The future of moble telecommunications?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a phone that has a LED projector in it...so you can throw up you desktop...or a movie on a wall, for example. I also see many companies share prices are still low. Where do you see the future of mobile telecommunications going?

My crystal ball say`s...it will be huge...still a lot of room for growth :rolleyes:. What do you think...invest or ???

mrartillery

Enlightened
I've seen that phone, although I don't really understand the purpose of having a projector on it, seems like more of a novelty or something that I would literally never use. Although, before I got my Blackberry I always said, "why would anyone want internet on their phone?" I guess I see now. :rolleyes:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
My iphone does a decent job of playing movies that I've downloaded. It would be nice to see my movies in a decent size when away from home.

Not that I waste that much time on watching movies on a cell phone.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think that Picoprojectors are still primarily a novelty item right now. They don't produce a viewing experience any larger than having a few people sit around your laptop watching the screen directly. And I suspect that Ipad-like devices will grab a share of the market that would've been picked up by those projectors. We're going to need some major breakthroughs in LED efficiency before the Picoprojectors can put on a decent sized show.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Personally I don't see that a projector on a phone really adds much to the field of mobile telecommunications.
All the features that are added to a phone other than Internet, email, text and voice calls, don't seem to fit into the telecommunications heading, they might be fun to have but don't help you to communicate. :poke:
Norm

DM51

Flashaholic
Any projector that could display something visible in daylight would require a lot of power - and that would deplete the power supply of any small mobile device quite quickly.

Until there is another significant breakthrough in battery technology, I doubt small projectors will have any serious application other than in head-up display technology.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint, did an interview a while back and was talking up ubiquitous wifi quite a bit. Having it built into cars and maybe even increasing to the point where you can interact with your appliances at home. Even finding out the contents of your fridge if you were shopping for example. Forget to turn on the crock pot? Not a problem.