"Silver Star II" Triple SST-90 with D2Flex *videolink added*

overdog

Enlightened
Hello,
tonight I put some parts together, not really different to my "Black Star" triple SST-90 and "Dark Star" quad SST-90, which I both do not own any more, but it was not a good feeling to have no really powerful light at home- so I decided to take FiveMaga´s Elephant II chrome plated host to rebuild the "Black Star"- only difference should be the reflectors: In my "Black Star" I used some modified Ledil Boom-S for SSC-P7, "Dark Star" already got Ledil Lily-S with narrow beam for SST-90. I wanted to have better throw, so I used some P60 drop-in´s from DX, modified them, and here are the results:

All the parts togehter:
imas0kh9ps9r7sbwn3x5nkj3b3b.jpg

The reflectors: in behind the original ones- I only had a rasp and my fingers, so please forgive me for unexactly craftmanship...:
q1zxpn54vt8dh38j5xqplo6lud7.jpg

All the emitters in their place, soldered with my still very big, bloody and wound fingers:
tysphbpqv6dri1vs6lspqqnahwz.jpg

The whole FiveMega Elephant II host: thank you FM for this absolutely beautyful host:
xsx6utfitmoagxumfta1orlqn8p.jpg

The emitters behind big glass:
sttmup1q9ey549yoj3clavte5l7.jpg

Beamshot at white wall:
453xkt54epdzmeb75hcfoac15iy.jpg

Controlshot with XPG-R5 module, powered by IMR 16340 battery:
dehegtt95nibs9m1o6c2dpbu5eb.jpg

"Silver Star II" triple SST-90 with D2Flex:
e2mrb0f963oygrte61lxc6dcdad.jpg

Click here for the videolink !

Thank you for watching & best regards from Frankfurt,
Steffen.
:wave:

Last edited:

flashfiend

Enlightened
Re: "Silver Star II" Triple SST-90 with D2Flex

Another great overdog build. Just wondering if you have ever considered Der Wichtel's triple LED heatsink for your triple builds?

aurum

Enlightened

Der Wichtel's triple LED heatsink would have been a better choice than downloads multisink
smilie_icq_47.gif
Mettees 3*SSR-50 build is great ... He used MCE reflectors. P7 reflectors should work with SSR-90.

overdog

Enlightened

Mettees build inspired me to do another triple SST-90 build with different reflector setup for better throw- I ordered a triple P7 heatsink with P7 reflectors from DerWichtel, when they arrived, I compared them to the DX- reflectors- both are almost simmilar in result: better throw, also for SST-90, not only for SST-50s like in Mettees build- that was, what the improvement for my second triple SST-90 build should be. But then I decided not to rasp down the DerWichtel Kit- this will receive, what it is made for: a triple P7 setup in an other light- I decided to rasp down the DX reflectors- and I made good experiences with Downloads Multisink- on full power heat directly goes out of the head and so the heatsink does its job... Something more about the reflectors- if you just bore them out with 9mm for the SST-90 and do not cut them down in lenght, they have really very good throw- but in full lenght they do not fit in the mag-head... Something to do for an other project...

Mettee

Enlightened

Super cool build overdog. Good idea using the P60 reflectors. It gets tough to make your ideal combo of parts work when they wont fit in the space allowed. I hate it when that happens. I am currently working on a 5 emitter build and that is what I am running up against. I was lucky enough to come across some of the best reflectors I have ever seen and I really want to use them, but space is not being kind to me :)

I really like the throw and spill that this ones creates...wish I could see it in person!

ETA: I had to post fast before but I wanted to ask if you had removed the edge on the download sink? That would allow it to drop into the head a little more and make room for more reflector.

And Overdog, PM me I might have a heatsink solution for you for another build if you want to have "more room" for reflectors and not lose mass on the sink.

drew

Last edited:

overdog

Enlightened

Hello Drew,
thank you for offering help and ideas, I will come back to it...
I did not remove the edge, this would have meant also to reduce the mass of the sink for another 50% not using the onscrewed backside of the sink... (does "onscrewed"exist in english? :thinking:...) - Did I mention, that this light/ the host is able to glow in the dark without GITD powder after 30 seconds of using it on high :whistle:...

The other problem is, that three of these reflectors one besides each other will not fit into a Mag head with their original diameter, its not only the lenght- But I compared one cut down to an original sized reflector- its no big difference between them in efficiency. But compared to the Black Star this light has better throw- on high its really blinding if you point at a white wall about 20 meters away and look in the middle of the reflected light... I wanted to get some more beamshots but a wire popped off, so maybe next weekend...:popcorn:

Mettee

Enlightened

ok I see what you are saying. And I would have decided the same as you more than likely. More mass is always better.