Which wireless card for my laptop?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally decided to give DSL a try and the service came with a 2Wire wireless gateway.
I'm looking for a wireless PC card and want to know who to avoid.
Seems like D-Link and LinkSys are not recommended for their routers but how are their cards?

was_jlh

Enlightened
GJW, I would recommend an Orinoco or Avaya or Agere. Get one with an external antenna connection.

These are good folks to deal with, IMHO, no connection.

http://fab-corp.com/

Joe

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've just got 'b' equiptment and, even though it's a battery sucker, I went with an Oronoco Gold (Actually a Oronogo Gold rebranded into a Dell) works like a champ.

For my PDA I just got whatever was cheap at the time, which happened to be a Sony Clie wireless card. This is Compact Flash though, not PCMIA

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 802.11b wireless network system that I use with my laptop. I have an Intel card, that came pre-installed in my laptop. Works flawlessly.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Geoff, I prefer Kismet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe

iddibhai

Enlightened
proxim, formerly agere orinoco, formerly lucent. anything they make, good stuff, good support. i have 3 of their silver (64bit encryption) cards, the best at their time in range due to 5v (others were 3.3v).

tech

Newly Enlightened
Never had a problem with my Linksys wireless router at home. Wife and I connect with our laptops, and our guest computer in the basement...so I'd go with price...
Check PCMag for reviews as well...
T.