MY LX OUTSHINES P60?

DA FACTS

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I recently purchased a Brinkmann Lx and was impressed with its brightness, size, and focus of the hotspot. This was my first cr123 cell flashlight so I was convinced that a Surefire P60 lamp would even be better. I bought a new SF G2 with both the P60 and P61 lamps. I used a new lot of surfire batteries and did a simple turn off the lights in the house and go by my own opinion. Well, it appears to me that the LX has a brighter and better focused hotspot than my P60 and its almost as bright as my P61. The P61 has a larger hotspot but the LX is close.

My question is: Did I get an excellent LX and a mediocre G2 or is it true that the $19 Brinkmann has a beam quality and brightness better than a P60 lamp.

I really like the G2 but the LX spanks my E2E elite and just barely beats my G2 with the P60.

I also did outside test and the LX throws further too. Whats up?

Don't get me wrong. I think the Surefires are way better in the quality of the housing but I don't see better in the actual beam.

Any opinions,

Thanks

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the LX is brighter then my E2 but the E2 has a smoother, rounder beam. The LX is a bit blotchy by comparison.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you answered your own question.
smile.gif

The Legend LX is a good light. The Surefire you have is more durable and has a better on/off switch. But bulb assemblies in both lights are just as fragile, unless you buy the M2 or a shock isolated bezel. The LX properly focused will give a nice round beam and is brighter because it is a higher wattage (just slightly) than a P60.

Your P61 will put out a little more light with a larger (and more round) hotspot.

There is nothing wrong with either one of your lights. Surefire does give you options your LX doesn't have, like the P61, pyrex lens (optional with the G2), beamshaper, colored filters, etc. If none of that is necessary for you then the LX is a great option. You just have to buy what works for you. Just remember that more expensive does not always equal brighter.
wink.gif

The most competitive range of lithium flashlights is the 2x123 range:

UKE 2L (~2 watt bulb)
Legend LX
Streamlight Scorpion
Surefire E2(e) (LOLA optional)
Surefire D2, G2(z), Z2, 6P, C2 & M2 that use a P60 & P61
And I'm sure there's a few I missed

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several folks have found that the LX on new batteries and focused down is brighter than the P60 module on new batteries. This is because the LX can be focused to a tighter spot than the P60 produces.

They both have the same runtime on the same batteries, so they're actually producing about the same amount of light overall - it's the focus that makes the difference.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...is it true that the $19 Brinkmann has a beam quality and brightness better than a P60 lamp."
It depends on what you consider "better." I'm about to drop the Surefire M2 from my EDC inventory. The dimensions and profile are just too difficult to live with. The M2 is the Legend LX of that product line in terms of external dimensions.

The Legend LX's ouput can be focused so that it is brighter than the Surefire P60 lamp. With this function, it provides more "throw."

Interesting that this product is also still getting the attention more than a year after I introduced it to this board. I have not used the 2 that I own in over 6 months.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to our local Walmart to get 10+ D cells and 2 Legend LX lights. Well they only had one left. I thought it was better that way, in case I was less than thrilled with it.

Thrilled doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this light. It is my first 123 based incandescant light. I think Brinkmann thought this one out very carefully, particularly where the focus is concerned. Though the head turns easily, it doesn't go out of focus quickly.

A friend came over Wednesday evening and I managed to impress him with it. I just handed it to him and he pointed it towards his face. I warned him to not look at it, so he pointed it at his hand and turned it on. His reaction is in the priceless category: WOW!!!

We got thinking about how to carry it. Since I have a couple of Rebels (combo kit), I though just maybe we could swap the rubber unit on the bezels. I did a quick comparison and found it was feasable. It works just fine and is easy to change them. Just unscrew the bezel caps on both, slide off the rubber, swap, screw the bezel caps back on.

The color filters for the Rebel are just a wee bit too big for the LX head, but you gain a belt clip and hanger for the LX. Now all I need to do, is get extra bulbs and batteries.
wink.gif

SuRgE

Enlightened
Charles,

I'm glad you like your LX. I love mine. It doesn't replace my Surefires but Its probally the best darn torch for under $20.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have news on the LX! I called Brinkmann to order 6 bulbs for it and talked about methods to carry it. Mentioned the thing I did swapping the rubber on the heads rebel - LX. Jeff at Cust. Service told me that they are working on this, including color filters. I suggested that maybe some sort of pouch for the LX, plus 2 sets of batteries and a couple of extra bulbs would be perfect. He agreed on this.

Jeff told me that the Accessory pack will be out 'soon', but not how soon. He also told me that they consider the LX a new product, even though it is getting towards 1 year on market.

That is the news for the day.
grin.gif

Surge: It is the price of the Surefires that scares me away.
wink.gif