Cleaning a new light or how fussy can you get?

drmaxx

Enlightened
Just got a brand new Quark AA2. Very happy with brightness and IU - especially the easy access to min and max.

However, the screwing down the caps was somewhat 'crunchy' - not bad but distinct. The threads looked nice and lubed and had a good fit. But the crunch just was bugging me. So I sat down and cleaned the threads and re-lubed everything. And now everything turns nice and smooth - and I feel this satisfied sensation with having something great in my hand.

How fussy is that? There must be something wrong with me to find satisfaction in cleaning a new light - just to have the perfect feel. I don't care about nicks or dings - flashlights are here to be used. But mechanical issues - even cosmetic ones just bug the *beep* out of me. :shakehead

Larbo

Enlightened
Crunchy threads seem to be the norm with Ti lights...Thats usually the first thing I do is a good cleaning and relube.
This also gets repeated often till the threads get worn in a bit.

ragweed

Enlightened
I have cleaned a new light with grimy threads. Sometimes something like this just happens.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cleaning and lubing my lights never really hit my mind till I started here. So we took all ours apart, cleaned and lubed them. Made a big difference.
:ohgeez:

Though, not sure which light, I suspect the red maglites, after we washed the rags we used, had a bunch of little holes where something had eaten through the fabric.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must admit I don't always clean a new light. If it's somewhat lubed and works right it's good for awhile. Now crunchy threads is something else. That would have to go as soon as possible.

Geoff

jankj

Enlightened
My quarks most certainly improved A LOT by cleaning out various grit from the threads and lubing them.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always clean and relube my lights every so often. I haven't had any problems with grittiness in the threads though, but I have noticed that some of my lights didn't have much grease in them when they were brand new and right out of the boxes. That's why as a general rule, I relube even brand new lights.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far the process with all my lights has been.

Separate all different body/tailcap/head sections.
Remove O-rings.
Wipe O-rings and threads down with dry cloth to remove excess/factory lube.
Then get a razor, fold cloth over back edge and clean out the actual threading itself. Repeat until cloth is coming away mostly clean (this step to remove loose ano or grime).
Place a small, but even layer of lube in o-ring slot.
Put O-ring(s) back in place.
Apply lube on threads and top of O-ring.

Check the tailcap for looseness. Tighten if necessary, or applicable.

Re-assemble light.

Repeat (A) before camping or (B) when threads feel dry or gritty.

-------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty sure I have OCD, LOL!

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

That seems like a very sound procedure, same as I've done w/ my lights.

The other "up" side to this also takes care of any loose parts, drop-ins, etc. before they turn into a :poof: I mean how often does a new member post; "my new light worked then quit!!!!" and most often its just a loose bit inside.....

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no use spending the sort of dollars we do on these lights and not look after them.

I do about the same as John Galt though sometimes I even replace the stock O-rings with better quality ones as the stock ones are often not well made. I also wash the threads in alcohol, gets rid of everything.

My EX10 SP had REALLY bad O-rings (the smaller one at the head split after the third time I unscrewed it) but now it is flawless.

The tail cap O-ring on my Quark AA2 Tactical was not uniform in thickness so it too was replaced.

If you look after you tools, they will look after you. That's something my father always told me and it's proved to be true so far.