E1B W/ Kl4

dcycleman

Enlightened
Hey, you think you could take apart an E1B bezel and screw on a Kl4 reflector? Giving you a 1 cell 2 stage L4 in effect? that would be prettty cool.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't work. Incompatible parts. You probably can transplant the E1B driver to the KL4 if you want a two-mode KL4 Then, you'd have to make sure that you have a compatible LED as well. Doesn't the E1B use a Seoul P4 or maybe a Cree XR-E? If you have an old KL4 with Lux V, the E1B driver probably won't work that well with that LED.

dcycleman

Enlightened
Won't work. Incompatible parts. You probably can transplant the E1B driver to the KL4 if you want a two-mode KL4 Then, you'd have to make sure that you have a compatible LED as well. Doesn't the E1B use a Seoul P4 or maybe a Cree XR-E? If you have an old KL4 with Lux V, the E1B driver probably won't work that well with that LED.
I think you misunderstand me. I dont want to switch leds, I am just wondering if it is possible to unscrew the TIR from the E1B and then screw on the reflector from the Kl4, leaving the Led and board untouched. Basicly making a reflectored E1B.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understood perfectly. Like I wrote originally, incompatible parts. The top half of the KL4 with the reflector has male threads. The bottom half of the E1B head with the LED and driver has male threads. Male-to-male threading -> no-go, incompatible, won't work, SOL.

dcycleman

Enlightened
yeah, I found images of both heads opened up, defintly not possible. However, Mabe it would be possible to switch the driver from an E1B to a Kl4 and swap the LEd as well. However should it go wrong, it would be a rather expensive screw up. or mabe it would be possible to throw a reflector in the e1B bezel

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the point? Just find an appropriate driver and LED for the KL4 and mod that head. Why gut two heads to mod just one of them, leaving the other head essentially unusable?

dcycleman

Enlightened
you make a point. My reasoning is because I have no idea what driver and led to get, surefires combination coupled with a reflector from another light would work. I have an old LuxIII E2L, mabe I'll experiment on that before I do anything else.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your assumption that SureFire parts are interchangeable is fallacious. Combining that with a lack of knowledge of how to select correct LED/driver combinations leads you to a fallacious conclusion that mod'ing two expensive heads to make one working head makes sense.

dcycleman

Enlightened
Your assumption that SureFire parts are interchangeable is fallacious. Combining that with a lack of knowledge of how to select correct LED/driver combinations leads you to a fallacious conclusion that mod'ing two expensive heads to make one working head makes sense.
You are completely correct, I dont know what I was thinking. Thank goodness that there are helpfull individuals such as yourself to educate the rest of us. I really dont know what I would do without such constructive information :rolleyes: