Did the flashlight save his life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno. I'm glad he was fine - there's a reason an officer will stand behind your shoulder; it really takes a looooooooooooooong move for you to get anything pointed there. Most of the "light saves life" stories I hear are from seeing; but I suspect that a mag-charger will dazzle aim, especially drunk aim.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say you might be right. It appears as though the driver withdraws his weapon after being lit up and then tries to fire at the cop who, while not out of the line of fire, is already moving towards the rear of vehicle. Whatever the case was, bad guy came out on the losing end. Bottom line, cop goes home to his family.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
Didn't look like there was much ambient light, so any decent flashlight directed at the guy's face would have dazzled him for a moment - which is probably a factor in saving the cop's life.

Roger999

Enlightened
From the comments, a lot of people said the gun didn't fire the first time the trigger was pulled.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the "light saves life" stories I hear are from seeing; but I suspect that a mag-charger will dazzle aim, especially drunk aim.

Not discounting the physical effect of alcohol/drugs on the pupil's reaction time (and it's ability to react to light) I'd say training & equipment (namely the Mag-charger) significantly increased this Policeman's chances for a beneficial outcome :thumbsup:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong things here but I reckon the only thing that saved that officer's life was sheer luck. If the pistol had fired as soon as it went out that window he'd be dead. Looks to me like it misfired just as the bloke pokes it at the officer's head.

Roger999

Enlightened
So he had a problem with the gun, fixed it in THAT situation, then fired?

Sorry, I'm not buying that...
The guy stuck the gun out of the window, gun doesn't go off, sticks it back into car, brings it back out a second later and shoots.......What do you suggest might have happened? The shooter forgot how to pull the trigger?

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Luck is a factor in anything involving human endeavour :D
Don't you mean destiny? lol Jk.

Really I think it was either just a conincdince that he pulled the light up at the same time as the gun came out the window.
OR either the driver reaching for something made the officer pull the light. Or the driver decided to pull the gun based on the officer pulling something from his belt/side.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
What do you suggest might have happened? The shooter forgot how to pull the trigger?
I'm with you.

It doesn't seem that the shooter forgot to pull the trigger to me. It may be backgound noise but I'm hearing a click the first time it came out at the officer's head just as though he snapped it on an empty. Then he pulls the gun back into the cabin and half a mo later out it comes again and fires.

Rat6P

Enlightened
Maybe he just left the safety on.....or even just plain forgot to rack it back first. If it was an auto...I cant really see

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Interesting that nobody has commented on how many times the cop fired at the fleeing vehicle! Did he conflate himself with Steven Seagal?

That has to constitute excessive/dangerous use of a firearm in a public place surely? That sort of irresponsible behaviour from a LEO would never be tolerated in Australia.

Granted, the guy in the truck was obviously a psycho, but by spraying the area with all those rounds, the cop achieved absolutely... zilch. And only potentially endangered the lives of any other bystanders/passersby.

I'm glad I live downunder when I see this sort of stuff! :(

—Jack.

Illum

Flashaholic
moving towards the rear of the vehicle the deputy effectively placed himself in the blindspot of the car, its a very awkward direction to move your arm at if your sitting in the driver seat. I think this is what saved him, not necessarily the light. IIRC chambering a pistol requires both hands, I only saw one arm...its more likely that the safety is on that caused the brief "delay" between "pulled gun" and "pop"

from the relative direction in which his service piece was aiming at, its likely that the suspect either incurred wounds, or sped off with his head under the steering wheel to crash into the pole.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Interesting that nobody has commented on how many times the cop fired at the fleeing vehicle! Did he conflate himself with Steven Seagal?

That has to constitute excessive/dangerous use of a firearm in a public place surely? That sort of irresponsible behaviour from a LEO would never be tolerated in Australia.

Granted, the guy in the truck was obviously a psycho, but by spraying the area with all those rounds, the cop achieved absolutely... zilch. And only potentially endangered the lives of any other bystanders/passersby.

I'm glad I live downunder when I see this sort of stuff! :(

—Jack.

Umm, the drunk shot at a police officer and could have easily shot any innocent bystanders beyond the traffic stop. I thought it was excessive at first until I thought about it. I would think that was his training kicking in. When I took a gun safety course, I was taught to never point a gun at a person unless you plan to shoot them and never shoot unless you plan to kill. The man shot first. I think the officer was well within his rights and it was justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.