17mm - 18mm round PCB

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
While tearing apart a module for my T20C2 I was wondering where I might be able to purchase a few of the PCB bases used to cap off the bottom of the modules.

They don't appear to have any chips on them but seem to just have contact points for pos and neg. I tried looking at KD and DX but honestly don't know what they are called to do a proper search. No luck finding anything similar at either of those places.

Hopefully someone sells these as I'd like to have a couple spares in case the original gets screwed up or I decide to go direct drive with the T20C2.

1. What is the proper name for these ?
2. Where can they be purchased ?

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
That's close but this PCB has no chips on it.
It doesn't even appear to have any connections to put chips on it.

The only contacts it appears to have are for pos and neg. With two gold plated contact rings on the back. One large in the middle for connection with the battery via a soldered on spring and another for soldering to the pill on the edges.

I wonder if it would be possible to pull all the chips off one of those and use that stripped PCB like the one being used in the T20C2 PCB...

Last edited:

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
Okay, crappy pics are uploaded in hopes to better explain what I am trying to describe.

Someday I'll buy a real camera... :ohgeez:

Even with the out of focus pics you can see there are no chips on the "LED" side of the PCB. Simply connection wires. Two of those wires came from the driver board, which is not pictured.
001ahq.jpg

On the battery side you can see the central large contact point with a spring soldered to it and a thinner outer contact point.
The entire PCB is held in place by a gold plated ring that fits into the bottom of the module.
002az.jpg

I'm guessing the AMC7135 boards could be stripped and used like the one pictured but if it's possible to buy the boards already made, that would make me happier.
I just have no idea what they are called or what terms to search for in order to come up with the right answer.

Searching for terms like direct drive on CPF yielded 6,250 results. I'm on page 65 with no idea where to find the right post without searching every single one of them.

:eek:oo:

All this PCB board appears to be is a bottom fitting for the pill that provides connections for the LED and battery. So what is this type of board called ?

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant make it out clearly but i can guess. It is probably a pass-through board which means the LED is directly driven(no driver in between) by the battery.

Last edited:

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.. No luck on searching that term.

You wouldn't happen to know where to buy those would you ?

If all else fails, I can just try cannibalizing some AMC7135 boards from DX and try those.

I was surprised that these aren't readily available. It's not like they would be hard to make or sell.

ETA:

Well I just found some interesting info on printing your own PCB using toner and etching.
Very interesting stuff. That would be a 3rd option but way out of my league.
Even something as simple as the PCB above is beyond my current skill set.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the particular style of teh KD boards....Yse a heat gun on the bach side and the chips and diodes will fall right off...I did exactly that

this pic was used for other purposes but it shows how easy it is to wire it

piggypackdrivercombo.jpg

Thre are ready made connections for the + & - wires..and the board can be trimed down to 16 ? mm too...

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
Go with the particular style of teh KD boards....Yse a heat gun on the bach side and the chips and diodes will fall right off...I did exactly that

this pic was used for other purposes but it shows how easy it is to wire it

piggypackdrivercombo.jpg

Thre are ready made connections for the + & - wires..and the board can be trimed down to 16 ? mm too...

After talking with a few people via email and PM here, that was the conclusion we came to as well.

Though this wasn't a lost cause, I learned quite a bit about PCB design and techniques. I never knew you could print your own PCBs on your own printer then etch them at home. Whoda thunk it. :duh2:

With the sheer number of P60 style drop-ins out there, you would think that someone would have designed these battery contact boards already and would be selling them quite well. It's not like there isn't a market for them and the simple design could be scaled up or down for different projects.

Researching this has helped learn quite a bit but also shows how much I don't know. Still it might be worth it to learn how to design a simple circuit like this and print them at home. Some manufacturers offer such low cost delivery with low number orders, they are a feasible option now. With less wait than ordering from DX or KD I might add.

It's not like 17mm Direct Drive is going to go away any time soon, someone could corner a niche market on these things before I learn how to design them myself. Bigger sizes would be a simple increase in design scale and clicking print...

My order is in at DX for some 350mA PCBs to butcher but I'm still going to check out printing them at home. That sounds like a cool DIY project to learn some good stuff on.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i do not know about printing but you also have to count for both side printing and the way they connect...

dusty2

Newly Enlightened
This is similar to what I am looking for only this one is just under 32mm and is simply the battery contact plate in a flashlight.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
isn't there prototype pcbs? Cut a round one, using a hole for center and put a wire in there. then twist it round and put a big blob of solde. That will take care of the +battery contact.

do the same around the rim and solder on the brass ring too...

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
This is similar to what I am looking for only this one is just under 32mm and is simply the battery contact plate in a flashlight.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I ended up buying some AMC7135 350mA boards in a 20 pack and just remove the 7135 chip and the diode to use the PCB as a battery contact only board.

Not sure where to get 32mm boards, sorry I can't be of more help on that.
kosPap is on the right track for that size, 32mm will more than likely be a do it yourself size PCB.