M1X V4 question...

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved my M1X and love the light. I ordered the V4 in grey. When I disassemble the light, it comes apart completely differently than all of the pics I see on CPF. Unlike the pic below, my battery tube threads apart from the fins with male threads on both ends. On the head unit, the lower 3 (smaller) fins unscrew from the upper 4 fins, with the 3-fin part including the emitter & electronics. The positive battery connection also has a button in the middle with a copper ring around it. I also note that the OP reflector is not two-stage like I have seen in other pics. It all works well, I am just suprised that it would disassemble so differently. I'm not sure if my description will be very clear, so I will try to get pics, but if anyone else has any insight I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

M1X-10.jpg

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I have the same M1X that you have. I have had the light for a month or so with no problems. The reflector seems to have gone through a design change for some reason. It seems to be a larger hot spot than the 2 stage as you described.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Was the old reflector too good in throw department ? Too strong competition for new M2S ...RRT-3 ?? :shakehead :confused:

Anyway... please post the pics :popcorn:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please resize your pics before they are deleted by a moderator. The maximum allowable size if 800x600 pixels.

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
I have the same M1X that you have. I have had the light for a month or so with no problems. The reflector seems to have gone through a design change for some reason. It seems to be a larger hot spot than the 2 stage as you described.

Can anyone confirm if the two-stage reflector has a tighter hot spot, or how the V4 compares to the older models? I have only read that there was supposed to be a driver improvement for runtime. I'd be disappointed if the new model had less throw because, to me, that would not be an improvement at all.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone confirm if the two-stage reflector has a tighter hot spot, or how the V4 compares to the older models? I have only read that there was supposed to be a driver improvement for runtime. I'd be disappointed if the new model had less throw because, to me, that would not be an improvement at all.
What? Has your M1X a "normal" reflector? How is the throw? I was planning to buy this light for its throw but if all new M1Xs are like your, i'll buy something else. I wanna the 2-stage reflector... if i want flood, i buy another light!

hazna

Enlightened
I would actually consider this light, if it has less throw and a larger hot-spot! Whats the difference between the various versions?

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
What? Has your M1X a "normal" reflector? How is the throw? I was planning to buy this light for its throw but if all new M1Xs are like your, i'll buy something else. I wanna the 2-stage reflector... if i want flood, i buy another light!

The flashlight is certainly impressive, but I really don't have anything to compare it to, so I was hoping someone here would have some information. I own a Jet-III M and a Jet ST and this is my next "logical" step up. The distance in my back yard to the woods behind the adjacent sediment pond is around 100 yards, so I wanted to be able to light things up at that distance really well - also with good spill to walk through fairly rough terrain. I can say it does a great job and lights thing up down the street a good 200 yards away, but I am still curious about the design change and what it did to performance.

Again, still love the light. For me, its a ton of light, gets very good run time, has a very good interface, and is priced well (IMO) for the overall quality.

-Greg

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my M1X about a month ago too and it works well, but I can say that beam shape / spot size and intensity look pretty much exactly the same as my TK40... can anyone confirm there was a change in the reflector and how it affects the beam? I got it because it was supposed to be the best throw light out there. I'm keeping it for other reasons than that, but I'd like to know too...

357mag1

Enlightened
I got my M1X about a month ago too and it works well, but I can say that beam shape / spot size and intensity look pretty much exactly the same as my TK40... can anyone confirm there was a change in the reflector and how it affects the beam? I got it because it was supposed to be the best throw light out there. I'm keeping it for other reasons than that, but I'd like to know too...

I have a M1X purchased in Nov09 and one purchased a month ago. The new M1X reflector isn't as deep but draws 1.5A compared to 1.4A at the tailcap. The new M1X appears brighter but leans more toward blue in color and doesn't throw as well as the older model with the deeper reflector. The new M1X just died too so it is going back for repair. I has less than 20 minutes of operation on it before failing.

allen2oo3

Newly Enlightened
I have a M1X purchased in Nov09 and one purchased a month ago. The new M1X reflector isn't as deep but draws 1.5A compared to 1.4A at the tailcap. The new M1X appears brighter but leans more toward blue in color and doesn't throw as well as the older model with the deeper reflector. The new M1X just died too so it is going back for repair. I has less than 20 minutes of operation on it before failing.

thanks for this info. i guess i'll have to look in the marketplace for a v3.0 as i want more throw

when you get your replacement, would you be able to do some beamshots?

rumbler

Newly Enlightened
Is it confirmed that the V4 is less throwy than V3?
No V4 reviews yet?:poke:
That would be great for me as I just ordered M1x V4 and wanted wider hotspot.
Rumbler

357mag1

Enlightened
Is it confirmed that the V4 is less throwy than V3?
No V4 reviews yet?:poke:
That would be great for me as I just ordered M1x V4 and wanted wider hotspot.
Rumbler

Rumbler,

It is confirmed so you have your wish. Now it is like buying a TK40 put maybe a little brighter. My M1X V4 died before I could do a thorough comparison of the two.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure v3 to v4 was just a color change... would that make this v5?

This news is disappointing. My v2 (same as v4) easily out-throws the TK30, which I hear is about as bright as the TK40. So the new version throws less.

I can't help but wonder why they turned down this excellent searchlight. Maybe to make the beam smoother? Does this version have a donut hole? If that is the reason, I can't help but wonder why, as the M2S fills that category already.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short of using accurate light measuring equipment to measure differences, my eyes could not see any difference in throw or output between the v4 and previous version. I don't understand why Jetbeam would state that the v4 is brighter than the previous version when the v4 is also rated as 700lumens like the original version. All versions of the M1X have a pronounced doughnut hole in their white wall beam profile, which disappears when used outdoors like the manufacturer intended.

I also don't understand why its a v4 when there was only ONE previous version of the M1X that I was aware of???

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also don't understand why its a v4 when there was only ONE previous version of the M1X that I was aware of???

IIRC...

It isn't JETBeam that is assigning version numbers, but dealers and users, in order to keep track of changes that JETBeam is not advertising (which is why I think we should call this one v5, not "the new v4"). v1 was the original... v2 updated the electronics, and maybe other key components - it was brighter and better. v3 changed the ano color to olive green, and v4 changed the ano color to natural. v2 was natural, and v3 and v4 had no other changes, so v2 = v4 ~= v3.

I agree that v3 and v4 did not warrant their own versions, but this new one certainly does.

Last edited: