Eagletac P20A2

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a P20A2 mk1 from flashaholics for 35 pounds UK, which I thought good value for my first serious torch.

But I'm very frustrated by its willingness to go into flashing survival mode. It would seem after the first click you have about 3.5 to 4 seconds to click again to bring on flash mode.

I would have designed it so that two quick presses, within say 1 second of each other, would engage flash mode. But having to wait 4 secs to press again without risking the annoying flashing is very annoying for my uses. I often like to push the light on momentarily without engaging the clicker, that's why I think it should reset itself after a second.

Why did they design it like this. Has anyone found a workaround?

Overall I think the twist UI is interesting, but it's impossible to go from low mode to normal mode easily, without first going to turbo mode, then waiting a few seconds, then going to normal mode.

Just a few observations, feel free to put me right!

wingnut86

Banned
The strobe is what it is. It was fixed and made user removable in the MKII version. To get to low you should be able to start in either high or general mode, so when you exit low mode, it will go into the mode you want, high or general.

If the MKI version didn't have the annoying strobe you could double click to exit low mode.

fannin

Enlightened
i have one, i like it because it throws nicely for a 2xaa but the strobe/momentary on and the modes are like a child designed them

not a refined light but good for outdoors

chenko

Enlightened
I quote what Fannin says. The strobe issue is kinda dumb, but it's a good light overall and throws like crazy. I bought it for the outdoors and it performs well.

Sector7

Enlightened
I am glad passed up on this light after reading how it works and waited for the Mark II, its much better now with the updated emitter and the added moonlight mode.

jt7747

Newly Enlightened
Couple more observations:

The very front silver ring is intent on working itself free. If I want to put the diffuser on then I need to take this ring off. Does anyone know what purpose it serves? I guess it protects the front glass, but it won't stay on tight and I know I'm gonna lose it.

Also, I've noticed the twist head doesn't feel as smooth as it used to, there must be some sand or dirt or something. I don't want to clean out all the grease up there, but I'd like to get rid of the offending particles. Any ideas?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
It's probably just tiny pieces of aluminium frr the threads bedding themsleves in. My P100C2 was like that and I used a piece of twisted cloth to chase out the threads (came out black) and then added some teflon grease and it's now the smoothest twisting head I've got.

Edit: I forgot, I also deburred the contact ring too.

TaskMaster

Newly Enlightened
I am glad passed up on this light after reading how it works and waited for the Mark II, its much better now with the updated emitter and the added moonlight mode.

I'm trying to decide between a Quark AA2 and an Eagletac P20A2 and this is the only thread I've seen mentioning the P20A2 Mark II has a moonlight mode. Is that the case? I can't find any info on a moonlight mode so I am thinking it doesn't have one. Can someone that has one confirm?

Thanks for any info.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get a good deal since this is the old version? If not, send it back and get the new P20A2 MKII version where the strobe issues are fixed.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
The strobe issue was universally disliked by flashaholics. EagleTAC listened and made a better UI for the MkII. Is there any way to send it back for the newer version. I will admit that the stainless bezel ring does have a tendency to loosen. I gave mine a good tight twist and it hasn't loosened again.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'm trying to decide between a Quark AA2 and an Eagletac P20A2 and this is the only thread I've seen mentioning the P20A2 Mark II has a moonlight mode. Is that the case? I can't find any info on a moonlight mode so I am thinking it doesn't have one. Can someone that has one confirm?

Thanks for any info.
It has a "low" mode in addition to the max and general modes. Variously reported on the Eagletac website as 15 or 5 lumens depending on which part of the specs you look in. Accessed by twist/untwist along with strobe, beacon etc.