Locator flash drives others crazy

jonesy

Enlightened
As a lover of all things tech, my 120P has been seeing more pocket carry lately. The locator flash is on, and I can't tell you how many times I've had people comment on it. The conversation usually goes like this:

"Dude, your light is on. You know that, right?"
Oh yeah, it's just the locator flash.
"Umm, so it just runs forever? Why the heck would you want that?"
So I can find it if I set it down, and you know, it gets dark and I want to see.
"So doesn't that kill the battery? That's wasteful!"
It'll run for 4 years like this before the battery dies, don't worry.

In a way, they prove the value of the locator flash, as people do notice it. :sigh:

Anyone else get questioning glances or comments from your constantly blinking programmable flashlight?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Ha ha ha... yep... I always warn people before handing the light to them that if they look in the business end their gonna get flashed by the locator beacon. It's the usual conversation after that... why would you want/need that... blah blah blah.

I have four Novatac lights: three 120P's and one modded with a P7. One 120OP stays on my belt in an AW pouch, the P7 stays clipped in my pocket, and the other two are on my shelf next to my bed... all locator beacons are on... it's like a mini disco at night. :D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can understand it can be very practical to locate your light when you put it down, but I hate having to repeat the same conversation over and over so much that I'd put a lid on the thing so people don't see it when I wear it... they just don't understand and won't unless they have had an experience where THEY wished they had that option open for them. Sorry for the rant, but I try to avoid situations where every one asks the same question(s) or makes the same obvious comment over and over... I just keep my lights to myself now, until some dum-dum whips out an old 2$ light (gets the conversation started in a more original tone)

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
1) Pull it out, look at it, act startled and yell, "OH MY GOD!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

2) Tell them it's part of your restraining order.

3) Tell them it's part of your pacemaker.

4) Hold it to your ear, make your best Don Adams voice and say "Yes Chief, you called?"

5) Tell them it keeps the elephants away.

6) Tell them it's a zombie detector.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
How do you sleep with that on at night?

Like you said... bezel down! :D

You really don't notice it as long as the bezel is facing down. One fell over one night (I bumped into the shelf sleepily on my way to the bathroom and the one with the 17670 body fell over)... I woke up later and thought there was a thunderstorm on the way until I realized what was going on.

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought locator flashes were a good idea til I actually tried a light that had one. These days I think tritium capsules are much better.

jonesy

Enlightened
You guys have some great ideas, and I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Just recently, my wife noticed this pulsing coming from my dresser, and the conversation started again. I always claim I can't remember how to get into the custom settings to turn it off. :popcorn:

That said, the locator flash is firmly on, and isn't getting changed anytime soon.

bansuri

Enlightened
It's a no-brainer.
Suddenly pitch black > quickly pull out light > drop it.
Why take the risk of not being able to find it when you really need it?

Reminds me of when headlights first started staying on for a minute after exiting a vehicle and everyone would say: "Hey, you left your lights on!".:banghead:

paulr

Flashaholic
It's a no-brainer.
Suddenly pitch black > quickly pull out light > drop it.
Why take the risk of not being able to find it when you really need it?

So use another light to find the first one. You DO have a few more lights on you like any good flashaholic, don't you? :D

bansuri

Enlightened
So use another light to find the first one. You DO have a few more lights on you like any good flashaholic, don't you? :D
Indeed! However lately I've been taking them out for special days to have some quality time together without all the others around.

help.gif