Royal Navy to the Rescue

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Just head on the radio this morning- the Royal Navy is being called into action and has been tasked with sending three ships to France and as far away as Spain. Also heard rumors of flights of stranded British Citizens her in North America may be routed to Madrid for similar Maritime extraction/reinsertion home. Yet another reason some of the aged cruise ships should not be retired too soon- they could be used just for this reason.:thinking:

Two ships, the HSM Ocean and HMS Ark Royal, are getting sent across the Channel to France. A third ship is getting sent to Spain to pick up a unit of soldiers coming back from Afghanistan. The British government is currently negotiating with Spain to try and get more of its tourists flown to Spain to make the boat trip back. While airports have mostly been closed, there have been limited windows for flights in and out.

Don't tell the Kraken......:sssh:

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, I thought there was a very handy tunnel now running from France to the UK? Also, are there not ferry boats that cover similar routes?

It seems like the greater need is running trans Atlantic.

Niconical

Enlightened
For some reason, I thought there was a very handy tunnel now running from France to the UK? Also, are there not ferry boats that cover similar routes?

It seems like the greater need is running trans Atlantic.

It's just a question of capacity.
I can't imagine what the queues are like at the ferry ports right now, must be crazy :(

Niconical

Enlightened
Ferries. Fine.
Tunnel. Whatever.
Warships. Meh.

The most important and as yet not discussed point is, will my normally predicatable priority flat rate arrive tomorrow from ElectronGuru?

Oh well, fingers crossed......

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Going old school.

Back to the days of Frigates, Schooners, & Warships, Oh My!

:crackup:And the Pirate situation off the Horn..... Where is Errol Flyn when you need him?:popcorn:
Swashbucklers, Soldiers and Drunken Ne'er-do-Wells, Oh My!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
:crackup:And the Pirate situation off the Horn..... Where is Errol Flyn when you need him?:popcorn:
Swashbucklers, Soldiers and Drunken Ne'er-do-Wells, Oh My!

I just hope there are no Argentinian ships about. The HMS Sheffield didn't fare too well back in the Falklands War. :tinfoil:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
I just hope there are no Argentinian ships about. The HMS Sheffield didn't fare too well back in the Falklands War. :tinfoil:

Good point...that's prob. why the US Navy pulled out all vessels within a 100 nautical mile radius of Syria prior to the Israeli AF taking out the Syrian Reactor near the Euphrates in 07.
Don't want another USS Liberty Incident.:tinfoil:

oh yeah- and darn those Exocets......

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall (without checking Wiki) the Sheffield was hit by fighter fired Exocets. Another reason you shouldn't have a Navy if your CAP is being run by such a retarded aircraft as Sea Harriers.

Nah, the Iranians do more damage by putting civilian aircraft transponders onboard their F-14s to confuse guided missle cruisers. Ooops.....

After 9-11 with civilian aircraft grounded meteorologists actually detected a change is ground temp due to the lack of high level contrails formed by jet engine exhausts. Curious if the same thing is being reported in Europe.

Tuikku

Enlightened
After 9-11 with civilian aircraft grounded meteorologists actually detected a change is ground temp due to the lack of high level contrails formed by jet engine exhausts. Curious if the same thing is being reported in Europe.

I was thinking about the same thing, but now theres some other stuff up there, if not jet engine exhaust :grin2: