Questions about EagleTac T20C2

vbmike73

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to buy a T20C2, and was wondering what the two different types are. I can't get ahold of anyone at EagleTac-USA.com via phone, and I can't find a phone number for EagleTac direct in AZ, so I'm at a loss.

As I'm sure many of you know, the 2 models are:

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 380 Lumen [ET/T20/R5]

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-E Neutral White [ET/T20/NW]

The first one says somethig about 380 lumens, but then it also says 300 lumens. The second one only says 300 lumens I believe. I know lumens isn't everything, and I'm trying to figure out which one would have more throw. Any ideas what the differences are?

somename

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to buy a T20C2, and was wondering what the two different types are. I can't get ahold of anyone at EagleTac-USA.com via phone, and I can't find a phone number for EagleTac direct in AZ, so I'm at a loss.

As I'm sure many of you know, the 2 models are:

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 380 Lumen [ET/T20/R5]

EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-E Neutral White [ET/T20/NW]

The first one says somethig about 380 lumens, but then it also says 300 lumens. The second one only says 300 lumens I believe. I know lumens isn't everything, and I'm trying to figure out which one would have more throw. Any ideas what the differences are?

The 380 lumens on the first one is the lumens output from the LED emitter directly at the emitter. The 300 lumens on the first light is the Out the Front (OTF) measurement which is basically what the actual output of the light is after factoring in the lense efficiency. So the 300 OTF is the best way to compare between other lights that give OTF values.

The second one says 300 lumens, but this is probably emitter lumens. If you are talking about this light.
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-154-6872

Then the OTF value is 190 lumen (OTF) which it states in the specs.

The biggest difference between the two is the color tint of the LED. The application you use the light for may make one more preferred over the other. For outdoors you many people light the lower lumen Neutral tint LED. I have the T20C2 MKII with the XP-G R5 (OP reflector) and also purchased the MKII XP-E Neutral white OP reflector and the smooth reflector.

After using the lower lumen Neutral white LED modules outside I will probably never use the XP-G R5 outdoors again. Even my (non-flashaholic) father-in law asked "what led does that light have, the grass actually looks green?". I had to explain to him it was the same light but with a Neutral white LED.

Comparing the Neutral white with the smooth reflector and the OP reflector, I prefer the OP reflector since it does not have the dark spots in the beam. Both have slight rings when shining at a white wall (much less with the OP reflector), but the smooth reflector seemed to show the dark spots outside some.

The OP reflector XP-E Neutral and XP-G Cool white seemed to throw similar for me, but I didn't take pictures for absolute comparisons. However outside the Neutral version was well worth the drop in lumens for me.

Sorry for the length. Hope this is helpful. You can also purchase which ever T20C2 MKII version you want to start with and then buy the other tint LED module for less than $25. So basically its like having both. :thumbsup:

vbmike73

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Thanks for the info. Ok, so now I realize there are FOUR different options! Too many decisions. So does the OP reflector throw further than the smooth, generally speaking, or do I have that backwards?

vbmike73

Newly Enlightened
And when they say a drop-in, is that another bulb as well, or just a reflector? In other words, if if I get a drop-in, would that act as a spare if the other one goes out.

somename

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Thanks for the info. Ok, so now I realize there are FOUR different options! Too many decisions. So does the OP reflector throw further than the smooth, generally speaking, or do I have that backwards?

I will probably never try the XP-G R5 with the smooth reflector due to numerous reports of the center of the beam being dark light a donut hole. I also read that the OP reflector will throw further than the smooth reflector using the XP-G R5, this verified by the higher lux measurements that were recorded from Selfbuilt.

Selfbuilt recorded (using 2-cr123 cells) 9500lux with the smooth reflector and 9800lux with the OP reflector. This type of result (OP having higher lux and farther throw) is not typical as Selfbuilt mentions, but it is a characteristic of Eagletac nice reflector design.

For the Neutral white they seem to throw very similar however the OP reflector has a smoother transition from the center of the beam (hotspot) to the outter edges (flood). So with the OP reflector the neutral beam does seem to be missing anything.

My personal preference.

For a Cool White beam - XP-G R5 with the OP reflector.

For a neutral white beam - XP-E Q4 with OP reflector (better color rendition).

When they say drop-in that is all the electronics (driver), LED, and reflector in one compact package. The link ti-force provided shows it.

Important detail...
Remember, the modules are threaded for counter-clockwise. So when first removing it from the light it seems backwards to have to turn clockwise to loosen the module.

If you purchase another module it can be used as a spare, but you'll want to specify your choice of Cool/Neutral white and you have to also pick between the OP/smooth reflectors (4 options).

I have 3 modules now to select from, but with the LEDs lasting 50,000hrs it may be a long time before the LED goes out.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

Generally speaking, smooth reflectors throw further and Orange peel reflectors smooth out the beam at the cost of throw. However on the Eagletac T20C2 MkII R5 the OP actually throws just as well-even a smidgen farther while smoothing out the beam. I personally don't see any use for a smooth reflector with the R5.

Somename - do think the Q4 throws as far as the R5? With the Q4 led is there much of a difference between the smooth and OP reflector?