Can CPF influence light manufacturers to include tint bin information?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...included with usual specs, expressed as letter/numeral followed by very brief description.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can CPF influence manufacturers to include tint bin information?

depends. which ones are we talking about?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Can CPF influence manufacturers to include tint bin information?

Lights that inspire discussion and eventual purchase on CPF.

Brightnorm

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most unlikely.

The manufacturers can not always get the same bins from their LED manufacturers or distributers. So if they commit to a specific bin, and that bin is not available, what do they do? Close down the factory?

The only time manufacturers will commit to a specific bin is in limited runs where they already have the LEDs in stock.
-
Such as 7A3 or 7B4 with a Q5 flux for 4sevens WARMS. Note 4sevens can not confirm the EXACT bin.
-
Most neutral white I've seen so far are 5A or 5B. The last 2 reels 4sevens got was 4C0 and 4D0.

LED changes are moving so fast some manufacturers can not keep the type of LED straight in their literature. Many XR-E listed lights are showing up with XP-E or XP-C LEDs in them.

harlequinn

Newly Enlightened
But what about just including information on the bin used with the torch?

I think they could do it but they wouldn't want to. Doing it would create a large administrative burden and may unduly influence a buyer.

GreySave

Enlightened
I would not expect it to happen. Folks like us are most likely the minority as far as sales overall making it more of a hassle than it may be worth.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
Slightly OT here; sorry...

Can someone point me in the direction of a discussion/site/thread explaining (for a noob like me!) about the chemistry of an emitter that describes how and why LED tints vary, why their tints are apparently (within reason) random and unpredictable, and why they can't be standardised — or at least sorted accurately into bins at the manufacturers?

Assuming you're using the same batch of phosphor for a batch, why then do you end up with different colour temperatures anyway, considering that you're powering them with identical current/voltage sources?

I've checked it out on Wiki, but it's all too complicated and high-tech for someone like me, expecially when they start talking about cerium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet etc etc etc!

—TIA, Jack. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think any manufacturer would do this, as it would limit the continuity of supply. If they advertised a Q4-5A then their production would be on hold (or the constant threat of it) until those BINs are available from their suppliers.

Cree does not manufacture specific flux or color BINs. They (flux & tint) are tested for and found, not made specifically.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Slightly OT here; sorry...

Can someone point me in the direction of a discussion/site/thread explaining (for a noob like me!) about the chemistry of an emitter that describes how and why LED tints vary, why their tints are apparently (within reason) random and unpredictable, and why they can't be standardised — or at least sorted accurately into bins at the manufacturers?

Assuming you're using the same batch of phosphor for a batch, why then do you end up with different colour temperatures anyway, considering that you're powering them with identical current/voltage sources?

I've checked it out on Wiki, but it's all too complicated and high-tech for someone like me, expecially when they start talking about cerium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet etc etc etc!

—TIA, Jack. :)
they are produced in batches of similar tint groups at the manufacturer, and binned accordingly at the manufacturer.

the variation today is an order of magnitude better than 3+ years ago, and the bins themselves are MUCH smaller.

Dan FO

Enlightened
CPf is so small in the overall scheme of the flashlight market that it would not make sense for a large light manufacturer to lock themselves in. Look at Surefire and the lumens packaging. Let's face the facts here, most people that buy flashlights don't even know what tint is. ;) Maybe 1 in 100,000 people that own a flashlight belong to CPF and that is on the high side.