McFlood in a Grey kit, doesn't quite fit

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
McFlood in a Grey kit, doesn\'t quite fit

I just tried installing a McFlood in my Arc Grey kit. The head on this kit says it's first run #1665. The lip on the business end of the McFlood is apparently just a hair bigger than the NX-05, as the optic fits into the opening of the Grey's bezel and the McFlood just barely doesn't. This means I can't screw the head fully together. I guess I could dremel the McFlood's lip a little, but I don't want to ruin the plating.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: McFlood in a Grey kit, doesn\'t quite fit

The plating makes the McFlood a touch larger. You can simply rotate the rim against a very fine file just until the plating comes off the rim and it will fit. I have done this more than once already..

yclo

Flashaholic*

It's a pity that the McFlood doesn't just drop in, but even if it did there'd be no lens. The search continues... or maybe I should just stick to NX-05's in the Grey Kits.

-YC

hideo

Enlightened

just tried this in mine and the reflector drops in beautifully, but with the plastic retaining ring screwed into the head, the base of the McFlood hovers above the LS dome--if I leave the plastic ring out completely, the head screws down beautifully, but the light don't light

anyplace you can get a skinnier threaded ring? (I'm assuming this is an off the shelf item?)--I would try sawing about 3 mm off with a jeweller's saw, but I'drather get another

the lack of lens thing don't bug me too much--brighter! It will lead a sheltered life anyway

SIDE NOTE--how sensitive are the components on the grey kit board to soldering heat? ... I'd like to swap the greenie emitter out for ... say an R2H, but I'm merely an OK solder guy ... any advice? ... horror stories?

thanks hideo

hideo

Enlightened

nudge the thread

hideo

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

i managed to swap out the unknown LS in my grey kit for a Q4H without too many problems. The centering is a bit iffy, but it works fine.