p7 or sst-50?

forexer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I;m new in LEDs so pardon my noobishness. I'm deciding whether to get the eagletec p7 or the thrunite sst-50 cat. Both looks so attractive and pricing is almost on par.

For the leds, the p7 has more flood, multi die and suffers the doughnut effect. The sst-50 is really powerful and the cat's reflector offers crazy throw.

What are the colour temps for each LED? Also, can you guys specifiy to operating voltage and the wattage as well? Which do you like more. Which is newer and more efficient (LM per watt)?

As a side note, could you guys tell me which light you like more? The eagletec p7 or the thrunite sst-50 cat?

Thanks again!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the SST-50.

They offer a tiny bit more throw and a perfect beam. I would get it just for the latter.

forexer

Newly Enlightened
So i;m assuming sst-50 is better in all ways then the p7 form ssc. Ok, then how does it stack up to the newer crees? Maybe you guys can explain about why you prefer which, as education.

Forexer

bullettproof

Enlightened
So i;m assuming sst-50 is better in all ways then the p7 form ssc. Ok, then how does it stack up to the newer crees? Maybe you guys can explain about why you prefer which, as education.

Forexer

You better get to using the search function.We hear the same questions over and over and over.So do like most of us had to and read read and read. I doubt you get any answers other then what you asked. So ill leave it at this these are the LED's that you want currently SSR-90- SST-50 - XPG-R5 read away.:nana:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the LED alone, is the SST50 more efficient (more lm/watt) than the p7?

That question is missing so much information as to be meaningless. Do you mean with each LED driven for maximum efficiency (down around 100mA or so)? The same current (and what current)? The same output (what output)? Same current density? Each at maximum rated current? Each overdriven to peak output (where more drive current just yields more heat and reduces lumens) and if so, what ambient temperature and thermal resistance?

For the most likely of these, the datasheets have all the data you need. For the peak efficiency and peak output options, you'll need to look at jtr1962's "white LED testing" thread.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really know the answer to these questions and you're going to bother to post isn't it easier to just answer the questions?

I'm not clear enough on the answers myself or I would be glad to answer. I do recall that looking at the charts for the SST-90 that it didn't seem particularly efficient after about 1amp although it could be driven to 5 amps.

At 1 amp you got around 500 lumens and at 5 amps you got 1200 lumens or so. The inefficiency went straight up after 1 amp. The only advantage it seemed to me was just that it could handle that kind of current.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really know the answer to these questions and you're going to bother to post isn't it easier to just answer the questions?
Easier, sure. It might be. But I'm not going to commit to answering all the other questions that are trivially answerable from the datasheets, so I'd be offering a lot less help by spewing a few answers in hopes that one of them fits the (unasked) question. (Y'know, fish-giving vs. fishing-teaching...)

Moreover, I don't know the answers to all those questions -- I know where to look for the information that answers them, but I've no great interest in them.

Finally, there's another key component I meant to mention, but forgot -- what flux bin (and for P7 what Vf bin)? Am I to make a matrix of all SST-50 and P7 binning combinations with rankings for each question, in hopes that one value somewhere in that mess will answer the question someone couldn't even be bothered to finish asking? Somewhere along the way, this "give a man a shopping-cart full of fish" plan definitely stopped being easier than pointing to the right information sources.

I'm not clear enough on the answers myself or I would be glad to answer. I do recall that looking at the charts for the SST-90 that it didn't seem particularly efficient after about 1amp although it could be driven to 5 amps.
It's commendable that you realize you're unclear on this, especially since it seems you might be confusing the SST-50 and SST-90... I guess you're talking SST-50 throughout?

At 1 amp you got around 500 lumens and at 5 amps you got 1200 lumens or so. The inefficiency went straight up after 1 amp.
"Straight up"? in a plot of what vs. what?!

All LEDs peak in efficiency at some low drive current (typically something like 25mA/mm^2, IIRC), and suffer serious inefficiencies as drive current increases -- more area (the SST-50 has 5 mm^2 vs. the P7's 4 mm^2) means less relative sag at the same current, all else being equal; there's no knee in the graph at 1A for either emitter. Since the SST-50 is rated for up to 1A/mm^2 and the P7 only for 0.7A/mm^2, it's unremarkable that the inefficiencies at the high end of the SST-50 are more pronounced, but there's no knee at or near 1A for either LED.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easier, sure. It might be. But I'm not going to commit to answering all the other questions that are trivially answerable from the datasheets, so I'd be offering a lot less help by spewing a few answers in hopes that one of them fits the (unasked) question. (Y'know, fish-giving vs. fishing-teaching...)

Moreover, I don't know the answers to all those questions -- I know where to look for the information that answers them, but I've no great interest in them.

Finally, there's another key component I meant to mention, but forgot -- what flux bin (and for P7 what Vf bin)? Am I to make a matrix of all SST-50 and P7 binning combinations with rankings for each question, in hopes that one value somewhere in that mess will answer the question someone couldn't even be bothered to finish asking? Somewhere along the way, this "give a man a shopping-cart full of fish" plan definitely stopped being easier than pointing to the right information sources.

It's commendable that you realize you're unclear on this, especially since it seems you might be confusing the SST-50 and SST-90... I guess you're talking SST-50 throughout?

"Straight up"? in a plot of what vs. what?!

All LEDs peak in efficiency at some low drive current (typically something like 25mA/mm^2, IIRC), and suffer serious inefficiencies as drive current increases -- more area (the SST-50 has 5 mm^2 vs. the P7's 4 mm^2) means less relative sag at the same current, all else being equal; there's no knee in the graph at 1A for either emitter. Since the SST-50 is rated for up to 1A/mm^2 and the P7 only for 0.7A/mm^2, it's unremarkable that the inefficiencies at the high end of the SST-50 are more pronounced, but there's no knee at or near 1A for either LED.

First of all I didn't mean to jump on anyone but I can see how my response might have come off that way:)

You're right,I was referring to SST-50 rather than 90. I'll have to find the info again but I thought I saw a current/flux chart with 500 lumens at 1 amp and 1250 lumens at 5 amp. If that's correct that would be a knee. I'll have to look that info up though if you're saying I'm incorrect.

My impression is that he was asking, in effect, if the P7 at it's max current within specs was more efficient than the SST50 at that same flux level.

He doesn't use those words of course but that would be the common usage I believe. Sure the flux bins matter and all that but it still seems like the main point that he would be interested in could be answered fairly easily from what he did ask. Which is more efficient at comparable levels is a fair question to me.

I actually have an older computer and operating system and it's hard for me to get pdf files without my computer crashing so I can understand asking a simple question if I think it might be common knowledge to others.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, I looked at the datasheets, but I don't know what the most commonly used bins are now
Back in the Lux days, TxxJ was one of the most easily obtained bins.
Plus, I prefer real world application to what a piece of paper says

Davey

Newly Enlightened
Just received my cat.. The build quality and solid feel of this light is just amazing. Its a beauty to behold, also loving the output but can't compare to an eagletac cos i don't have one.

Go the SST-50!!