Received my Göncz M5 (Pics, Usage Notes 11-27-02)

guncollector

Enlightened
Göncz M5 Review (Revised 10-22-02)

I received my Göncz Hi-Tech M5 light in the mail today (10-21-02), and as promised I wanted to get some pics up and a preliminary review.

Preface: This M5 unit was purchased from Mr. Goncz at full MSRP ($170.00), and shipped on an "expedited basis" in order to get it into another CPF'ers hands. As such, it came in a plain cardboard box (instead of the regular packaging), well-wrapped in bubblewrap, with instructions, charger, and extra Low-Output Bulbs (LOB). Also included were some color flyers, which have previously been posted here on the CPF.

[Note: I used "LOB", and not "LOLA" because you only replace the bulb in a Göncz unit, not the entire lamp assembly.]

I was a bit disappointed to receive only the LOB's (when I had ordered the High-Output Bulbs [HOB]), but just as I was thinking this Mr. Göncz called me on the phone (ESP?) and advised that at the time of shipping the HOB's were apparently not yet available but they'll ship soon he assured me.

Here's the first pic:
GM5-2.jpg

Upon picking up the M5, the first thing you notice is its nice heft--this is no flyweight flashlight. Silly me of course, I shake the light very hard anyways, but can discern no audible rattles or loose parts. That's always a good sign. I'd rate this as even more club-worthy than my Mag 3D.

The next thing you notice is the very fine machining that went into its production. Inside and out I can find no ugly toolmarks, or other major signs of "unfinished-ness". The only fault I can find with the finish is perhaps a barely visible 3/4" hairline-strip where the end cap meets the body of metal that didn't take to the annodizing process.

Disassembling the unit, I find the heavy aluminum reflector to be of particular interest. This is a serious heatsink, and nicely polished. The lens itself consists of a very thick piece of special temperature-resistent glass (per Mr. Göncz), 3.1mm by my measurement. The battery comes out after removing the end piece (as opposed to the "end cap"), and there are the NiMH batteries shrink-wrapped in a series with the Göncz designed end-ring on the bottom to facilitate the charging. Waterproofing is maintained by 4 visible O-rings that I can discern: 1 between lens and lens holder, 1 between reflector holder and focusing head, 1 between main housing and end piece, and 1 between end piece and end cap.

One niece touch I should mention is recessed lanyard tube in the end cap. This way you can attach a variety of lanyard options to your M5 for retention and/or storage (i.e. hanging) purposes. Also, I think with a little ingenuity I can make a simple "end cap" retention device out of a "Ranger Rubberband" (cut-up bike innertube) and some fine line. Furthermore, if I can find an appropriate small container, I could attach an extra LOB or HOB to the lanyard to have at hand for a quick-change in the field. Honestly, I think it would behoove other manufacturers to incorporate just such a lanyard tube in their designs.

Another design feature is the Göncz-designed quick-focusing head. This focusing head changes the beam pattern from spot-to-flood, albeit with a twist (pardon the pun). Twisting the focusing head in either direction will not remove/tighten the head unit, instead it continually alternates the beam's profile from spot-to-flood with about a 1/4- to 1/3-turn. This feature quick-focus is nice in that it limits the number positions--giving you positive "feel" for max-flood and max-spot.

Mr. Göncz says I can use alkalines in a pinch to power my M5 (perhaps underdriving the bulb), but hopefully I'll never have to. However, it is reassuring to know should I ever be prevented from charging, or temporarily be without my charger, I can utilize alkalines in the unit as opposed to having a paperweight.

Next, I plug-in the charger, remove the end cap, and insert the charger-plug into the recepticle for charging. The unit must have arrived with a pretty healthy charge, as within 15 minutes the charger light went intermitent ("flashing") green. The charger did get HOT, and there is a warning in the manual to this effect.

Here's a pic of the unit disassembled
GM5-1.jpg

I activate the light using the push-button located just below the bezel/focusing head. This push-button retains the same tactile feel of the now ubiquitous Maglite button. The operation is positive and requires a firm push (all the better to prevent accidental activation.) with the Göncz "Xenon 102" (LOB), I finally have light! While I am nowhere near blown-away by the light ouput, its definitely bright enough you don't want to stare directly into the beam. Remember, this is just the Low-Output Bulb (LOB).

