Which would you prefer Fenix or EagleTac?

Which would be an all around better tactical light for hog hunting with a bow?

• Fenix TK12 R2 - EX (for 18650) 240lum OP reflector

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300lum OP reflector

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300lum Smooth reflector

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

somename

Newly Enlightened
Need to buy my first tactical light for use with a RED filter and remote pressure switch, but having trouble deciding between these two lights and also the ideal white light color (cool white or neutral white) and the reflector (smooth or Orange peel)

TK12 R2 - EX (to use the 18650) 240 Lumens with OP textured reflector

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300 Lumen with Orange peel reflector

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300 Lumen with Smooth reflector

One of those 3 will be my first light soon, but not sure which one yet.

Any really big difference in the reflectors, OP versus smooth?

drifts1

Newly Enlightened
This is my vote: EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300 Lumen with Smooth reflector in cool white so the hog stands out.

somename

Newly Enlightened
This is my vote: EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 300 Lumen with Smooth reflector in cool white so the hog stands out.

Thanks for your vote drifts1, and especially the detail on the reflector and LED color! :thumbsup:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You compare Fenix emitter Lumen to EagleTac OTF Lumen. The real comparison is 240 Lumen for the Fenix and 380 Lumen for the EagleTac.

I own neither of both lights, I only have a Fenix TK10, TK11 and an EagleTac T10C2 and T10LC2. The Fenix are more rugged while the EagleTac are brighter. I guess the T20C2 MKII has evoluated, as the T10LC2 already has.

My vote goes to the T20C2 OP, because I like my lights floodier. If you preffer throw, take the SMO, the beam won't be as smooth as with the OP though. The beam will probably be better as the one from the TK12 because of the XP-G emitter, which creates a larger hotspot with less artefacts.

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
Hello somename, I can't comment on the flashlights because I don't have any of the ones you are considering.

I would recommend going with a neutral tint LED. It has been my experience that they offer much better contrast between greens and browns which is useful in hunting. A neutral LED also have a larger portion of red in it, allowing more light to come out the front when used with a red filter. See this post for a spectrograph analysis of cold and neutral LEDs.

Hope this helps some.

somename

Newly Enlightened
Hello somename, I can't comment on the flashlights because I don't have any of the ones you are considering.

I would recommend going with a neutral tint LED. It has been my experience that they offer much better contrast between greens and browns which is useful in hunting. A neutral LED also have a larger portion of red in it, allowing more light to come out the front when used with a red filter. See this post for a spectrograph analysis of cold and neutral LEDs.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks Lithium Juice for the info :thumbsup: You brought out exactly the point I was concerned with on which LED color would pass the most light through the RED filter when hunting.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T20C2 will be overall brighter but the Fenix is better built. You can also achieve a longer runtime with the TK11R2, nearly 3 hours with a single 18650, and 18 hours on med mode.

I vote for the Fenix because none of my 6 flashlights have failed me, but my eagletac stopped working after a 2 feet drop.

drifts1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lithium Juice for the info :thumbsup: You brought out exactly the point I was concerned with on which LED color would pass the most light through the RED filter when hunting.

Good point on the RED filtering thru. However most pigs have a natural camo which helps them blend into their surroundings so a n/w led may actually help them, cool white led's favor you if that makes any sense. Just my .02

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the the Eagletac with the OP reflector because the OP reflector will have less dark spots(rings) in the beam so your light source will more evenly light up a area.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I would go with the the Eagletac with the OP reflector because the OP reflector will have less dark spots(rings) in the beam so your light source will more evenly light up a area.

I don't have a T20C2, but I don't think that would be an issue. The XR-E was infamous for it's "Cree rings" but if my Eagletac P100A2 is any indication then that shouldn't be an issue. The P100A2 uses an XP-E with a Smooth reflector and has a perfect beam. The XP-G would just have a wider beam/hotspot.

I voted for the T20C2 with smooth reflector, but I would personally go for a neutral tint for outdoors and general use. I don't know anything about hog hunting though.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Not to avoid the question or anything, but if I'm understanding correctly, you'll be using a bow and arrow to hunt hogs?

Wouldn't a headlamp or vest mounted angle light be better for you as it would enable you to keep both hands free to use the bow?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good at first but it might not be enough output for him and then also wouldn't his bow maybe get in the way of the light on his head and his arms or bow in the way of a light on his vest?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Sounds good at first but it might not be enough output for him and then also wouldn't his bow maybe get in the way of the light on his head and his arms or bow in the way of a light on his vest?

There are many options to mount a light on the side of your head, and I imagined that some output would be better than none.

If you were using a torch that used up a hand you'd have to holster it in your belt or something before you can draw the bow.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not experienced with bows at all but I am seeing ways by surfing the net of different setups to attach a light to a bow. I learn new stuff all the time, I kind of want a bow now. :)

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Not to avoid the question or anything, but if I'm understanding correctly, you'll be using a bow and arrow to hunt hogs?

Wouldn't a headlamp or vest mounted angle light be better for you as it would enable you to keep both hands free to use the bow?

Vest mount would be flimsy, no control over where the beam would go as you draw/walk around, as well as potential interference with the string at anchor and release (Arrow + flashlight fly forward, and a ripped vest to boot).

Headlight would have minor issues with anchor (your bow is also illuminated quite well), but from a control standpoint better than the vest mount.

There are mounts for accessories to bows, or you can go with those lock blocks and strap it on to your stabilizer. I have one of those blocks, but its main purpose will be to stick a laser pointer to the bow and I can have all the fun of watching my arm bounce around. Essentially any bike mount for a flashlight should work for mounting to a standard stabilizer...

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

True to this. Red filters on a cool LED really block the light. It's pretty weird how the ET blue and green filters look two or three times brighter than the red. Or at least that's how I saw it on my T20C2

BTW, My vote was for the T20C2 MkII

Last edited:

somename

Newly Enlightened
Essentially any bike mount for a flashlight should work for mounting to a standard stabilizer...

That is exactly what I had in mind using this mount on my stabilizer.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=388

This way the light is shining at what I'm aiming at. I tried the head lamp thing and it wasn't bright enough and it wouldn't always point where I'm aiming. I need something reliable that always points where I want it.

I found a light jhc37013 similar to what you showed
http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=155

That light they say is 180 lumens of RED light and looking at the picture is lights up a VERY large area, but does not have lower modes to save batteries. Hence, my search for a light that is as bright with filters.

Looking around I also found this M20 Warrior Premium by OLIGHT
http://www.batteryjunction.com/premium-olight-m20-warrior.html

It shows it can use a remote switch and red filters.

Would that M20 Warrior Premium be a better light than the Fenix and EagleTac?

LeifUK

Enlightened
Using a bow and arrow to hunt pigs? And at night? Wow, no doubt most animals suffer a slow and painful death for your pleasure. It's certainly not sport.