Night-Vision (Red) Flashlight Suggestions?

Windex

Newly Enlightened
I carry several flashlights at work, all of which are more then capable of blinding at distances I work with.

What I'm looking for now, is a small, durable red light. I need something that won't mess up my night vision when slowly navigating through a desert area.... Also would use it to make notes in a note pad while laying prone.

I am hoping to find something for a "decent" price, I have to slip this one by the wife and hope she doesn't notice.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might consider the Photon Proton Pro. This light combines a red LED that starts at low level and can ramp to its brightest, plus a high power white LED that starts at high and ramps down. There are also blinky modes and the best pocket clip around. This is a one AA light.

Geoff

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what a "decent" price is.

The best for what you want is the Surefire L1 in a red LED.

If you get it used, it might be around $85 (this is a guess).

Even one of the older gen models will do for what your needs are.

Relojero

Newly Enlightened
Consider the Inova X5 with six red leds. Uses only one cr123, has a simple UI, and is probably bombproof.

These can be found pretty regularly on e Bay at fair prices.

Mike

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may also want to consider the Zebralight H501R which is a single AA headlamp that is all flood. It doesn't have any throw, but the wide area illumination is great when you are walking in a dark area and only need to see the immediate area. It's also great for reading. The light also comes with a clip mount for attaching to pack straps, etc. and it also tail stands if you have a nice flat area to set down your map, book, etc.

I work night shift at a water plant and use a white H60 clipped to my suspenders as my general area illumination when doing my rounds every night. I also have an H30 modified with a red LED that I use when working with my telescope. I clip it to my pocket for general use and tailstand it at the edge of my star maps when referencing them.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I would look for a white tint multi-mode LED with a filter kit. That way you can go back and forth.
I think the gerber UI comes in a red LED.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Peak Eiger can be had with a red LED - order it in any of eight power levels from very, very low, to blazing.

I have an Eiger with the red Rebel at level 1, medium optic and honestly it's not very, very low, in fact I think it's too bright to preserve night vision properly. Heck, I think it's worthy of being a bike light, when I first got it, my eyes were dark adapted and I held my hand in front of me and shined it on my hand and it actually made me shut my eyes.