broken LED leg?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been a spell since I have taken up the soldering iron. Tonight I thought I'd swap out the emitter in the old KL1 for a TWOJ I had on hand. It came off the star easily but in gently bending the leg in preparation to seating it in the head, I sheered the positive leg off. It's a small nub now. :(

Also discovered my eyesight sucks so it is very challenging to see. :(

lumiled.jpg

Is this savable?
Suggestions?

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I would say that it is savable. Make a blob of solder on the one side attaching the nubs if you will, then carefully attach the loose leg to the solder. All you need to do is create a connection between 2 points. It doesnt have to be neat to work.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Helping hands are great for both the eyesight and precise positioning. It looks like you have more than enough of a nub sticking out to lay a wire right up against the body of the LED and solder it there.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!
I'll attempt to solder in a tab to contact the nub once positioned in the head. All in fun learning this. Rather have the "education" on these $5 level emitters than one that is $20+. I'd be jumping up-down. ;) Luckily these emitters were bought in pairs because invariably user error sets in...:duh2: My luck...:)

As for the eyes, the doc recently told me I'll need glasses for up close work. :sigh: He also said to make sure I have sufficient illumination. I'm working on that one. :D