Fenix LD20 - "Brain" Issues

cmiller683

Newly Enlightened
So I purchased a new Fenix LD20 this past May, 2009. It has been my EDC light ever since, and I've been pleased. In the past month, I have started having issues with the light.

In the middle of using the light one day, it just turned off. No rhyme or reason. I clicked it a few times and it came back on. A while later, the modes started to malfunction. Instead of going into low mode, it would go directly into high, and stay there until I click over to SOS. Weeks later, on a hike, the light died altogether. Just wouldn't function.

I took the light apart and cleaned it. Swapped out the batteries. Took apart and cleaned the tail-cap. Still had the same problem. I took the tail-cap off, and tried to run the light with a paper clip as a means to close the circuit. At first, it worked. But when I tried it a few days later, it was not functioning properly.

So this leaves me to believe the tail-cap is intact and functioning properly, and that it is the "brain" of the light that is malfunctioning.

I have contacted Fenix and am waiting to hear back. My biggest concern is what caused this issue? It is extremely important to me that I have a dependable light that I can place my trust in. I understand it is difficult to speculate without putting your hands on the light, but still would appreciate any input.

Also, has anyone else had this problem, or heard of this problem?

Thanks in advance,

CMiller

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIovPVuBHYc

This was years ago, with the predecessor of LD20, the same thing. I think it was called L2D. The engine failed out apparently and it went into this Morse-code mode, flashing like mad in a strange unpredictable pattern.
A new tailcap did not fix it.
I cannot believe that 2 years later, they still haven't fixed this obvious design flaw. Other words I want to say are unprintable.

One reason why I never touch digital multi mode lites anymore.

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to highjack the thread but would the quark aa2 or the tk20 have this problem?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot believe that 2 years later, they still haven't fixed this obvious design flaw. Other words I want to say are unprintable.

I've been using my Fenix LD20 almost daily since I got it Christmas 2009. So far I have had absolutely *zero* problems with it - none.

"Design flaw?" None whatsoever based on my personal experience with the LD20. But what do I know anyway? I just own and use the light in question on a daily basis.

kts

Enlightened

Sorry, you got a lemon, but that isnt a design flaw, I have owned 4 Fenix L2D and they all work perfect to this day, the oldest must be more than 3 years old, in fact I own more than 10 Fenix lights, not a glitch yet. :thumbsup:

cmiller683

Newly Enlightened
I recently heard back from Fenix on the issue, and have good news. Sounds like my assumption was right that the brain is failing. The rep asked me to ship it in to them so they can send me a replacement. I also asked if they have had other problems with this. He claims this is a very rare occurence. I'm hoping after a little investigation Fenix will be able to tell me more.

I have used this light daily for nearly a year now, and have been quite pleased up until now. It has been utterly reliable until the brain started to fail, and to be honest, it has been pretty abused. On one occasion I accidentally chucked it across a parking lot into a curb, with no issues. So I'm thinking this was just a fluke.

For future reference, always carry a backup....like maybe the LD10 haha

CMiller