Going Bush

o2flyfish

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,

I was wondering if any one could help, I'm new to the forum and don't know squat about headlamps or any other type of torch, my favorite type of candle power is a nice home made fire in the bush : ). Trying to find a new headlamp for adventure exploring. I spend a lot of time fly fishing/ tramping in remote parts of New Zealand and the south pacific islands.

My question is what's a good quality headlamp that is durable (NZ is a wet and wild place) and has a long battery life (will by away from a power supply for a few weeks). I currently own a Blackdiamond ICON and have been happy with the headlamp but was looking for another, something a bit more modern and has a brighter wider throw for walking along trails.

Also looking for a good handheld for spot lighting on tropical reefs at night, but best to post this in the correct forum section.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tec EOS is very popular around here and they are upgrading it to a little brighter LED for a max output of 70lm (up from 50lm). Its one of the more waterproof options that I'm aware of (other than the Underwater Kenetics Vizion, but that has crap runtime).

The Fenix headlamps are looking interesting (HL20, HP10 and HP15) but word has it that they are much more of a throwy type beam than most like for a headlamp.

I recently did a lot of research looking for a headlamp to serve very similarly to your requirements and had a very hard time deciding between a bunch. Really wanted a single AA (or AA in general at least) but that wasn't happening with the features I required and the price range I could swing. Ended up ordering a PT EOS Tactical (turns on in low instead of high) about 2 days before they announced the upgraded output.

DaveG

Enlightened
Welcome,I will 2nd the PT-EOS use mine for night fishing and am happy with it.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Are you looking for something that takes 3-4 AA cells? Or something small and lightweight?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
warm tint zebralight, like an h501. Runs longer in lower modes, takes a single AA/14500 size battery. For weeks of run-time, pack a 4pck of spares in a plastic case (sold in 4pks @batterystation) and you're good to go.

-If you combine this with a solid performing AA/14500 format hand light, such as a 4seven's Quark, you've got a great combination of flood / throw, light and easy, you could put the quark on the side of the headband to add throw, mainly single battery format give long run-time options and reliability across your two lights.

Last edited:

Gryffin

Enlightened
The headlamp I always end of grabbing is a Petzl Tikka XP. Light weight, 3xAAA, three power levels + momentary "boost" mode so you can balance throw and runtime, decent throw plus a sliding diffuser for up-close use.

One warning, though: it's been completely redesigned this past year, and the revisions seem to be a mixed bag; there are plenty of the original model still on the shelves, though.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Zebralight H50b (thats the Q5 80 degree twisty AA model) today and took it out for a jog. PERFECT!

To give you an idea, my route today was through an unlight but fairly wide open park then down an unlight drit road with houses set back behind woods on either side. Perfect lighting. On high it was plenty bright- in fact when I turned out onto the main road I didn't realize just how bright it was until an on coming van actually pulled over for me (oops!!).

Will be interested to see how this does in the woods for camping-type activities. I was worried about the floody beam but for a headlamp its so far fantastic.

o2flyfish

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all,

Will have to do some research on these headlamps. Hows the PT EOS for orienteering off trail in thick bush?

3AA cells is probably the largest I would like to go.

jtradio

Newly Enlightened
I run a Petzl Myo XP belt... not "that bright" on its own, but paired w/ a Fenix L2D it is great!

o2flyfish

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the EOS wins. Were can I get the 70 lum version? Most places I have looked have the 50 lum.

Those Zebralights are cool, going to buy one mid year. Hopefully a newer model comes out before then.