help, LX2, no low mode!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just received my LX2 today, and it doesnt want to go into low mode. ive tried everything i can.

i would slowly twist the cap, and it just jumps to high mode. it sometimes goes into low, but during constance on low, it only takes maybe 2 degrees turn to go into high, or if in low mode, i would press the tailcap, and it would stay in high.

its very difficult to activate low with the tailcap also. and most the time i cant. and if i did have momentary low, its very difficult to stay on low because the switch is so sensitive.

im was going to be using this light along with my quark 123-2T R5 for work. the quark is my close range/flood, beater/loaner light, and was going to use the LX2 as my thrower. so i dont really think i need a low, but i still want the light as it was suppose to be, also theres the chance of future problems since the tailswitch seems defective already.

this is also my first surefire, so im not completely familiar with the interface, but from what ive gathered something is not right.

other than that, im really liking the beam. nice hotspot, with a wide tapering spill. it does have a few rings, but its only noticeble on a white wall. tint is warmer than the quark XP-G. build quality is very good.

im not ready to give up on the LX2 yet, but do you guys think i should exchange it for an E2DL?

also, when twisting the tailcap off and on, i can hear the spring.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
im using the surefire cells, that came with the light, im going to measure the cells right now with my multimeter.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first I have read about a LX2 not functioning properly but maybe I have missed some others. skyfire like carrot suggests if you cannot correct the problem yourself contact Surefire they will take care of you promptly.

Fooboy

Enlightened
Not normal.

1. Call Surefire
2. Surefire sends you new tailcap no questions asked (and likely lets you keep old one)
3. ???
4. Profit.

:D

Entrekman

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you have a broken tail switch. My L1 did the same thing after a few months. The low power contact tab is bent inwards and is touching the high power contact. I try not to screw in the switch too hard when switching to high.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the all the help,

imagine my surprise when i tried out the light! i really wasnt expecting it. just my luck though, my first fenix a few months ago was defective, and so was my first surefire. i have read about a faulty tailcap on the LX2 before, because of its complicated design or whatever.

anyways, i talked to the dealer whom i purchased it from, and im exchanging it for a E2DL to avoid this problem. btw, Victoria from spyder tactical supply is awesome!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spydertactical and Victoria really is awesome she has answered my e-mail's more quickly then anyone and always found a helpful answers to any question I asked her.

Processing and shipping is always fast if not faster then even some of our best dealers. Anyway back to your light's maybe your faulty switch actually turned out not to be not such a bad thing to happen the E2DL is my absolute favorite 2xcr123 Surefire light but I also prefer clickys and the beam, output runtimes seem identical to my LX2. Of course the body's are different but I actually prefer the thinner E2DL with the nice knurling especially with a Z61 clicky.

So if you ship it back Priority I'm sure Victoria will immediately ship you a E2DL back, hopefully you should have your light by the end of the week.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spydertactical and Victoria really is awesome she has answered my e-mail's more quickly then anyone and always found a helpful answers to any question I asked her.

Processing and shipping is always fast if not faster then even some of our best dealers. Anyway back to your light's maybe your faulty switch actually turned out not to be not such a bad thing to happen the E2DL is my absolute favorite 2xcr123 Surefire light but I also prefer clickys and the beam, output runtimes seem identical to my LX2. Of course the body's are different but I actually prefer the thinner E2DL with the nice knurling especially with a Z61 clicky.

So if you ship it back Priority I'm sure Victoria will immediately ship you a E2DL back, hopefully you should have your light by the end of the week.

thats exactly what happened, she told me she would ship out the e2dl the next day(today), so i shipped the lx2 back that same day(yesterday).

i think i will really like the e2dl as well. only thing is the aggressive cren bezel, is alittle too aggressive LOL. but if the light is a keeper, i just might grind it down.