I can't but help to want to compare even the LOB to something, so I pull out the nearest light here in my office, a Surefire 9P (P90 Lamp Assembly). Additionally, I compare it to a Surefire 9AN (N90 Lamp Assembly), and a Maglite 3D (with Carley Xenon-Star #713 aftermarket bulb).

GM5v9P.jpg

GM5v9AN.jpg

GM5vM3D.jpg

At a range of 1.5m, you'll notice the M5 (X102 LOB)'s hotspot is bigger than the Maglite (Carley XS#713), and about the same size as the Surefire 9P (P90) and 9AN (N90). The Surefires 9-series both have brighter coronas. Note that the image coloration is not a photo-trick, the 9-series and Carley XS#713 are definitely whiter in appearance.

According to factory specs, with the 9P (P90) I'm going to get 50-60 minutes of lithium-powered light (as we all know along a diminishing curve). With the 9AN (N90) I'm supposed to get 40-50 minutes of NiCad-powered light, but only with a battery hot-off-the-charger (Surefire B90 NiCads have proven incapable of holding a charge more than a few days). If Göncz's factory-specs hold true, then I should get about 2.5 hours of NiMH-powered light at full output for 90% of the discharge curve with the M5 (LOB) and (HOB)--which will be a major step forward in battery design.

Drop test. With a bit of trepidation I take my M5, turn it on, and drop it bezel-first from about waist high (1m) directly onto the carpeted office floor (sorry, no concrete drop-test unless you provide me with the M5). A big thud, and the light is still on. Thank goodness, and my heartrate starts to return to normal.

Summary: The Göncz M5 appears to be a well-manufactured, high-quality type rechargeable flashlight using the next-step forward in rechargeable batteries (NiMH). With the LOB, it is probably not going to enter my quiver of "user lights", but with the HOB we'll definitely see (hurry and send them to me Mr. Göncz!). It's price point puts it in the Surefire 9AN-range. In that area, this M5 will not win in the compactness arena--but will most likely win in the battery-design/run-time and (hopefully) output arena (with HOB).

I will perform some run-time test as my schedule permits, as well as some waterproofing tests (hopefully I'll get out diving soon). In the meantime, Mr. Ted Bear and Kenshiro have done an excellent job of much the same with their M5 & M7, as well as a performed comprehensive beamshot test and photos in another thread.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool...I'm a week away, hopefully, I'll also receive my Hi-output bulbs from Mr. G...

Sounds good, so far, especially the battery set-up...NiCd's are already being phased out, it's good to see some forward thinking...

--dan

guncollector

Enlightened
LOB Re-Eval
-----------

Folks, I rescind my previous statement about the M5 not likely entering my quiver of "user lights" with the LOB.

Turns out, after playing around with this light around the house and yard, that the LOB with factory-stated 2.5 hours of run-time on one charge (to be tested soon) could indeed prove very handy to have around the house.

I decided that having the option of LOB or HOB is a very nice feature. Working around the house, stick in the LOB. Heading out into the field where you need more light, gimme the HOB.

BTW, I also decided that it'll probably be a good idea for any HOB users to spring for an extra battery--especially if they're going to be using this in the field away from a charger (despite the ability to plop in alkalines).

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, this sounds rather promising. i love the LOB and HOB, they just need a brother named BOB (Blinding Ooutput Bulb?)

Whistler

Enlightened
Dear guncollector,

thanks for the review and these very nice pictures
icon14.gif
. The M5 looks very nice and solid. I can't wait to get mine.
grin.gif

Did you perform a runtime test yet?

bmsmith

Enlightened
guncollector,

Yes, thank you for the beam shots as Whistler said, especially the Mag 3D with Carley 713. This helps a lot in determining light output since I now have the same combination thanks to you!!
The 9AN comparision is helpful since it too is a rechargable light.

The M5 seems like a good workhorse if it can indeed deliver that amount of light output for 2.5 hours. I can't wait to see the HOB.

- Brian

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is probably an amateur question but: How long will the charge on the M5 battery remain before needing to be recharged again, assuming it is not used in the meantime?

guncollector

Enlightened
Carl-

Good question. Per the manual, it is recommended that the NiMH battery be recharged every 10-14 days if left unused. I'm sure you can stretch that a bit, you'll just lose some run-time.

