Low voltage/Warm nightlight

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I have a Xantrex Powersource Mobile 100 and I just got this cool little nightlight that draws about 10mAh. I plugged it in and it worked! But after about 10 minutes the little nightnight was really warm around the base (where it plugs into the Xantrex unit). I tested its voltage and it was 118.5VAC. I put the nightlight into a normal outlet, waited 10 minutes, and felt the base. Cool to the touch. The outlets voltage was 122.7VAC. Why is this happening? Thanks!

cistallus

Enlightened
The power converter's specs say it puts out a "modified sine wave". That could mean anything. The circuitry in some devices will work inefficiently on a poor AC waveform, this could be the case with your nighlight, causing heating.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
This isn't the first time the Xantrex has done this. I got a sweet little LED light bulb from Mal-Wart for only $4 that ran at 1w. After about 10 minutes, the light stopped working. Purchased another LED lamp, repeated, and that one went out too! I will occasionally charge 18650 cells with the WF-139 charger with the Xantrex. Now I am worried about my 18650 cells.