Flashlight w/ 3 colour filters for tracking

Dove

Newly Enlightened
I've started studying with a tracking school. They recommend using a torch with colour filters. As well as white light they recommend:
-red (for forest floor)
-yellow (for grasslands and lawns)
-blue (for snow and ice)

Either AA, AAA or CR123 is ideal as I could be away from mains power for upto a week at a time and with multiple output levels or at least a low level option(I find most low levels aren't low enough for working with red at night).

The smaller the better as I'll be more likely to carry it around everwhere.

I'm having problems finding something with a yellow filter. Your recommendations would be appreciated.
The budget is less than £80 ($120 usd) but I'm more interested in getting what i want.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I don't know of any yellow flashlight filters, offhand. Seems unlikely since a yellow beam is pretty easy to get with an incandescent. Just not much demand for a more yellowy beam than that.

I have a Fenix TK20 with red, blue, and green slip-on filters. The TK20 has a very warm, yellowish beam already. You could always buy an extra filter, break out the colored lens, and add some photographic filter material (it comes in small sheets).

Dove

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your replies. You guys rock! :thumbsup:
I've spent hours looking for something that fits my needs and came up with nothing.

The quark RGB looks ideal. I shall investigate further and let you know how i get on.

Dove

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I've started studying with a tracking school. They recommend using a torch with colour filters. As well as white light they recommend:
-red (for forest floor)
-yellow (for grasslands and lawns)
-blue (for snow and ice)

Those specific tracking purposes for the different colors are a little bit different from what are usually discussed here as the purpose of different colored light.

Normally most people would recommend using different colored LEDs instead of using filters over a single white light, but since I'm not very familiar with the color uses you listed, you might want to ask your tracking school first if colored LEDs will work ok for the type of tracking their doing.

The reason I say this is that colored LEDs normally only produce a single wavelength and will be much more contrasty than color filters. It's usually near impossible to discern color differences between objects viewed with a single color LED, while with colored filters over a white light some of the other wavelengths still get through and you can sometimes still make out different colors.

It might turn out that the extreme contrast of colored LEDs might be beneficial to the types of tracking you're doing, but then again, it might not.

So, I suggest checking with your tracking school first.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Those specific tracking purposes for the different colors are a little bit different from what are usually discussed here as the purpose of different colored light.

Normally most people would recommend using different colored LEDs instead of using filters over a single white light, but since I'm not very familiar with the color uses you listed, you might want to ask your tracking school first if colored LEDs will work ok for the type of tracking their doing.

The reason I say this is that colored LEDs normally only produce a single wavelength and will be much more contrasty than color filters. It's usually near impossible to discern color differences between objects viewed with a single color LED, while with colored filters over a white light some of the other wavelengths still get through and you can sometimes still make out different colors.

It might turn out that the extreme contrast of colored LEDs might be beneficial to the types of tracking you're doing, but then again, it might not.

So, I suggest checking with your tracking school first.

Yes, who made these requirements?

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: Dove.

Not really within your current budget, but the SureFire Kroma might fit your requirements (can't think of a single light that would, BTW). I too think you'd be better off with different LED colors than filters. Filters are so... yesterday, that's probably why they were suggested.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
You can always go to the Pro level camera stores, and get the Gel samples, and tape them on the front.

Really, there are only four really good camera stores left in the US, but if you live in New York, or LA the lighting and grip supplies all have them.

Problem solved!