dimmer on a kennan driver

videoman

Enlightened
Hi, has anyone put a dimmer on a kennan driver from Kai ? Where do the pot wires go for soldering? If not on a kennan, DX has a similar driver at $1.99.Any dimmer locations there?

spun

Newly Enlightened
maybe search cpf for kennan?

start on last page of the big thread and work back.

videoman

Enlightened
Thanks, I did that but the photos are not too specific as to where and at what value the pot.

spun

Newly Enlightened
if the photo on page 5 that gillestugan kindly put up seems confusing then this might not be the mod to try.

soldering to that chip leg can be a little tricky. cutting that trace is not hard, just check it before and after for continuity. i used a smaller pot than the 10k he shows, and with a small resistor in series to limit the top ma output. just give it a go, the parts are cheap.

videoman

Enlightened
Thanks, I am just afraid that Kai might give me a different driver as I have seen in earlier posts about their inconsistency. Have you tried their recent Kennan driver? I am building a lamp (not flashlight) that will use 15 XP-G's R5 wired as 5 series strings( 3 series) all paralleled so that each led will see 200ma for a total of 1A from the driver. The reason for this configuration is 1- minimal total heat if driven at low current and 2- input drive voltage must be from 12 to 18VDC. By the specs, I see that vf is slightly less than 9v for the string. Does the Kennan driver support that value from 12VDC ?

videoman

Enlightened
Thanks. I will b ordering some next week, hope I'll get them before next year.