need Help choosing a flashlight (ATM T20C2 vs DBS v3)

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened
I have looked everywhere for my old post but I can t find it. I've contacted an admin, no response, I guess I'll just make another post.

I've managed to find my old post in google's cache so I'll continue from there.

Thank you for ur anwers

Is Surefire the only brand having a lifetime warranty ?
@ugly_giddy I'm in Europe, is it a problem for Surefire's warranty ?

I dont think I'll buy another flashlight after that, at least for a time, I'm a minimalist. That's why I dont hesitate in paying extra bucks but I need an all around light in terms of throw, regulation and run time.

In fact, I dont really care of the batteries, aa 123 or whatever, as long as there is a charger and I dont need to buy new batteries on internet each time I run out of power.

thanks for your help
lutin

Last edited:

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Re: Again, general usage flashlight

If you're considering Surefire, then you should also check out HDS flashlights. They also have a lifetime warranty and they are built like a tank. Plus they work better with rechargeable batteries because they are actually designed to work with both rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries. HDS flashlights are available with either a "narrow beam" or a "wide beam" LED emitter. The "narrow beam" option is made for maximum throw. The "wide beam" option gives you a nice all-purpose beam pattern that works well for up-close illumination and still offers pretty good throw as well.

Here's the HDS website.

There are also some European stores that sell some of the HDS models online, but I do not remember the names of these stores.

HIDblue

Enlightened

Pelican also has a Lifetime Warranty on their flashlights as well. :thumbsup:

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

thank you, I ll check on these, do you have one particular model in each brand to advise?

rider

Newly Enlightened

If you're considering Surefire, then you should also check out HDS flashlights. They also have a lifetime warranty and they are built like a tank. Plus they work better with rechargeable batteries because they are actually designed to work with both rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries. HDS flashlights are available with either a "narrow beam" or a "wide beam" LED emitter. The "narrow beam" option is made for maximum throw. The "wide beam" option gives you a nice all-purpose beam pattern that works well for up-close illumination and still offers pretty good throw as well.

Here's the HDS website.

There are also some European stores that sell some of the HDS models online, but I do not remember the names of these stores.

Two of my favorite things about HDS / Ra Lights are that they _really_ stand behind that Lifetime Warranty, but the lights are built so well that you'll likely never need it.

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

Here are my choices for now :
Surefire LX2
Quark AA2
Fenix LD20 / TK11
Ra ?
Pelican ?

AusKipper

Enlightened

Quark will give you 10 years, which while not "lifetime" its still decent.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

You mention re-charge capabilities as a priority. Research the SF-LX2 and Pelican models carefully... I am not sure how well they run off 17670 or 2xRCR123 (if at all).

RCR123 cells are NOT inter-changeable with CR123. Using RCR123 cells in a light thats not intended for them can damage the light.

GunnarGG

Enlightened

If you want to take look at the Ra torches on a European site you can find it here:
http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/torch-brands/ra-clicky-torches.html

If you google Surefire you can find sevaral places to buy it, I looked for it in UK and Germany and got many hits.

About warranty it might be best to ask Surefire, USA how it works if you by it in Europe.

ugly_giddy

Newly Enlightened

Is Surefire the only brand having a lifetime warranty ?
@ugly_giddy I'm in Europe, is it a problem for Surefire's warranty ?

i havent had any dealings with surefire yet. for what ive read around here, they have a limetime warranty on their lights. i dont think youll have a problem. better ring them up to make sure.

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

The re charge ability is needed only if the batteries are rare, I dumno if I can find CR123 in every supermarket, if its the case then I dont care.

For the Ra, the lumens are kinda low (I know its not everything but I want a powerfull light at least in turbo mode) and I dont really like the adjustable levels ... A very low mode for reading, one for general usage, and the last for emergency / blinding thats enough.

@AusKipper : sure, 10 years is enough, but I ve heard bad things about quarks like "pre flash" and comparatives vs Fenix LD20 leaning toward the fenix

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

EagleTac also has a lifetime warranty. I got a card with my new EagleTac that says to go to eagletac.com/guarantee but of course that link does not work. They have one of the worst web pages I've seen. I found this but not on their page "Eagletac warrants our flashlights to be free from defective workmanship and material for the lifetime of the light in the possession of the original owner. We will repair, replace, or refund your original purchase price if the light is determined by us to be defective."

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

EagleTac also has a lifetime warranty. I got a card with my new EagleTac that says to go to eagletac.com/guarantee but of course that link does not work. They have one of the worst web pages I've seen. I found this but not on their page "Eagletac warrants our flashlights to be free from defective workmanship and material for the lifetime of the light in the possession of the original owner. We will repair, replace, or refund your original purchase price if the light is determined by us to be defective."

do you have one particular model in mind that yould fit my needs ?

