Light for industrial maintenance use

fangle

Newly Enlightened
I work in a manufacturing plant and I do a good amount of hands-on work in and around the equipment. I have nice lights for close up work but I am looking for something better for long distances. Right now I'm using a Taskforce 2c modified with an XR-E Q5 emitter from DX. (It helps a little but was a simple mod.) When using the TF inside equipment with no lighting or inspecting the inside of ductwork it is OK but the bean is a little too narrow. I recently tried to use the TF to inspect equipment mounted to the ceiling (35'-40' up) in a well-lit room. The equipment was above the room lighting, so it was not well illuminated. In this case the spot from the TF was too small and too dim.

I hate to post another "choose a light for me" thread but I don't have a way to see any interesting lights in person so I wanted to get some feedback from the group on lights to consider to replace the TF. I don't want a floodlight, but something brighter and with a larger spot would be good. (I have a POB HID for serious distances, but it is a little large to carry around at work.)

1. Budget is <=$100
2. I have access to unlimited AA, AAA, C, and D cells. Otherwise I would need to buy my own rechargeable batteries and that would have to fit into the budget. With rechargeables the light or batteries should be able to stay on the charger until needed so that the light is always ready to go.
3. The TF 2c size is good. I want to be able to put the light in my back pocket or in my jacket. I would consider larger lights but that would be inconvenient.
4. Brighter, larger spot than the TF 2C
5. I prefer that the light NOT have a glass lens – this can violate food manufacturing safety rules. Shatterproof plastic is preferred.
6. Runtime on the brightest setting should be around an hour (more is better) on a charge or a set of batteries.
7. I'm not too concerned with having many settings, strobes, SOS flashers, etc.
8. The light will be subjected to typical industrial use. It will get bumped, dropped, etc. I don't abuse my tools but they do get used.
9. The light does not need to be waterproof.
10. I'm not against modifying a light to meet my needs.
11. I prefer a supplier that has products in stock, ready to ship.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Biggest seller in the UK to the Auto and Maintainence trades are Led Lenser simply because nearly all the tools van carry them including Snap On Mag etc.Nearly every trade supplier I know carry them including the company I work for.To be honest non flash light folk have never heard of any other make in the UK except Maglite and the latest craze is all now buying Led Lenser head lamps.

Offer your stores/parts people a nice drink and they may order you one with no charge.(hoping but you never know until you ask)

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the good torches have the glass lenses , though no doubt you could easily replace that.

A three mode iTP A2 would make a great every day carry as it is small and uses a single AA cell ... It has a high , medium and a low power ... It is beautifully made too,

There is also a very nice Solarfire L2i which is a single mode and uses three AAA cells ... For about £9 extra you could get a three mode drop in ... The L2i is easily altered to take a single 18650 if you so desired.

Both my suggestions are classed as budget buys which is why I have them.

They have no reliability worries.

Ideally you would really need one of each as it is nice to have a back-up just in case.

wingnut86

Banned
How about a Malkoff drop-in in a 2C Maglite??

Extremely durable light, bright, back-pocketable, plastic lens, decent runtime on two C cells. (it seems he's sold out at the moment though)

The 2d Maglite Led lights are nice, the ones with the Rebel LED.

Last edited:

fangle

Newly Enlightened
A three mode iTP A2 would make a great every day carry as it is small and uses a single AA cell ... It has a high , medium and a low power ... It is beautifully made too,

I have a Life+Gear single AA light for short distance work. I like it for its size and runtime. I did have to repair it after a few months of light use, as the + contact stud in the head had a poor solder joint to the driver board. It appears that the small traces on the board don't match with the large machined metal pin used for the contact. It was difficult to solder, so I removed the machined pin and added a loop of copper wire well tinned with solder. It works just as well and now I know I have a good solder joint at the driver board.

I agree with the need for two lights. I have the small EDC size with this single AA. Now I need the larger light, something in the 2C size for body diameter, or smaller. I'm not worried about having a larger head/lens assembly.

I'm sure I could play with the lens to get around the glass issue. For sake of argument and some good light discussions, let's assume that glass lenses won't be a problem.

I've had few responses on this - have I set the budget too low? What would changing the budget to $150 do? The Fenix TK30 would fit, then.

Thanks!

fangle

Newly Enlightened
How about a Malkoff drop-in in a 2C Maglite??

Extremely durable light, bright, back-pocketable, plastic lens, decent runtime on two C cells. (it seems he's sold out at the moment though)

The 2d Maglite Led lights are nice, the ones with the Rebel LED.

Yeah, that's the problem with the Malkoff stuff. I've never seen a time they aren't sold out.

Anyone have a drawing of the aluminum block that's used for the various Mag mods? I could get some made pretty easily. But that's another thread. . .

I agree with your comments about the new Mag LED lights. I have a 3D version and it is very good for the cheap price. A D size body is a little large for back pocket carry, though. I need to be able to stick it in a pocket at times for climbing equipment ladders, etc.

Thanks!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an LED Lenser P14, runs off 4xAAs and its surprisingly bright too. Has the ability to focus from flood to spot and has 3 modes, turbo (momentary only), high and low. There seems to be a lot of fuss about it not being regulated etc but no big deal for me, i like that it can focus and that's good enough for my uses.