Quark Regular question

NotForNothin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
Can anyone here tell me if putting the Tactical tailcap on the Regular will give the it the momentary on capability that it lacks?

I'm looking to order a Quark and want the UI of the Regular but would like the momentary on of the Tactical and I did see the Tactical tailcap for sale on their website.

I emailed 4sevens with the question yesterday but haven't heard back yet and I'm getting anxious as my main light up until recently has quit on me, so I'm using my backup, which lacks several features of that now-kaput light.

Chris P.

GreySave

Enlightened
Yes, the tactical cap will give you momentary use. I purchased a number of them and the quality has been hit and miss. Some work fine and some seem to have issues where one press can change the mode of the light by more than one step. Everything is tight and when the reverse clicky is reinstalled it works fine. It is almost as though in some cases the switch is too sensitive or loses continuity for a moment and thus advances the mode by more than one step. Not a big deal and the bang for the buck is still well worth it.

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
You'll kinda get momentary-on capability but there isn't a persistent mode-memory with the regular UI, so after ~3s of off time you start back at the beginning of the mode cycle and you'll be cycling through the modes with each half-press. Useful for selecting your mode using half-presses before you commit to clicking-on, or if you just want full-blast all the time you could run it with the bezel tightened and leave it off for ~3s before actuating again (thus avoiding the strobe). If you need true momentary on capability that won't change modes with each half-press and will come on in the last state, you'll have to go with the tactical UI. The tactical can memorize any two modes which are selected by tightening or loosening the bezel. Hope this helps!

NotForNothin

Newly Enlightened
You've both been very helpful, thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. I guess now I need to decide between the regular and the tactical. I'm starting to worry that I'll get one of them now and if I like it, I'll end up getting the other eventually. :faint: Not necessarily a bad thing, of course. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Go for the Tactical. Since it can be reprogrammed so quickly, there's no issue of not having the right modes available. I constantly reprogram mine depending on what my needs will be: hiking, biking, or just general purpose, I change settings before an outing.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Go for the Tactical. Since it can be reprogrammed so quickly, there's no issue of not having the right modes available. I constantly reprogram mine ......
In real life use that's about how it goes for me too.

I fitted "tactical" switches to all my "regular" quarks, firstly because I hate reverse switches and secondly because I simply can't get my thumb into the quark regular switch far enough to actually operate it consistently or comfortably.

What I found wiht the tactical switch on the "regular" was that yes, it did give a sort of momentary in the "head tight" setting, but with every second momentary press the torch would be in strobe unless I waited about four or five seconds which in real life can seem an age (in fact it operated just like my older model Eagletac p20c2). In the "head loose" setting each momentarypress would step me up a brightness level until I fell accidently into the blinky modes or left it off long enough that it went automatically back to the completely useless (to me) moonlight mode.

I gave up and bought some Quark tactical model torches and programmed them to the max and second brightest modes. I found that in the rare cases when I needed a "third" dimmer mode, I could re-program the light quickly enough anyway. I do feel that it would be nice it they had that third mode at a single twist-untwist like my beloved new Eagletac p20c2 MkII though.