Name some top-quality flashlights...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian321

Enlightened
What do you guys think are some good quality flashlights? Is Jetbeam up there in quality?

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is the order of quality flashlights?

Totally un-answerable question... Everyone here will have opinions based upon what they've experienced/what other's have experienced/opinions on origin countries. We had a similar thread awhile ago, and it didn't end well... And neither will this one...

These type of vague, opinion based threads all end up as bash-fests for trolls and strongly opinionated persons. Truthfully, I would ask a mod to close the thread before we see the worst side of CPF...

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

there are no quantifiable measurements for quality.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

you need to specifically define quality criteria first in order to rank products for it.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

you need to specifically define quality criteria first in order to rank products for it.

Exactly. Even with categories like build quality, durability, etc, there will be differing opinions on what constitutes better and even then we will have to come up with a quantifiable standard for those categories. It's a very tricky question and one that is certain to start an unproductive argument.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Hello Brian321 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

:welcome:

May i suggest . . . .

in an effort to salvage this thread --

we change the Question to:

Name some Top-Quality flashlights

I would then answer, in no particular order,

LiteFlux LF5XT
4Sevens Quark
Olight M20

I'm only listing lights which i personally own.

Hope this is helpful.

:candle:
_

Brian321

Enlightened

Hello Brian321 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

:welcome:

May i suggest . . . .

in an effort to salvage this thread --

we change the Question to:

Name some Top-Quality flashlights

I would then answer, in no particular order,

LiteFlux LF5XT
4Sevens Quark
Olight M20

I'm only listing lights which i personally own.

Hope this is helpful.

:candle:
_

Good idea i will do that.

I completely edited it.

Last edited:

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
I own a variety of lights, these 3 stand up to the most abuse for me, Jetbeam, Fenix, NiteCore and Surefire. I have used these lights for years and had no problems, and I have multiple from all companies listed. I used my Jet III Pro as a back up night diving off the FL Keys. I had to test it deeper lol 43 ft I think was the deepest I had it

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys think are some good quality flashlights? Is Jetbeam up there in quality?

Thanks,
Brian

JetBeam, Fenix, 4Sevens, Surefire, Novatac, Lumapower... they´re all fine!

:thumbsup:

(not in this particular order, hehe...)

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen Ra mentioned yet so I'll throw that in. Very well made and very deliberately made lights. No trend chasing or gimmicks.

McGizmo is always worth mentioning again, but the initial buy in is steeeeep.

I have never owned or seen a Jetbeam in person, but from what I have read (quite a lot) they are well made lights, especially for the money. They are consistently rated as some of the best Chinese made lights. Unless you have a very specialized need like diving, a Jetbeam will do just fine.

boloson

Newly Enlightened
cant speak highly enough of the jeatbeam III M. thanks to selfbuilts reviews. IT IS AWESOME

McAllan

Enlightened
WiseLED to name one that has not been mentioned.
A bit expensive for me though so unfortunately I don't own one (at least yet).

Other wise as others say it really depends on how you define quality. Is quality a light that can really take some beating or is it having the best electronics (yup, that can be designed for very long lasting too) the nicest finishing of the case or what is it? In some way the Fenixes and Quarks wins in others the WiseLEDs and SureFires etc.
Or do you look at price alone? Then sure lights as WiseLED and GatLights (to me that name sound a bit vulgar) are at the top.

BeeMan458

Banned
Is Jetbeam up there in quality?

http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/default.aspx

You decide.

:naughty:

I'm a noob to both high-end flashlights and this forum. But I have a brain that works and can read and synergistically understand what I'm reading; a dangerous combination.

:thinking:

Being a noob is an advantage in that you're not caught up in the mystique, glitz or glamor of the whole flashlight thingy. My conclusions, based on comments and the wonderfully in-depth reviews posted in this forum, "FOR MY PURPOSES", for many different reasons, the JetBeam comes out on top.

