Nitecore D10 Warm Tint...Another version?

Gumboot

Newly Enlightened
Since using a nitecore D10 R2 XRE ramping UI for several months it has become my most used light. I wanted to pick up a spare D10 with the origional UI and when I saw the Tribute come out it was an immediate purchase. My main use is outdoors and a warm tint is my preference and wished the D10 came in a warm tint. I never saw a reference to a warm tinted D10 at CPF so I thought I was out of luck until I found it at Light Junction. It is not the ramping UI,my preference, but the new SP UI that I'll put up with for the warm tint. Tried it tonight while out for a walk and it's a :twothumbs. Another version? The body is marked Smart PD D10 SP W. I would buy another if it had the ramping UI.

Take note Zeruel !

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's already on its way to me since last week. :p

btw, :welcome:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wanting a ramping warm version for quite a while now. I guess i have to wait more.. or forever.:mecry:

Gumboot

Newly Enlightened
Possibly if enough interest is generated here at CPF a retailer will produce a special run of the warm ramping UI version. Voice your desire.

Axion

Enlightened
I would also like to know if the warm D10 is an XP-E emitter. That is a make or break factor to me.

Gumboot

Newly Enlightened
Going by Zeruel's original "Tribute to the Nitecore D10" post and using the "Commonly Used LED Emitter Index" sticky the emitter would be a XR-E Q3.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Not sure why they ditched the camping UI as it is the best and simple. I love my recently acquire d10 and would also love a bright warm tint and a trit button.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have been wanting a ramping warm version for quite a while now. I guess i have to wait more.. or forever.:mecry:
I have an old ramping version EX10 with Q3 5A and trit piston :twothumbs
Norm

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
Going by Zeruel's original "Tribute to the Nitecore D10" post and using the "Commonly Used LED Emitter Index" sticky the emitter would be a XR-E Q3.

Looks like you're right.. I scrolled down Zeruel's huge post again, it seems like I missed the part on the Warm version in the first place.

Too bad it's an XR-E, one could have expected nitecore to just swap the cool XP-E for a neutral one, with it's smooooth beam.

Anyway, I'm gonna have to get one...

Edit: still looking for info about the tint bin, I hope it's not too yellowish

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EX10 SP with the Q3. I think they are using a 5A bin. It's an XR-E, so it is typically ringy on a white all say to about 10 feet. At longer distance, or outdoors, i don't really notice it. I would expect similar performance from a D10 so equippped.

An XP-E would have been preferable.

It is more yellow-ish than my Jet 1-Pro V3, which is also claimed to use a Q3 5A XR-E, but not as yellow as either my Quark 123 Tactical Warm or either of my NiteCore EZ series lights, the emitter type and tint bin of which I do not remember.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
Just to let you guys know that the warm version from lightjunction that I received this morning is great.
The "warm" label is confusing, as it's not warm but neutral :shrug:
It's whiter than my D20, and does not have any strong hue towards yellow nor pink.
Any true D10 fan should own this one to complete the family...:devil:

Now waiting for the ultimate D10, ramping, with digital lock-out, hidden strobe and sos or shortcuts to max and min (pick your choice), and a neutral XP-E !

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking I will probably get the D10 with the Q3, even if it is an XR-E, since I only have two 1 x AA EDC lights. The cool tints annoy me when I use them in the woods, so the neutral and warms are more versatile for me; I don't much care about a bit of lumen loss on "high."

And not to derail the thread, but the NDI is also available now with the neutral Q3 5A, and I'm not sure which to get, as I like both UIs. Thoughs? Is the NDI significantly brighter on either an Eneloop or 14500? From what reviews I've seen, the circuitry of both lights seem similar, just the UIs are different. If the output is the same, then it's really just a question of UI.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
I did a runtime test using a scientific method; I dunked the bottom of the light in a glass of water, and waited for it to turn off while watching a stupid movie ("***** Slap" if you ask)

With a fully charged AW 14500 the light gave me a little more than 50min of runtime on high which I found particularly unimpressing. I previously had the feeling that the runtime was quite low compared to my first gen D10 which I dont remember needed such frequent charges.
I think what I'll do next is figuring out a way to evaluate the parasitic drain, either by measuring the current or doing daily voltage checks on the battery.

If it was'nt for the tint that I love I'd be pondering whether to return this light.
I may post a comparative beamshot later.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a runtime test using a scientific method; I dunked the bottom of the light in a glass of water, and waited for it to turn off while watching a stupid movie ("***** Slap" if you ask)

With a fully charged AW 14500 the light gave me a little more than 50min of runtime on high which I found particularly unimpressing. I previously had the feeling that the runtime was quite low compared to my first gen D10 which I dont remember needed such frequent charges.
I think what I'll do next is figuring out a way to evaluate the parasitic drain, either by measuring the current or doing daily voltage checks on the battery.

If it was'nt for the tint that I love I'd be pondering whether to return this light.
I may post a comparative beamshot later.

The runtime on the D10 SP on high seems unduly short, IMHO, if I recall selfbuilt's review correctly. I was pretty sure I wanted to get one of these a couple weeks back, but realizing the runtime is really something like barely 30 mins. + on an Eneloop before the output starts to seriously drop off, I've held off. I really like the form factor on the D10, but think based on the high runtimes, and the apparently more touchy piston mechanism on the D10s vs. the EX10s (nobody seems to complain about the EX10 piston...), I'm thinking I'd get the NDI with the Q3 and the EX10 SP with the R2 XP-E, which is reported to have a very nice smooth beam, with much better runtimes than the AA powered D10.