Going on a trip, which FiveMega Lego?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going out of state on a flight to buy a car about 1000 miles from me and driving it back. The vehicle seems to be in A1 shape but you never know.

That plus whatever other emergencies might come up. TSHTF is kind of cool just not during my trip. I want to take minimum stuff with me, no luggage.

Trying to pick a FiveMega Lego to take with me. It has to be cool with the airport people.

My choice is:

Leef 4x123 with Malkoff M60

FiveMega 9P clone with Malkoff M60LL

FiveMega 6P clone with Malkoff M60L

FiveMega 6P clone with Malkoff M60LL

I am taking my Garmin GPS that runs on 2xAA, currently has Lithums for 24 hours of runtime.

I am kind of inclined towards the lite I use least often, the FM 9P clone with M60LL. Then I could use either 123s or AAs. I think the runtime is supposed to be 8 hours.

I want to take maybe 8x123 and maybe 8xAA Lithiums.

The Leef 4x123 is cool but I am afraid I will have it confiscated due to length, possible? Could they say it can be used as a weapon? What worries me is that while very bright, it might have insufficient runtime in a real emergency. I think I would get 3 hours on a set of cells.

My current EDC, the FM 6P clone with M60L and 1x18650 is very temping but I would rather load it with 123s for any real life scenarios.

The FiveMega 3xAA clone, loading with L91s is also pretty temping but will they let me take it on a plane??

malkoff_all7.jpg

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
good choice on the FM 9P clone with M60LL....

then get a 6P body with the striongest module you have and you are GTG

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the problem, the strongest M60 module will be a drain and I don't have the luxury of unlimited rechargeables or even many spares. I am limited due to this travel with a little backpack. They have a limit on how many Lith cells you can take with you on a plane.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thought you would get the strong module for when need be.....and as a backup....

and backup in power with NiMH or even quality alkalines

say... there was a thread on running the M60 with AAs as a low voltage/output option.....

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P+M60L is the more general purpose combo that can deal with the broadest set of situations. I say go with that.So big output with good runtime, standard size (not too big, not to small).The idea to combine AA's with M60 is suspect, you need the M30 to go with the AA's. So then your worry about not being able to take enough 123's on the plane with you applies just as much to the other combos as it does to the 6P.Check again the regs - maybe I misunderstood, but if you take them in a sealed plastic container, isn't it OK to have more than 2? Even if you cannot, then just take 2 extra (sealed) plus 2 in the tube and you should have enough runtime for most of the trip back.Also, for another possibility, take a second flashlight with you that can take 2-3 more 123's and then you have more than enough for the trip. (again, if I understand the regs correctly, which I may not, you can take extras if they are in the flashlight tube).

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this impression too....

how about 2 romisen RC-N3 (DX basic version), Use them as AA lithium carriers (in carry ons or checked in baggage), then load them with alkalines as loaners for the camp mates

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the FM 9P clone with M60LL. Since you are most familiar with the light and for it's versatility in batteries. However, if I were you, I would also bring some sort of flood light in a headlamp (Like a Zebralight H30). I feel this is more critical in your situation. This will be very handy for up close work where you need both hands to do a tire change or work under the hood.

cityevader

Enlightened
Perspective from a mechanic:

If youi'll be doing any sort of inspecting of the car, bring the brightest incan you've got.

Chances are, it'll be outside/bright ambient light. You'll need to not only overpower that, but also have great color rendition. (Is that fluid leak clear or slightly amber, brown or red?

Especially if looking underneath the vehicle, as the background will be intensely brighter.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense: Brightest

I don't really have an incan, but will have to improvise. He says there are no leaks, new tranny, differential, all new seals... etc.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60L with the 9P clone. Good all around output with a fairly tight beam and some killer runtime.

2nd would be the M60LL with 9P. I'm thinking you would not need a change of batteries with this setup