Cree XP-G R5 vs. Cree WC R2

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference of tint, lumens, efficiency between those LED?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The data sheet tells you what you want to know. Actually, The last two characters you had, R5 and R2 already tell you the efficiency (as explained in the above posted datasheet).

The XP-G has a larger emitting area, which gives it the higher efficiency, but also means a larger hotspot with a reflector and probably optics.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree XP-G R5 vs. Cree WC R2
not enough data!

but it will most certainly be a XP-G in bin R5 (brightest) and the most "actual" tint,
(which is T1 ("cold" = more on the blue side and a tendancy into green)).
((at least most everywhere, where the XP-G is sold and where they really type the whole order-#, it was T1.))

WC R2 is - again most certainly - a Cree XR-E, in its most powerful bin, in the most sought after white tint

difference ist about 1/3 more output with the XP-G, which also makes a slightly wider beam
(has larger emitter pad)

itsmejaytee

Newly Enlightened
Heh.. i figured but just thought id make sure. Because you guys mention that it has a slighter wider spill, so i thought maybe it might not throw very far because of that.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
not always. wider dispersion angle means more light is caught by the reflector, which translates directly into more throw.

Not really , with some yes with others no ...

You cant make such a generalization ...

Its very much dependent on the relationship between the LED and reflector .

If you were to design a XP-G specific focusing reflector , then possibly yes , but with current options , esp with smaller lights , where adjusting focus for best throw is not possible , XR-E rules supreme ...

mA for mA XP-G rules the roost , but output does not = throw ...

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have an ITP SA1 Eluma, I was told there are two versions? The R2 and R5?

Id like to know if someone could tell me please... How I can tell if my light is using the Cree R2 or R5?

TIA! ;)

- Rod

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it looks like this (notice three dark spots):
SS-2010.04.17-21.43.05.png

Than it's XP-E R2. Bigger chip:
SS-2010.04.17-21.46.28.png

Means you have XP-G R5 version.

Pictures taken from this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?270419-Commonly-Used-LED-Emitter-Index

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G has a greater output but XR-E will throw further because it is brighter as measured by surface brightness.

As you can see it's hard to get a consistent answer to a question like this because for one thing it can even depend on what you mean by "brighter"...lumen or lux?

Roood

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply guys.

@phantom23: does this mean i have more range (which i prefer) in the r2 compared to an r5?

@gcbryan:i was thinking lumens but since you mentioned it what about lux? ;) ive always had a problem differentiating lux vs lumens. ive read it many times and im embarassed to say i still dont understand. well what i understand that lumens is range and lux is area of illuminance. or am i wrong? hehehe. *blushing