TK40 Color Temperature

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the color temp of the TK40? I just got mine today and it seems very green/yellow compared to my HP10 headlamp and my EagleTac P100A2. Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're referring to the tint if the LED, not the color temperature. Due to manufacturing inconsistencies in the production of LED's, the purchase of consistently bins and tints is not always possible, or economical, so many manufacturers use what they can find.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
Yes I've read about tints of LED's etc. I just figured a $150 light would have a whiter color. I wanted to know if this is normal or if I have a bad copy. Does anyone have these lights to compare? p100a2 or hp10?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the color temp of the TK40? I just got mine today and it seems very green/yellow compared to my HP10 headlamp and my EagleTac P100A2. Just wondering if this is normal. Thanks.

I have a HP10 and a TK30, which has the same reflector and LED as TK40. When I compare them side by side the beam tint of TK30 pretty much corresponds to your description of your TK40, though I don't perceive it at VERY green or yellow. I am happy with the warmer tint of TK30.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I've read about tints of LED's etc. I just figured a $150 light would have a whiter color. I wanted to know if this is normal or if I have a bad copy. Does anyone have these lights to compare? p100a2 or hp10?

All manufacturers would want the whitest, brightest bins. Cree wants to sell every LED they produce. So, not every manufacturer is going to want to pony up for best tinted LED's. There's a compromise.

Surefire's T1A Titan has had many reports of an "angry blue" tint. It's a $240 light. Shouldn't it have the nicest tint of any light out there? No.

There are manufacturing inconsistencies. It happens. Deal with it, or, if you feel it's unbearable, 1) purchase a new MC-E in the tint and bin of your choice and change the LED, or 2) pay someone else to do it for you.

recDNA

Flashaholic
My TK40 is totally white. Best color of any flashlight I own. I'd exchange it if it's green. Too much money for an inferior tint like that IMO.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
My TK40 is totally white. Best color of any flashlight I own. I'd exchange it if it's green. Too much money for an inferior tint like that IMO.

good idea. Sounds like there are a couple others that may have greenish tints as well. I know it's subjective, but I deal with color temp all day as a photographer. I agree, you shouldn't have to play the 'lottery' with such an expensive light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The perceived color tint of a LED I personally have found mostoften depends on which flashlight I compare to. I can notice a slight greenish in my TK30. This I never see without a side by side comparison to a cooler tinted light, however.
In another case I can perceive a LED to be "the whitest of white" which instantly becomes unveiled to has a bluish as soon I compare to a warmer LED or an incan. A bright incan seems to be "the whitest of white" alone but compared to a LED it can be changed to yellowish. And so on...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK40 has a greenish (very slight) tint on low and less so on medium, but is sorted at the higher outputs. I quite like it and thought it was just the way they are. Much better than those awful blue hues you get with most lights.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The perceived color tint of a LED I personally have found mostoften depends on which flashlight I compare to. I can notice a slight greenish in my TK30. This I never see without a side by side comparison to a cooler tinted light, however.
In another case I can perceive a LED to be "the whitest of white" which instantly becomes unveiled to has a bluish as soon I compare to a warmer LED or an incan. A bright incan seems to be "the whitest of white" alone but compared to a LED it can be changed to yellowish. And so on...

Regards, Patric

Well said Patric. It all seems very subjective to me.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Patric. It all seems very subjective to me.

Thanks Terry,

Yes, it's very subjective how our eyes perceive different tints. I have wondered about if a flashlight/lamp with "true white"(the tint of Sun) would make us to perceive that light source as true white undependent of comparing light tint...
Would a true white make this possible? It should be I guess...
Or does it really exist a true white, or is this also relative?...

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

Mik

Newly Enlightened
My TK40 is warmer than most of my other LED lights. My educated guess is that it's around 4000k in the hotspot, and maybe 5500k in the flood. I'm not sure why, but mine has a distinct color difference between the hotspot and flood. I am pleased with the color & I don't seen any green in mine.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
My TK40 is warmer than most of my other LED lights. My educated guess is that it's around 4000k in the hotspot, and maybe 5500k in the flood. I'm not sure why, but mine has a distinct color difference between the hotspot and flood. I am pleased with the color & I don't seen any green in mine.

yes, that's interesting. I too noticed this. The hotspot is a different tint than the flood. needless to say, I sent mine back today. Hopefully I'll get a good copy back.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just been checking my TK40 against some other lights. It does definately have a greenish light (compared to the others) on low and medium, but it's good. I got a whole sample of things around the house that I know what colour they look like during the day. With the TK40, my red pants look red, not pink like some of the 'whiter' (think bluish) lights make them look. My purple towel looks purple, not BRIGHT purple. A coke can is red, not dark pink. Greens look green and yellows look yellow and so on. The only thing that is not quite right is anything white. It looks just a tiny, little bit yellow, but not green. More of an incandescent look (bonus). It's pretty much perfect for my eye, but I could just be a mong :green:.

not2bright

Enlightened
holm0299, my first tk40 had a sickly green tint that was very odd especially on low and mid levels. It put out plenty of light, just in a disgusting tint.

The light had an issue with the switch so I returned it for an exchange. The replacement has an excellent tint and the whitest led I own. The second light has no purple or greenish hue and seems to put out just as much light.

Good luck!

McAllan

Enlightened
Maybe a very picky person would say my TK40 has a slight green tint on the lowest setting. But all other levels are just great.
The apparent difference between the hotspot and the spill I believe is merely an optical illusion. Like the sun at noon which appear crystal white because it's so intense while LEDs (and everything else) with the same color temperature appear quite blue. Perhaps the color temperature of the TK40 falls in a given range where that effect is more pronounced. I even believe I can see a little difference with my other lights too but not as much as the TK40. But nothing that bothers me.

Definitely lower in the color temperature compared to most other lights but I don't complain. It's probably the best of all my lights regarding color temperature (and perhaps CRI too?). Everything looks so great and crystal clear. Not like my other lights whether it being budgets light, Minimag LEDs, Fenix LD20, LD10 or PD20 which I believe all are WC tints (or supposed to be). But as said it's very nice. Especially when looking at something with red and orange the difference it quite clear. With the TK40 everything looks very clear and crisp while with the other lights it looks like whats best described like washed out clothes. But the funny thing even blue and green colors look way more natural with the TK40 although difference is not as pronounced as the warmer colors.

The tint shift at lower levels are quite normal for current regulated lights. The LED's aren't designed to be driven that low. While no damage is done the amounts of phosphor aren't adjusted for such low output from the blue LED (yes, white LEDs are in fact blue with phosphors for converting light to different wavelengths) - if it were they would be very blue at the higher levels. Lights with PWM regulation doesn't change in tint but they have other issues instead.

The color temperature of the TK40 is not 4000 K. My TK20 is supposed to be around 4500 and that looks like a hard driven incan and it's definitely warmer. If I remember correct the WC tint which most of the cool lights are are supposed to be around 6300 K give or take some. So my (totally untrained and unscientific) guess would be around 5500 give or take some.