G.L.JOHN

Newly Enlightened
GUNCOLLECTOR,

Thanks for the great shots and the details, You did a great job! Better than some of the my advertisement guys.

LEDagent,

The 3" reflector is available with the M-5, M-7, and M-10 and known as the M-10 COMET etc. The M-10-COMET will have 50 Wat bulb as well 100 Wat and if You talking Lights That will leave other in the dark for 500 yards...

We now making our own reflectors, so if anyone wants reflectors for distance, than we will sell them just the reflectors.

There are others in the cooking the MC-5 soon will be shipped, somewhat delayed due to some urgent Government Tender.

The new M-2 is in production and by Christmas You May buy one for Yourself as a present.

Soon we will have some pictures posted.

Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Great post GunCollector! Wonderful shots and well written and laid out! Nice light Mr Goncz!

- Don

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guncollector, thanks for your response and all your other info. Its a great thread, just got to keep up every night! Hope to hear more about the M-2 and other 2 cell series.

guncollector

Enlightened
REINTRODUCTIONS

Whatever your opinion of controversial (and unpopular here at CPF) flashlight designer, John Goncz, it bears the burden of reporting about his designs such as the Goncz High Tech M5.

MORE USAGE NOTES

It's sized much as the Maglite 3D, and provides 1 hour+ of lasting output (with Low-Output Bulb, Goncz Part #Xenon 102) on par with a Maglite 3D equipped with an aftermarket Carley Xenon Star #713 Maglite and brand-new Alkaline D-cells.

The beam color is definitely on the yellow ("golden" if you prefer) side of the spectrum, but nothing unpleasant.

The unit comes with an easy-to-use AC-adapter/charger. Note: do not lose the end cap which covers the battery terminal receiver, as the light does not function without it in place.

SOME GOOD FEATURES

Well, I've discovered the real genius of the Goncz M5. It's two-fold actually, the first being its NiMH battery power-source (promising the advantages of NiMH [higher storage capacity for the same-sized cell], second on the list would be (and fun) is an effective quick-defocusing bezel design [which one-direction 1/4-twists cycle between spot and floor beam patterns]. (Tertiary is economy of bulb replacement).

Upon receipt of my second Goncz M5 from John Goncz (first unit returned for a bezel which had loose quick-focusing), I begain some charge-and-run tests.

Results as follows:

(Note: Charger has a light-indicator, per the manual. Red = Fast Charge mode, Green Light = Trickle Mode.)

1st Charge: 3.0 hours, RUN TIME: 27 MINUTES. (per instructions). "Green Light" on the supplied charger never came on, but instructions said first charge be approximately 3.0 hours.

2nd Charge: 8.0 hours, RUN TIME: 57 MINUTES. "Green Light" never came on, arbitrarily selecting a longer charge-time.

3rd Charge: 8.0 hours, RUN TIME: 71 MINUTES. Again "Green Light" never came on, so I performed another arbitrary 8.0 hr. overnight charge.

4th Charge: <in progress>

MORE SIZE COMPARISONS, PRICING, ETC.

It's not as compact as a Surefire 9AN, but more like a Maglite 3D. It's a pricey rechargeable (at US$ 170) alternative compared to a Maglite with a Carley Xenon Star #713, but right on par with the Surefire 9AN. It's charge-holding ability remains to be tested, but the manual indicates the unit should be recharged every 13-14 days (NiMH's self-discharge is reported to be even faster than that of NiCd).

SUMMARY:
PROS:
quality construction, good output, low-operating costs, quick-focus bezel
CONS: Expensive, limited availability

<a href="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002758#000000" target="_blank">Göncz M5 Review (Revised 10-22-02)
</a>

guncollector

Enlightened
Rothrandir-

Thanks. I have yet to receive the HOB (high-output bulb) for testing.

I'm starting to get concerned that I am not getting anywhere near the 2.5 hours of purported run-time with this low-output bulb. I will try charging for longer than 8.0 hours now to see if that increases my run-time.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
...why doesn't that surprise me?

it is too bad really...i think these could have had potential to be great lights.