OP but would be interested in what you all come up with.

ugrey

Enlightened
Get the SureFire LX2. The 2 modes will be much more useful and it will fit into a pocket MUCH better. You WILL be putting it into your pocket. 200 lumens will be way too much for most of what you need a light for. The 6Ps are a little chunky and heavy compared to the E body sized lights.

That said, I carry an E body SureFire with a single mode LX2C (SF scout weapon light) head on it, at 120 lumens, and an old Fenix P2D (6 modes) for a general use light.

Get the LX2! Try Ebay, I have bought a bunch of SF lights there.

Howdy and Welcome to CPF. Remember, there are no stupid questions. :)

Last edited:

signal 13

Enlightened
...Gene is out of the old style full power M60's right now, as he is updating to the new reflectored XPG style instead of the optics...

I can't believe I bought the very last M60 he had in stock. Glad I bought it when I did! Didn't know he stopped production on the optic-style M60. Really glad I got a couple of them! It's like holding a little piece of flashaholic history in my hand... sniff, sniff :mecry:

I'd probably recommend the LX2 if it's just for everyday casual use. 200+ lumens might be a bit much if you're not using it as a work/duty light.

Me, I like my lights to have a little recoil!

stallion2

Enlightened
LX2!!! i don't think its even debatable. i've got an M30 w/ MD2 host and M60 w/ UF host and love them both but they can't hold a candle to the LX2. i never intended to EDC my LX2 but it turned out to be a little smaller and a lot lighter than i was anticipating. if you go that route then get the diffuser also, i think its part# F04. the beam pattern is pretty sharp so the diffuser will make for excellent short range use and protect the optic while in your pocket. it annihilates nearly all my other tactical size lights...the Malkoff's, Olight M20, C2 w/ Thrunite's XP-G dropin, and every other XR-E dropin i have...even an MC-E dropin. i did just get a Quark 123^2 w/ the XP-G turbohead and this is my only small light that can match the LX2. you may want to consider that as a possible EDC, even w/ the turbo head its smaller than the two you're looking at and kills my M30/M60 in output. you can also get the 123^2 w/ a standard-sized head...even smaller but retains the same emitter and driver.

Malkoff is releasing some XP-G dropins in the next week or so as i understand...may be worth holding off on your purchase.

does anyone know if there are travel restrictions on Surefires? i've been under the impression that they may be considered weapons and are subject to being confiscated by the TSA though have seen nothing in writing that confirms this.
=============================================================================================
i checked the TSA site for myself...makes no mention of flashlights one way or another which i suppose is good news but its possible that i missed it. FYI, we're not allowed to take throwing stars, spearfishing guns or cattle prods onto a plane...apparently that is frowned upon. they can be so nitpicky sometimes.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a 6P clone... by FiveMega.
I tried both M60 and M60LL and settled on M60L as the best compromise. You get a solid 4 hours of runtime, tail and also a very bright 100 lumens. It appears to be "almost" as bright as M60, since lumen perception is logarithmic.

Unless you are outside and really need the throw at 50m+, you won't notice a practical difference between M60 and M60L.

Where M60 really thrives is outside, generating awesome floody type of throw 'wall of lite' beyond 50m, dominating other M60** modules.