LED for 6v battery flashlight

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if there is any simple way to upgrade a Rayovac 6v flashlight with an LED or Zenon or something with more power. The current lamp in the flashlight is a philips pr-13. Any help would be great. Thanks

Burgess

Flashaholic
EverLED has (or had) a "bulb" for Lanterns.

NOTE WELL:

Proper Polarity is Essential ! ! !

They make (made) a "reverse-polarity" version, which was marked with a Diamond.

Make CERTAIN you match polarity correctly !

Otherwise, you will :poof: yer' Expensive New Lamp.

:shakehead
_

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lights that run on 6V lantern batteries are almost always negative polarity and they will :poof: most LED replacement "bulbs".I don't know if the EverLED neg. polarity LED "bulb"
is available anymore either but it is only a LUX I or III so it won't be exceptionally bright.You may be able to overdrive a 3 cell bulb or use Maglite's Magnum Star Xenon 4-cell bulb to improve output but they will not offer the run-time of LEDs.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Unless you feel like modding the lantern with a driver and a high output LED with heatsink you are looking at $12-20+ for a drop in if the polarity issues are not a problem. Compare this with looking around for a light with a comparable output that isn't limited to using large heavy expensive lantern batteries you may think twice about bothering with it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 2 problems.

1st the polarity problem already mentioned. Mine was OK but I don't think ROV builds their lanterns so I do not know for sure yours will. My lantern has no markings, the battery says ROV.
6V-lantern--MTE-P7.jpg

2nd the location of the LED for focus. A lot of drop ins are built for Mags with focussing abilities so many LED bulbs do not focus well in fixed focus flashlights.
SuperbrightLEDs PR2-1-WHP in my 6V lantern 3M or more.
PR2-1WHP-bulb-in-6V-lantern-far.jpg

Terralux TLE-1F in my 6V lantern 3M or more.
TLE-1F-far.jpg

Close in at 1M the opposite occurs - The TLE-1F produced a donut hole and the PR2-1-WHP a nice spot.

Dorcy 41-1642 1.5 V - 8 Volt 1 Watt LED Module
TerraLUX TLE-1F 1 Watt Universal Fit Flange Mount LED-Replacement bulb

Here is a thread on PR2 replacement bulbs:
complete list of all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs