My new Javelin with a neutral white R2 led. (Now with pictures.)

jenskh

Enlightened
I have had a Javelin with a XRE Q4 5C emitter, and loved the light. A while ago, I gave it to a friend as a present, and of cource my plan was to buy a new for myself.
Unfortunately Dereelight was out of this emitter. I then bought a Javelin with two XPG R5 modules and I also bought an XPE R2 4D emitter from Cutter.

Despite the size of these emitters, I succeded in changing one of the XPG R5 emitters with this tiny, tiny XPE emitter, and WOW! The light is beautiful. Driven with two NiMh batteries, the XPG R5 emitter gives about 4800 lux @1m. The module with the neutral XPE emitter gives about 7000 lux @1m.

All in all, I just love both the color and the beam pattern from this XPE emitter in the Dereelight XPG reflector. And now I am also waiting for some NiZn batteries to really fire up this module.
I will give you both the beam pattern and the lumens reading later.
Jens

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My new Javelin with a neutral white R2 led

Your Dereelight XP-G will, indeed be even brighter when you switch to 2 NiZn AAs...and yes, brighter AGAIN if you add an extender and fill it with 3 NiMH AAs. (Three NiZn cells would destroy the module.)

jenskh

Enlightened

OK, but it is too late (for me) here in Norway for making any pics tonight. I will give you more later.
I just put the pill with the XPE emitter into the XPG reflector of my DBS, and suddenly my DBS went back into beeing a thrower. I will really recommend Dereelight to supply the XPE emitter as an alternative to the XPG.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened

Nice work! Hopefully, Dereelight will release a neutral-white XP-G drop in for the Javelin in the future.

Looking forward to pics! :D

recDNA

Flashaholic

Your Dereelight XP-G will, indeed be even brighter when you switch to 2 NiZn AAs...and yes, brighter AGAIN if you add an extender and fill it with 3 NiMH AAs. (Three NiZn cells would destroy the module.)

How would 2 Li primaries (L91) do in comparison?

jenskh

Enlightened

I have experimented a little, and it seems that the module just needs a little more voltage than two NiMh batteries to give full output. In fact two fully topped NiMhs almost do this. I am sure two primary lithiums would work very well.

jenskh

Enlightened

b0125.jpg
Here is a photo taken of the light from my Dereelight XPG R5 module and the module I with the XPE R2 4D led. Both modules are driven with 2 NiMh batteries.
First picture is taken with a 1/30 second opening time.

Next is taken with a 1/125 s time:

As you can see the XPE led gives a significantly brighter, but smaller hot spot than the XPG led.
For me the color of this 4D tinted led is one of the nicest led tints I have seen. I am so satisfied with my mod.
I have now also tried these modules with NiZn batteries, and they get significantly brighter.

camelNotation

Newly Enlightened

jenskh,

The color tint of the LED looks very good! Not as cool as the cool white XPG, and not as warm as other neutral white bins (such as 5A). The fact that this LED is available in the R2 bin leads me to think that it's one of Cree's new "Outdoor White" LEDs.

I would really love to see manufacturers incorporate these LEDs into their lights possibly as a "true neutral white" option, that is, a compromise that gives the high output of cool LEDs in a less harsh color.

That being said, how does this tint perform indoors and outdoors, compared to both warmer and cooler tints?

recDNA

Flashaholic

I have experimented a little, and it seems that the module just needs a little more voltage than two NiMh batteries to give full output. In fact two fully topped NiMhs almost do this. I am sure two primary lithiums would work very well.

That's what I do. The Jav is a little too long for me with the extender installed. I'd actually like to try it with a CL1H body to see if I like that better.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, Cree doesn't make a R2 neutral-white?
So is this an outdoor-white xp-e?

camelNotation

Newly Enlightened
Cree does not make neutral white in R2. But it does make outdoor white in R2. The color temperature ranges of the two types are approximately equal, but the outdoor white sacrifices a little bit of color rendition for greater efficiency.

For more information, see
http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_xpe.asp

jenskh

Enlightened

jenskh,

The color tint of the LED looks very good! Not as cool as the cool white XPG, and not as warm as other neutral white bins (such as 5A). The fact that this LED is available in the R2 bin leads me to think that it's one of Cree's new "Outdoor White" LEDs.

I would really love to see manufacturers incorporate these LEDs into their lights possibly as a "true neutral white" option, that is, a compromise that gives the high output of cool LEDs in a less harsh color.

That being said, how does this tint perform indoors and outdoors, compared to both warmer and cooler tints?

You are right, Cutter calls it "neutral white", but after looking in the data sheets, it seems that Cree calls it "outdoor white".
I like the tint very much both indoor and outdoor. It makes a more comfortable illumination indoors compared to cooler leds, and outdoor it makes grass and leaves look green instead of bluish as it does with the XPG R5 led.
For me it is nearly perfect outdoors. For indoors I think I like even better warmer tints like 5A, B or C, but it depends on what I am using the flashlight for.
I plan on making some fixed indoor lighting, and then I think I will use a combination of XPG Q5 7D and XPG R4 5B

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened

OK, but it is too late (for me) here in Norway for making any pics tonight. I will give you more later.
I just put the pill with the XPE emitter into the XPG reflector of my DBS, and suddenly my DBS went back into beeing a thrower. I will really recommend Dereelight to supply the XPE emitter as an alternative to the XPG.

I have to second this sentiment. I just got a new DBS V3 with the XP-G R5 and I am rather underwhelmed. I have a few others, with XR-E R2 WC and MC-E emitters, and I really like them. I was expecting to be wowed by the new XP-G and find it a bit disappointing. Both my XR-E's will out-throw it, and they have nice beam quality even with SMO reflectors. The MC-E version is not as throwy, but is a real nice beam for a quad die emitter, smooth and pleasant with a OP reflector, with way more light output. The XP-G version with the special XP-G SMO reflector that Deerelight sends in it yields more rings than the planet Saturn. What a nasty beam quality! I just ordered an XP-E Q5 5C pill and I'll see how this works in the XP-G reflector. If it bombs out, I'll convert it to a tried and true XR-E with a spare XR-E reflector and pill.