Fenix LD10 XP-G or XR-E?

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Hi there,

I'd start with the typical "I've been lurking, I'm now posting" but you've probably all seen that too many times so I'll spare you with that so I can hopefully come up with an insightful and useful answer with which I will be able to base my purchase upon.

I will say how useful (also very confusing) this site can be and I thank you all in advance for the sheer amount of time and dedication that some folks have put in just so people can have the info on the best light for their needs.

OK to stop myself from rambling I'll just get on with my query, I also ask that any one with recommendations pertaining to another model or manufacturer to stay out of this for the purpose of not confusing me more. I'm quite aware of the function of the Fenix and various other lights.

I've noticed there are two models of LD10 currently listed on the Fenix website, they are the XR-E (Q5, 120 lumens) and the XP-G (R4, 132 lumens).
I'm assuming from what I've read that the XP-G model is the newer of the two and that the method of rating lumens **MAY** be different to the XR-E model so the increase of 12 lumens on paper may be more in real life.

I read somewhere on here that the new XP-G equipped LD10 have the rated lumens as OTF and was wondering if anyone knows if this was the case for the XR-E models also?

I'm also interested as to what the beam profiles are like between the two models if anyone has been able to compare the two?

One other thing which got me interested in this model was the ability for the body to be swapped for different batteries. I've read so many different opinions on this and I just want a definite answer (I may have to contact fenix). I know you can swap bodies to use different batteries but I've read of people saying their PD20 body wont fit or something and I concluded this was due to the new design with the knurled head having different threads.
Can the XP-G model swap it's body out for the PD20 body (similar head shape, not the new knurled one) and have a CR123 torch?

Basically, as my name implies, I live in Australia, so finding a place to buy this torch has been quite difficult. I have found a few places (legear.com.au and ledtorches.com.au) that have the XR-E model but neither (currently waiting on clarification from legear if they have the XP-G model as their site is misleading) have the R4 version. I basically have to order from overseas or from ebay if I want the XP-G it seems.

So if anybody knows a decent Australian site could they let me know, also I'm after recommendations from anyone who has ordered from a site like batteryjunction, 4sevens, etc that they would recommend for international shipping.

OK, I've just rambled a bit I think, so I'll sum it up here in quick to read and reply to format.

1. Does the XR-E and XP-G both advertise OTF lumens or just the XP-G?
  2. Anyone with both, or who've used both, which would you recommend/what characteristics does one do better than the other? ie. has the XR-E got more throw but less spill than the XP-G?
  3. What bodies can the LD10 XP-G mate to, is this body different to the XR-E's?
  4. INTERNATIONAL ordering, anyone got a site they can recommend from first hand experience? (Please list your country and time it took for delivery)
  5. Is there an Aussie source I've not listed above?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check out Bigchelis' thread about his measurements using a 10.5 inch sphere, he measured an LD10 with the Cree XR-E LED. I don't remember what those measurements were but if you go back to that thread and compare his measurements to what's listed on the Fenix website for the LD10, you'll get part of your answer. I'm pretty sure that Fenix uses at the emitter readings based on Bigchelis' measurements of my TK40.

I'm coming to the conclusion that lumen ratings aren't really that much of a big deal any more to me. My eyes generally cannot tell the difference between lumen differences very well. Outdoors in real-world use, that applies even more.

For me, the beam pattern is much more important than all out lumen ratings. Throw distance, flood versus throw, etcetera are more important in my flashlight criteria since I've gained more exposure to different lights. Note that in general XR-Es throw further than XP-Gs. That has been reported to be the case with the LD20 with the XR-E compared to the one with the XP-G even though the newer XP-G is a little brighter.

...just food for thought. :)

Last edited:

AmperSand

Enlightened
You could also check out www.torchworld.com.au
They had LD20 R4's in stock not that long ago, but appear to have sold out. Still have an LD10 Q5 in stock at the moment by the look of it also. Also seem to have a largish range of accessories including spare bodies too.

Might be worth a look.

Also, I have purchased off both www.torchworld.com.au and www.ledtorches.com.au and was extremely pleased with their service.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bring this thread up again but I was looking at the LD10 Xr-e because it is $43 shipped.

Is the xr-e a downgrade from xp-g r4?

Is the new ld10 rated at otf lumens while the old one is not? That would make the xp-g much brighter than the xr-e.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to bring this thread up again but I was looking at the LD10 Xr-e because it is $43 shipped.

Is the xr-e a downgrade from xp-g r4?

Is the new ld10 rated at otf lumens while the old one is not? That would make the xp-g much brighter than the xr-e.

I don't have any knowledge regarding how they are rated. I wouldn't consider the XR-E to be a downgrade however it is the older emitter and it is less efficient and can't be driven as hard as the XP-G.

In most cases the XP-G will put out more lumens with a larger hotspot and the transition to spill will be smoother.

The XP-E hotspot will be slightly brighter and smaller and will throw further.

It really depends on how you will use the light more/most of the time.

Neither of these emitters are the best bin's available. The XR-E Q5 bin could/should be R2 and the XP-G R4 could/should be R5.

fannin

Enlightened
i have not got an ld10 but have both ld20's (my q5= newer version with clip so it's a good comparison)

the q5 is a lot warmer than the r4 which is more of a pure white, leaning towards cool

they both throw a similar distance with the older q5 possibly throwing slightly further but hardly any difference at all in throw

the r4 is quite a bit floodier so probably puts out more light

the r4 has improved runtime, running for a few minutes longer on fresh eneloops than the q5 which still has outstanding runtime compared to the competition.

i would say if you want a warmer light go for q5 because there is not that much difference in output, if you like cooler white go for r4.

both outstanding lights

i just remembered that my friend has the ld10 q5 and hers is significantly cooler than all the q5 ld20's i've seen

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
i have not got an ld10 but have both ld20's (my q5= newer version with clip so it's a good comparison)

the q5 is a lot warmer than the r4 which is more of a pure white, leaning towards cool

they both throw a similar distance with the older q5 possibly throwing slightly further but hardly any difference at all in throw

the r4 is quite a bit floodier so probably puts out more light

the r4 has improved runtime, running for a few minutes longer on fresh eneloops than the q5 which still has outstanding runtime compared to the competition.

i would say if you want a warmer light go for q5 because there is not that much difference in output, if you like cooler white go for r4.

both outstanding lights

i just remembered that my friend has the ld10 q5 and hers is significantly cooler than all the q5 ld20's i've seen

So the ld10 q5 xr-e may be much cooler than the xp-g r4 for a ld10? I like the cooler white better than the neutral.

Thanks!

fannin

Enlightened
So the ld10 q5 xr-e may be much cooler than the xp-g r4 for a ld10? I like the cooler white better than the neutral.

Thanks!
all i can say for sure is that the 2 ld20 q5's i had were relatively warm, the 1 ld10 q5 i've seen was cooler and the ld20 r4 was (probably, didn't compare ld10 q5 and ld20 r4) cooler again and that if i wanted a cool light i would go for r4.

you may get one totally different to what i've seen but i would expect you to be happy with either