:thumbsup:

My philosophy, don't over think it by losing contact with the ball; the act of simply finding a flashlight that works for you. Also, don't get caught up in the minutia or esoteric; wax candle Vs a generator driven search light.

My conclusions as to purchasing, based upon reading the many extensive reviews posted as well as the many user comments? I purchased four JetBeam flashlights plus a boatload of support gear (batteries, cases and chargers) to service my flashlight needs. I also see a fifth and final light in my very near future. Doing this gives me a "useful" range. I find, that for my purposes, I actually "need" four lights. One was purchased out of ignorance; part of the learning curve.

:ohgeez:

I found the Raptor series serves "my" needs best. This is due to the clean user interface (selection ring), style, build quality, throw and available multiple battery choice options. My overall flashlight conclusions below:

First, does it pass my son's simple smell test; "That's stupid!"

Sample distances? That ain't a hundred or two hundred yards! Get a tape if you don't believe me.

How will you "really" use the flashlight?

What will be your "true" working distance?

"No" flashlight works, for all distances.

"No" single flashlight works, for all lighting needs or conditions.

"Quality" is always money well spent.

Spouses "don't" understand, so just grow a pair and do it.

"Don't" fall in love with your flashlight, it's a tool to be used, not loved.

"No" flashlight works, if you don't have it in your hand.

I "need" (not want) a work related flashlight (that I can use at home) which works for a given distance, doesn't fail me at the edges of my given distance, fills in the deep shadows, yet isn't so bright the beam burns a hole in what you're looking at with it's hot spot; thrower vs flooder. An overpowered or underpowered light, for the distance, effectively ruins the joy of it's usefulness. We have different hammers, screwdrivers and pliers, so I don't see a need to try and find a one-size fits all flashlight. In truth, if you're in it for just a flashlight and not in it for the collecting, bragging or hobby aspects, it boils down to how much money can you throw at the project; the act of buying a flashlight (or several flashlights) to service your flashlight needs. I have to say, this is a good time to be buying flashlights as the era of quality flashlights has begun; matured industry.

If I were to buy a single flashlight and call it a day, I'd recommend the RRT-2, plus rechargeable batteries and a quality carry case. No junk allowed.

If I were to buy only two lights, I'd buy the yet to be released RRT-3 or a M2S and a RRT-0. YMMV as it all depends on what your lighting needs are and the size of your lighting budget.

Now if I were to buy three lights.....

:naughty:

(The above comments are all my personally biased opinions, based upon what I've read on the pages of this forum and my limited personal high-end flashlight experience.)

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Surefire is ranked pretty high up there. But, I am not sure if this is because of North American's preconceived notion that American products are necessarily better and more reliable than Asian made products. Or it could be the hype associated with marketing (Our lights are used by the FBI and US Marshalls, and LEOs across the nation). Just because a brand was used by the FBI, does not necessitate that any other brand is inferior. Not trying to bash Surefire, it is actually on my shortlist along with brands like JetBeam and Fenix and Olight.

Quite frankly, the durability of JetBeam or Fenix, could well be on par with Surefire, without being as expensive. A second preconceived notion is that something necessarily is better if it is more expensive. However, this does not take into account the economics of production, standard wages, and proximity to other nations with electronic components manufacturing and exporting. It could just be cheaper for Asian countries, like China to acquire parts from neighbouring electronic manufacturing nations.

In the end, if you spend $200 to buy a Surefire, you can expect the same quality, durability, and reliability as any $80 JetBeam, Fenix, or Olight. However, if you have money to spend, why not buy a Surefire AND a JetBeam, Fenix, or Olight.

I like Surefire (partially because I am brainwashed by the hype-FBI, US Marshalls, etc. and can kinda "show off" to friends-"yep, the FBI uses them," etc.) and I also like JetBeam and Olight for the same reason: hype and marketing-I've seen some pretty cool testing videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AirsoftPortal2010#p/a/u/1/xX7Lwkdka-8

Status
Not open for further replies.