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened

Duracell Daylites have a lifetime guarantee, and are available now in the UK in all sizes (although I don't see the CR123 version on the Amazon UK website). The CR123, D cell and C cell models are 160 lumens, with the C cells being the most popular size. The AA and AAA cell models are all 80 lumens, with the AAA size being the most popular. I can speak for the CR123 model's ability to use RCR123's, they work well.

Wow, these lights cost A LOT more in the UK. You might do better to buy them on Amazon (U.S.) and have them shipped!

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/0...than-ever-before-all-seven-torches-in-the-du/

Size & weight comparisons:
http://www.duracell.com/en-US/compare/flashlights.jspx

These are considered floody lights, but they (the 160 lumens versions) are very decent up to about 30 meters. Buy 4 or 5 for the price of a good Surefire!

(I am not knocking Surefires, my E1B is my most carried light, but for being economical, Daylites are pretty good!)

-Hitec-

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

do you have one particular model in mind that yould fit my needs ?

A few suggestions. I have the T20C2 MKII. It is super bright with good throw. I like for indoor and outdoor use. It can use two Cr123a or one 18650 rechargable battery. Run time is much better on one 18650 and I would go that route if you use it alot. If is a little too throwy if you are going to use it up close. In that case you may want a P20C2 MKII. Same exact light but a bit smaller (so it cant use an 18650 and has a smaller reflector for more flood/less throw). Only possible issue is that you can only turn on the lights in medium or high modes. You can't go direct to low. You first have to go to either medium or high and then to low from one of those.

If you are looking at 2AA lights, I really like my Fenix LD20. I can switch it on direct to high (turbo) or low and go from there to the other modes. It is not as bright or throwy as the lights I mentioned above but it does not really compete with those. It would compete with an EagleTac P20A2 MKII. The only reason not to get a 2AA light is if you need more throw or a little more brightness. My LD20 has nowhere near the throw of the T20C2 but up close the brightness is very similar. I have a big tree that I shine my lights on that is about 180ft feet away. The LD20 does not light that tree up well at all where the T20C2 lights that tree up very well. The LD20 does light up a tree very well that is about 45 feet closer so I would put its max usable range around 130 feet.

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Eagletac T20C2 MKII also, and love it. Make sure you get the orange peel version. It also comes with a diffuser if its to throwy.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Eagletac T20C2 MKII also, and love it. Make sure you get the orange peel version. It also comes with a diffuser if its to throwy.

Great point. I forgot about the diffuser

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

Thank you :)
Do you know a good US website for flashlights ? European websites arent cheap.

And the list keeps growing ...It s a very hard choice to buy just one !

Eagletac T20C2 Mk2 with diffuser
Jetbeam Jet-III M (warranty is not that good but I heard it s a very good flashlight)
Ra clicky
Fenix TK11
Quark AA^2
Surefire Lx2 (I dont think I ll buy this one)

I dont really care about the size, about 10 - 15cm (4 inches - 6) is good.
But I'd like a crazy throw (It s a bit stupid but I like it) as long as a very low mode with a really good runtime. Regulation is important too ... damn it's freakin' complicated.

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened

And the list keeps growing ...It s a very hard choice to buy just one !

Eagletac T20C2 Mk2 with diffuser
Jetbeam Jet-III M (warranty is not that good but I heard it s a very good flashlight)
Ra clicky
Fenix TK11
Quark AA^2
Surefire Lx2 (I dont think I ll buy this one)

I dont really care about the size, about 10 - 15cm (4 inches - 6) is good.
But I'd like a crazy throw (It s a bit stupid but I like it) as long as a very low mode with a really good runtime. Regulation is important too ... damn it's freakin' complicated.

If you want lots of throw, you want a high lux reading.

I think of the above list, the Eagletac has (by far) the highest lux reading, followed by the Fenix TK11.

Lux readings for many common torches can be found here: http://www.light-reviews.com/

joyeuxlutin

Newly Enlightened

does anyone know the lux of the AA2 turbo ?

And what about theses :
jetbeam RRT-0
Lumapower D-mini
Ray D1
are they good flashlight ? vs Eagletac t20C2MkII ?

ATM I'm leaning toward the Eagletac, I found it on a french website :
http://neolumen.eu/produits/eagle/T20C2MKII.htm 74€ Wo ship
is it the good version you were talking about tre and vortus ?

18650 is better than RCR123 for the eagletac ?

website says it is not compatible with flat positive 18650 AW 18650-2600mAh is it a problem ?

On the same website I found theses batteries (in french but with pictures)
http://neolumen.eu/produits/AW.htm

I plan on buying 2 18650-2200 and one charger WF139 is it fine ?

Again, thanks for your help, I'd be totaly lost without you

Last edited: