For you aircraft maintenance types

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I designed these wings several years ago, and they are painted in silver across the back of my flightline box.
The tenet was given to me so long ago, that I don't remember.
I put them together, to make this.

fc7b3fa8.jpg

Tomas

Banned
I don't really recall having seen that tenet before, but I feel I "absorbed" it while I was in the USAF. I can remember being "ordered" to remove a "red X" from an aircraft log and refusing, etc.

Seeing it here brought back fond memories of the seriousness in which we did our jobs, and the integrity instilled in us to do our jobs right, no mater what.

What's really odd is that until I just read that I didn't realize that I carried that same tenet, rewritten to apply, mentally into my later jobs. My maintenance and later my engineering and project management ALL reflected that sort of dedication to "do it right" with no excuse.

I guess that's also why I was usually viewed as a very strict but fair boss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

The folks who worked for me carried that same sort of intense need to 'do it right' or they didn't work for me for long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Thanks for sharing it.

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Pretty cool!

I've seen that tenet before, but like you it was so long ago I can't remember where.

I wonder how many people know those are safety wire pliers.

This is a saying I found years ago and live by-

One should never do a job for praise,
but because it should be done.
And it should be done well.

One should never be praised for doing
what one should,
because all jobs should be done well.

Most people who have read it tell me they don't agree. They say they want some positive feedback for doing their job. I say as a child you should receive positive feedback but as an adult you should do your job because this is what you are being paid to do. And you should do it well out of pride in yourself.

When you decide to put your logo on some buttons I'll buy a couple.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree Tomas. I feel like I learned the "right" way, in the Navy.
Once, at an unnamed FAA repair station, I removed and balanced a rudder from a DC-9 after the aircraft was painted.
When I told my supervisor I needed to order weights to adjust it, he smeared sealant all along the inside edge to give it weight. Then when that wasn't enough, he started putting loose hardware into the sealant.
This was anathema to me. I told him if it was going to stay like that, he could forget my signature being on the work. Perhaps the an FAA inspector would want to look at it. People fly on these planes. Those kinds of things.
He cleaned it up himself.
Then he told me something to the effect of "You're not a real aircraft mechanic."
I told him I am a real aircraft mechanic, one of the ingredients is Integrity.

I think I got an extra dose of the tenet, because I was originaly trained to work with ejection seats & canopy jettison systems, oxygen systems etc., and I knew that the lives of aircrews were going to be in my hands. I took it seriously.

Thanks for the heads-up on that image link, that one slipped right past me.

ksbman, I like and agree with your tenet, as well. I don't understand why some would disagree with it.
[ QUOTE ]
ksbman said:
When you decide to put your logo on some buttons I'll buy a couple.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking more about a patch, to be worn on a jacket or hat, when I made it. Well, that's after I painted it on my toolbox.